Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Would a llama make a good pet?
  • cinnamon_girl

Help! During my little bike pootle today, I saw a field full of small llamas including some gorgeous brown ones 8)

I miss having a pet, I really do and keep thinking about how cute they looked 😥

So … does anyone have a pet llama? What sort of looking after do they need? Can they be house-trained? Or should they live in the garden full-time?

Thank you so much!

Jamie
    Free Member

I think the only people who can keep a llama are buddhist farmers.

A llama farmer who wouldn't harm her because of karma if you will.

IGMC.

…in fact i will just take the coat rack.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I could be your pet but years of training has failed in respect of me being house trained 😳

Elaine what about a pigmy goat, fresh milk etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bassspine
    Free Member

rubbish pets, good sweaters

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

Much better to have a pushmepullyou so you never have to see its arse

cinnamon_girl

You lot aren't being very helpful 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

much better to have a pushmepullyou

Here's a pushyou llama

GrahamA
    Free Member

Maybe try here:

The British Llama & Alpaca Association,
    Secretary:
    Candia Midworth
    Tel. 01372 458350

I guess you would need to know how much space they need

stonemonkey
    Free Member

What about an alpaca

Hairychested
    Free Member

Lamas are said to spit in your face if you lie. No good if you spend time on the forum 😉

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Herd animal so keeping just one will stress it.

gusamc
    Free Member

Handy if you have lambs (farmers are putting them in with sheep, who they quite like, so when mr fox comes the llama expresses it's displeasure in a traditional manner)

Also handy if you were an ex punk, as they also show displeasure by gobbing on you ….

;+)

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

No, not a good pet…

Since unlike having a Donkey, mule, ass, horse or zebra you wouldn't have a legal right to take it for walks on Bridleways, as such it would be difficult to exercise.

There you are, always a useful answer on STW 😀

Bunnyhop

Are you sure it wasn't an alpaca? (sp?).
    Very cute like little llamas.
    Alpakas do make good pets but I think they're a herd animal so you'd need more than one. Also some land and a shelter.

bassspine
    Free Member

Amplification: a friend of mine has three llamas. They are bad tempered, more stupid than sheep and expensive, and get ill a lot, but they produce good wool.

Hope that helps.

Bunnyhop

Stonemonkey – that is so cute.

sc-xc

do you know there's only one way to calm a llama down?

gusamc
    Free Member

would you call it Dali ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmmmm.

+

=

cinnamon_girl

Hmmm, perhaps they were alpaca's. They were so gorgeous and friendly-looking, curious too.

Andy – goats aren't cute!

Hairychested – I never lie on the forum! Wouldn't want a beating from you lot 😯

OK, sounds as though this idea will get put on hold. Another question:

Does anyone have a dog I could be "auntie" to? Has to be a proper dog mind, not some stupid lapdog.

GrahamA
    Free Member

If they were Alpacas this documentary on the BBC may help

cinnamon_girl

Some great links there 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cinnamon_Girl is Linda Snell, and I claim my £5

saladdodger
    Free Member

ok so goats are not cute (I like em and we are toying over getting some for our french pad)

Am I?? 😉

Reluctant
    Free Member

Llamas are ace. I think if you had a large garden/paddock/stable etc they'd be good fun and company. similar requirements to keeping a pony or donkey, i'd guess. Reckon they'd probably poo in the house and too big to snuggle up on the bed at night. Lovely animals, but i'll stick to my pusscat.

cinnamon_girl

Cap'n – who is Linda Snell please?

saladdodger – those Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs are very appealing!

Reluctant – yeah, you're probably right but you're dead wrong abouts cats. They should be exterminated, they serve no purpose.

tankslapper
    Free Member

CG

IMHO you're better off with an alpaca – v similar to Llama but not as ill tempered. That's my experience anyway…

saladdodger
    Free Member

😆 nice reply no further comment

Surfr
    Free Member

If you've got a decent sized paddock and are willing to get more than 1 (I believe they rely on companionship a lot). Do you keep sheep already? If so they are often used to guard flocks of sheep. If you end up with a male+female pair they will be shagging 10s of times a day and quite frankly it's hilarious. As for house training, I can only presume that you are joking that an animal wider and taller than most door frame would work well inside a house!

s8tannorm
    Free Member

We've got llamas. They're not nasty (unless you get a rogue male), don't spit at you (you'd really have to upset one) and are very funny. They do need the company of other llamas, they will live with sheep but it's not a substitute. It's been known for 'intact' males to kill sheep by crushing them … they tried to mate with the sheep.

They don't eat much, about the same as a sheep weight for weight. Grass is enough in spring/summer but they will possibly need hay throughout winter, carrots and goat food also goes down well.

You'll have to trim their nails a few times a year, otherwise they're pretty hardy. We lost 3 old boys at the start of the year which was partly caused by the severe cold. You should be alright with 2 llamas to an acre, that should keep them in grass for the year.

Hope that helps … and they will shit in your house 😆

Stuart

singlespeedstu

Zulu-Eleven – Member

No, not a good pet…

Since unlike having a Donkey, mule, ass, horse or zebra you wouldn't have a legal right to take it for walks on Bridleways, as such it would be difficult to exercise.

We came across these two in the black mountains a while ago.

Maybe I should have called the fuzz…..

Pigface
    Free Member

Linda Snell erstwhile recepionist at Grey Gables.

llama

you know it makes sense

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

llama – Member

you know it makes sense

No she doesn't – that's why she's asking …………….well ? do you need much exercise ?
    and is it all worth it just cause you look a bit cute ?

Sue_W
    Free Member

"dog auntie" – that sounds like a fab idea! it would be great if we knew someone who'd like to be our dog's buddy as she can't go to kennels (she was a rescue dog and has a lasting trauma about being in a cage), but that then makes it very difficult for us to ever have a break from dog care. I'm sure we're not the only ones! Maybe we should set up a STW 'dog auntie or uncle exchange'! I'll start:

'Auntie or uncle! wanted for medium sized short haired lurcher. Loves romps on the moors and equally happy to lounge beside the fire. Likes other boy dogs (but not girls), loves all adults, but not children. Lives in the mountains in Snowdonia if anyone wanted a weekend or week as a residential auntie'

actually … that now seems like a 'dog personal ad' which would be disturbing in the extreme 🙂

trailmonkey

i heard a farmer talking about this yesterday. his cost 14k he reckoned 😯 personally, i'd rather spend a few quid on a cat and trouser the change.

any spanish speakers out there know if the name of these beasts is derived from the spanish verb to call ? or is it an inca name ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

According the dictionary it's Quechua trailmonkey. I guess the spelling is just a coincident for similar sounding words.

trailmonkey

ta 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

No not a good pet. If you have a field get four or five, but one on it's own? They are herd animals and do not thrive on their own. It will probably die young and unhappy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Would a llama make a good pet?’ is closed to new replies.