Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 241 total)
  • Worst town in Britain
  • keavo
    Free Member

you calling middlesbrough a craphole. good job you ~#~#ed off down south y' fanny;-)

Kramer
    Free Member

Kramer,I've lived in some fairly rough parts of Scotland, I stand by my comments

I've lived in some fairly crap places in England, and a shitty part of Nottingham for ten years through choice. However after my car got broken into, all our neighbours got burgled, my flatmate's car got broken into and burnt out, the attraction of living somewhere 'urban and edgy' faded somewhat, and I moved to somewhere boring and middle class.

mt
    Free Member

Skelmanthorpe, even the locals call it Shat. Did have a pit.
    Has a travel agents called Shat Travel.

uplink
    Free Member

I've only been assaulted twice in 32 years, and that was just one punch and one thrown stone

I don't think he meant in the classroom Mike

anyway – 50 years for me without being assaulted, unless you count the teachers 🙂
    [it were 'ard in the 70s]

😀

FoxyChick
    Free Member

1. Blackpool
    2. Barrow
    3. Millom
    4. Cleator Moor

miketually
    Free Member

I don't think he meant in the classroom Mike

First was a single punch after I and a couple of friends decided to go for a walk at 2am, aged 12 or 13. Second was a thrown stone that hit me in the head and needed half a dozen stitches, aged 15.

it were 'ard in the 70s

Apparently, I shit myself a lot on the late 70s 😉

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Swindon
    Slough
    Reading
    Bedford
    Milton Keynes
    Luton
    Bournemouth
    Peterborough
    Gloucester
    Huddersfield
    Falkirk
    Cumbernauld

Mmm there are a lot more crap towns than good towns aren't there.

westkipper
    Free Member

Kramer, using the words 'urban and edgy' kind of shows the way you view these towns. If youve grown up somewhere and dont have the financial means to escape you learn to make the best of it.( where I grew up a 'soft play area' was the bit of the park that had used condoms instead of used needles!)
    What I was trying to get across( badly) was that most of the towns mentioned that I know – Grangemouth, Falkirk, Cumbernauld etc are not urban hellholes, but decent, if a bit run down, places where you can have a good life.
    Compare that with having to commute miles across the country, work a 14 hour day to pay the mortgage on a house I only see to sleep in, surrounded by fools doing just the same.I know which one I'd choose.

loddrik
    Free Member

I was living in Guildford for 18 months until September, getting back to liverpool was absolute bliss. I hated nearly every minute of it. Ok it is supposedly one of the best places in the uk to live with no crime etc etc but my god you are unlikly to encouter a more stuck up soulless bunch of people anywhere.

And for the record, I have lived in liverpool for nearly all of my 36 years and I have never been burgled, attacked or my car damaged or stolen.

Funny that…….

carlphillips
    Free Member

And for the record, I have lived in liverpool for nearly all of my 36 years and I have never been burgled, attacked or my car damaged or stolen.

are you a gang leader 😉

eviljoe
    Free Member

5 pages, and still no mention of Tiverton or Cullumpton??

tops5
    Free Member

@foxychick Having been born and bred in Barrow , I would agree it's not the best. But now living in St. Helens. I appreciate that Barrow is at least close to some nice coastal scenery and handy for the lakes.

tops5
    Free Member

Just realised how grim that makes my life sound!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

tops 5…I live in Ulverston…fantastic town! Love it!
    BUT I work in Barrow. Hate it!
    Grew up in Windermere, so I'm sure you can appreciate my lack of appreciation for your home town!! 8)

tops5
    Free Member

Yep worked in Windermere for a while were we known as "Barrovian scum"

voodoo_chile

don't believe the media ..only comment when you have been a patron of that area

tops5
    Free Member

Where d'you work FC?

FoxyChick
    Free Member

A school.

Kramer
    Free Member

west kipper – I agree, most crap towns have some nicer bits. I also agree that if you can't leave you learn to make the most of it, and some people even love them. But as you concede, the problem with most really crap towns is that many people who can leave do so, generally looking for decent work, or a nicer place to live.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

There's a few comments on here that are a bit "Brian Sewell". I saw youths fightin' and fornicatin' in the street……
    I've lived in Stoke all my life,never been mugged,burgled,had my car nicked etc.. .It is proper grim in places,just like everywhere else.

djglover
    Free Member

Brian Sewell is my hero

Gary_C

Used to go out with a girl who lived in Kendal (nice town),& worked in Barrow (Sh1te town).She must have loved her job to do that commute every day!!

tazzymtb

It is proper grim in places,just like everywhere else.

Name 3 bits of stoke (five towns) that aren't f**kin awful?

thefettler
    Free Member

With only 17yrs experience of the UK,there are lots of nice places to live,fair bit of history,nice countryside.
    Just spoiled by to many f-wits!

badnewz
    Free Member

Harlow innit.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Slough and Luton. Grantham is pretty shite too.

Lived in Peterborough and quite liked it actually

Kramer
    Free Member

I grew up near to Bodmin in Cornwall, was convinced how terrible it was, and now realise it wasn't too bad actually.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

anywhere in Cambridgeshire – especially March, Wisbech, and Peterborough

Coyote
    Free Member

Dare I say that after a weekend in the Dales, Mrs. C and myself swung by Lancaster thinking that, as a historical and reportedly thriving town, there would a welcoming centre. FAIL! Apart from a couple of select boutiques I have seldom been in a more run down place.

As for "worst towns", St. Helens and Wigan are pretty up there. Wigan town centre has had a lot of cash spunked on it but still don't quite make "it". Nice ideas badly executed. There's also the southern Wiganers, i.e. Ince, Scholes, Platt Bridge etc. to contend with. All areas to avoid at all costs.

St. Helens is just a bad idea gone wrong. I'd like to say something positive about it but I can't.

It is worth nothing however that a slum never built itself. People turn a perfectly adequate place into a shitehole.

luke
    Free Member

Shitterton isn't a town, but a hamlet attached to bere regis, most locals see it as part of bere regis, apart from those that have paid the over inflated prices to live in sitterton or shatterton as they prefer to call it, but no it's shit erton.

Bournemouth isn't too bad, nor is yeovil compared to bridgwater where even the take aways have upped sticks and moved out, we so so nearly bought a house there, glad we didn't upon further inspection.

SaxonRider

Salford. Beat that.

samuri
    Free Member

I'd take the pleasant, leafy spacious, middle-class commuter ghetto EVERY TIME.

While this is clearly the more sensible option, it would be in reality like living in hell. I'd rather fight off a gang of youths intent on plundering my consumer goods every night than be surrounded by Britains lost middle class. At least you know where you stand with a gang of bored and drunk teenagers in tracksuits. I have absolutely no intention of getting myself into a situation where I'm trapped between two middle management morons who actually aspire to be Alan Sugar.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I'd rather fight off a gang of youths intent on plundering my consumer goods every night than be surrounded by Britains lost middle class

Although you live in Leigh, I don't believe you.

tazzymtb

Frome is dreadful as well

adun1408
    Free Member

liverpool has got to be the biggest sh*****e

Wellingborough, I worked there and it was the most awful place I have ever been. Ever. No redeeming features. Whatsoever!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

All you northerners, Coming from the posh end of Harrogate (cold bath road), all the above and everything else is an utter shithole, even Skipton is grim. 😉

toby1

WTF – where the hell is Cov in this list, it's sgly, concrete and living in Hillfields is as grim as it gets.

That said. I've also lived in Watford, a rapidly expanding borough of London and I've dropped in to Glenncorwyg (sp), Maesteg (ok it was a dump) and Cymmer nothing stands up to Llanbyder though, along with Soton and Liverpool, all places that are ok for a visit 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

I was living in Guildford for 18 months until September, getting back to liverpool was absolute bliss. I hated nearly every minute of it. Ok it is supposedly one of the best places in the uk to live with no crime etc etc but my god you are unlikly to encouter a more stuck up soulless bunch of people anywhere.

Hmmm…I live nearby and can think of far more 'stuck up' places than Guildford. An estate agent managed to put me off buying in nearby East Horsely by describing the locals for me in what he thought was a positive way – 'it's all 4x4s and bridge evenings'.

I've lived/worked in/near a few dumps:
    Crawley,
    Hull,
    Warrington,

also Farnborough, Hants maybe?!

A few mentioned above I think are OKish really:
    Holyhead – a poor area but not that unattractive really
    Chester – a lot of council estate types invade the centre in the evening and cause trouble but otherwise a pleasant enough place
    Sheffield – not that bad at all

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I've worked all over the country, both in towns and cities, for years, but none of the places I've been would come close to Cumnock in Scotland. It has all the signs of small town deprivation:

*adult men wandering aimlessly around town at 11 am rather than working
    *drunks wandering at 11 am in the morning
    *kids skivving school and shouting abuse at random passers by
    *main supermarket in town is Farm Foods
    *a 1960's style 'shopping centre' as the hub of the town
    *a general air of misery and pointlessness, despite being surrounded by beautiful scenery
    *the most offensive (and entertaining) public toilet graffiti I have ever read ANYWHERE

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 241 total)

The topic ‘Worst town in Britain’ is closed to new replies.