• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by RicB.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Worn fork stanchion
  • MikeWW
    Free Member

Have some Fox forks(Fox32 120 RL)
    They are only 4 months old but noticed last night that some of the anodising has worn off the inside of one of the stanchions-about 1″ high for a quarter of the circumference.
    I’ve done a fair bit of riding but is that type of wear to be expceted?
    Do I need to get them refurbished and if so do I need to do it soon?
    What’s the best place to send them to?

Thanks in advance

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Has anything been rubbing there (like disc hosing?)

If not, off to Mojo for warranty work I’d say if they were bought new four months ago. Its not repairable, they’ll put a new stanchion/crown assembly in.

nickc

Be prepared for Mojo to tell you it’s your fault for not looking after your forks though, as believe it or not, these are top drawer racing equipment, and as such should be stripped down, and rebuilt after every outing (or some such other nonsense)

I thought Fox forks had stopped wearing away the anodising? (Something every other fork manufacturer seems to have managed for years now)

MikeWW
    Free Member

No nothing has been rubbing. Brake hose is routed the other side of the fork.

nickegg
    Free Member

You should be within warranty period. It’s worth mentioning that Mojo recommend you store the bike upside down. That allows the oil to run down to the foam rings below the main seals.

I take my lower legs off every 15 hours of riding to wipe out the seals and do an inspection. It’s really easy to do unless you’re really cack handed!

I learnt this the hard way.

UK conditions are probably the worst you could use a fork in so it’s reasonable that forks might require more love.

MikeWW
    Free Member

nickegg
    Thanks for the reply. Are there instructions somewhere about taking the lower legs off?
    Wouldn’t that invalidate any warranty?
    15 hours doesn’t sound very long as a service interval
    Anyway have been in touch with bike shop and they are going to see what they can do. I don’t mind paying for normal wear and tear but 4 months and new stanchions seems a bit excessive

Simon

Look at the “Dust wiper seal quick clean and lube”
    http://www.mojo.co.uk
    Mojo/Fox recommend you do this after every 15 hours of riding.

radoggair
    Free Member

Mojo/Fox recommend you do this every 15 hours

Blimey, once a day, 11 times a week, regardless whether you’ve ridden them or not, thats steep

Simon

Already edited. 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This happened on my 36 Talas’s

I was used to marzocchi open oil bath design, but with fox’s they only have a dash of oil in the lowers and this needs to be replenished regularly.

I think its £180 for new uppers, could try it on warrenty though.

I took mine apart to top up the oil and they are pretty badly worn, Im giving them to a mate to use on his bike and I think we are going to sand down any rough bits ont the stanchions with some fine wet and dry and then put some new seals in and see how they go. Ill let you know how it works out.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

They wont warranty them, thats wear and tear and not looking after them im afraid youre looking at £120 for new uppers iirc.

Ju
    Free Member

Bugger, noticed liquid on one of my fox van forks after the last couple of rides. (They are 7 months old) Checking more closely this is a very light oil, also noticed i have lots of wear on the bottom of one of my stanchions. Nothing rough but deep wear. I will do the seals and foam rings check & clean as suggested here – http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/eng/2008_om_eng.htm I know, I know, I should have done this after every 15 hours so wont even bother seeking a warrenty redemption. If cleaning the seals and foam doesn’t prevent the oil leak I guess i’ll be looking to upgrade to a more resiliant design. ANY IDEAS ON WHICH MAKE REQUIRES LESS MAINTENANCE? any help would be massively appreciated, Thanks

KINGTUT
    Free Member

They wont warranty them, thats wear and tear and not looking after them im afraid youre looking at £120 for new uppers iirc.

It’ll be £275 with labour, service etc, I wouldn’t touch Fox Forks with a shitty stick and considering the premature wear problem has been an issue from day one, I’m surprised people still buy them.

Ju
    Free Member

Fair enough but what would you suggest then?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Have noticed some wear on my 2007 Talas forks yet my 2004 ones are fine.

Haven’t noticed any ill effects to the forks performance. Is it just a visual thing?

RoterStern
    Free Member

I have just had a similar problem with my Rebas (bought after the previous Fox forks had premature wear on the stanchions for the second time). Under the seal there was a deep scratch on the stanchion. The seal was in good condition and the forks were a little over 8 months old. RS replaced the uppers no questions asked. 🙂

RicB

I guess i’ll be looking to upgrade to a more resiliant design. ANY IDEAS ON WHICH MAKE REQUIRES LESS MAINTENANCE

Magura, or any brand other than Fox!

Now RS have caught up with Fox damping (black-box), I can’t think of a single reason to buy Fox. Of course that may change depending on the rrp of the new 2010 revelation!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Worn fork stanchion’ is closed to new replies.