Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • world's first skydive without parachute!
  • ski
    Free Member
    LoCo
    Free Member

The 42-year-old said he felt “elated” after landing on an area containing 18,600 cardboard boxes.

I bet he was a fair margin for missing it at 80 mph 😯 mentalist!

wwaswas

“worlds first succesful skydive without a parachute”

RustySpanner

Not the first!

Nick Alkemade – Link.

Ooos, Ivan Chisov was the first – Link.

Neither were exactly planned though.

cooie

No vid?

warton
    Free Member

vid on telegraph website. nutter

peterfile
    Free Member

Actually, a lad who lives on my mum’s street did one of the first ever skydives without a parachute….

Linky

He used to come riding with us sometimes, good rider actually!

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I wish the media could learn the difference between factual and fictitious headlines.

First skydive without parachute (with would be very daring)? No.

First skydive without DEPLOYING a parachute…a completely different thing.

Cougar

A stuntman is thought to have become the first person to jump out of a helicopter and land safely without deploying a parachute

It’s a completely bobbins lead-in line anyway. I’ve jumped out of a helicopter and landed safely without deploying (or wearing) a parachute. It’s a meaningless statement unless it’s quantified with the height of the helicopter.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Isn’t cheating a bit really to:

A: Have a parachute just in case (no matter how mental)
    B: Land on a load of cardboard boxes?

I thought he’d do a superman and land it properly in his pants.

GOD, can’t anyone do anything right these days?

Cougar

I’m struggling to see any sort of failure situation where a parachute would be of any help, TBH. I expect that the biggest risk is missing the landing zone, and by the time you’ve worked out you’re going to miss it you’d be too low for a chute to be effective.

cynic-al
    Free Member

pedant of the thread…goes to…Cougar!

brooess
    Free Member

Skydiving and BASE/wingsuit are really pushing the boundaries of what man is capable of right now. Wingsuits were only starting to be jumped around 10 years ago and already they have the knowledge and ability to do this. Be interesting to see what they’ve achieved in 10 years time…
    I can’t think of another sport which is so progressive. Or takes quite such balls…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Video here…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IRC_b4g7Sg[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s a meaningless statement unless it’s quantified with the height of the helicopter.

well you can probably work it out from the bit about the parachute.
    It is not great and you can pedant attack it. However I dont believe that anyone would fail to understand what was meant.

Cougar

Well. I’m either ‘failing to understand what was meant’ or the report is disingenuous.

It’s not the highest wingsuit flight. Or the furthest. Or the fastest. It’s not even a particularly unusual descent from a helicopter (Jeb Corliss has jumped from well over twice this height for a start).

Seems the only notable point here is that he’s used crash pads for landing rather that a traditional parachute. Which, whilst certainly a big achievement in and of itself, doesn’t strike me as a big whoop in the grand scheme of things. The story here isn’t “man jumps from helicopter without parachute”, it’s “wingsuit flyer pulls off unconventional landing technique.” Which is pretty bloody cool, but doesn’t sell newspapers or inspire forum posts.

ads-b
    Free Member

Yeah, cougar jumping from a helicopter without using a parachute is totally mundan 8)e. Can’t see what all the fuss is about. Could do it with my eyes closed. 8)

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I actually met the guy who was filming this on Tuesday (he sells high speed cameras).
    He mentioned this is what he was doing on Wednesday!

molgrips
    Free Member

Cougar, I think you are not understanding how the media works!

Anyway

I’m struggling to see any sort of failure situation where a parachute would be of any help,

If a freak gust of wind blew him off course early on in the jump, perhaps?

I’d like to see someone splash down on water with one of those things. Get as much speed as possible and then flare up at the end and surf along on the soles of their feet, swan style. That would be cool.

Junkyard
    Free Member

“man jumps from helicopter without parachute”, it’s “wingsuit flyer pulls off unconventional landing technique.”

Ar eyou just arguing for the sake of it?

Did he jump out of a helicopter without a parachute [ i assume I need to say without deploying a parachute 😉 ] ?

Is this a “unconventional Landing technique?

AlexSimon

What a waste of boxes – he only needed about 50 of them!
    🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

really enjoyed the complete lack of enthusiasm showed by man on scaffold in background.

barely even looked up!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’d like to see someone splash down on water with one of those things.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8361472/base-jumper-stable-after-267m-fall

GrahamS

Imagine how long it took to nick all those boxes from the back of ASDA!

The ground crew should have put a match to them just as he jumped: perfect “You’ve Been Framed” opportunity missed there. 😀

Cougar

I think you are not understanding how the media works!

Oh, I understand exactly how it works, which is kind of my point.

Hm, perhaps. It’d have to be a bloody big gust though, you can do some serious tracking in a wingsuit.

Ar eyou just arguing for the sake of it?

Maybe (-:

I’m not really arguing. I just think that the story isn’t what it appears at first glance. A bloke’s jumped out of a helicopter from a pretty low altitude(*) with a small glider attached to his back. People land gliders all the time, it’s not headline news. If he did it without a wingsuit, that’s a story.

(* – student skydivers make their first static line descents from 3200ft, for comparison)

GrahamS

I think a bigger issue would be a freak gust of wind blowing all his boxes away!

Junkyard
    Free Member

The ground crew should have put a match to them just as he jumped: perfect “You’ve Been Framed” opportunity missed there.

Genius ..just had the entire office look at me for lauging loudly to myself

People land gliders all the time, it’s not headline news. If he did it without a wingsuit, that’s a story.

Ok you have a point

oliverd1981
    Free Member

People land gliders all the time, it’s not headline news. If he did it without a wingsuit, that’s a story.

So instead of boxes he needs some wheels and suspension, in the manner of undercarriage.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Some blurry footage from other angles.
    Shows the rate of descent better!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfFkiPr9Nmw[/video]

footflaps

When he lands you can clearly see the parachute rig on his back….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘world's first skydive without parachute!’ is closed to new replies.