Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • World's end Llangollen route
  • astura
    Free Member

Only seen a YouTube video,, can someone pass on a route,, ideally after as much downhill as possible

plecostomus
    Free Member

It’s all footpath and this time of year it’s a muddy rutty mess so don’t ride it as it destroys it

Bregante

Yep. Done it a few times and can imagine it would be horrid just now anyway. Best to wait til it dries a little.

astura
    Free Member

That’s fine,, but still where is it. I have no plan to do it as I’m a bit of a fair weather rider

shadowfax

you could ride it today – but bring spikes!

astura
    Free Member

ping me on email if you don’t want to share, I only want to know where it is

konagirl
    Free Member

ideally after as much downhill as possible

lol, you have to go up to go down!

I walked the Offa’s Dyke Path bit in the photo above over Christmas, one way from Llandegla to Llangollen. It is beautiful but Esclusham, Eglwyseg Mnts have been very wet and boggy, much more so than usual winters. The bridleway part of Offa’s Dyke through Llandegla Forest and up to road is boardwalked in places, but it is very slippy. Where there is no boardwalk, the path is just a stream. The paths in that area are mostly rolling around the contours of the hills, where they run straight downhill they are usually forestry / logging tracks.

The MapMyRide is all on road. The area described as World’s End is around km 30, OS ref SJ232475 ish. The whole of the panorama route past Castell Dinas Bran and Vale Crusis Abbey is lovely but not very MTB. Note, the crags have an access agreement for climbers outside of the bird breeding season and the Offa’s Dyke Path goes through a number of SSSI, so I would encourage you to stick on the bridleways and roads and enjoy the scenery or look for MTB routes on the south side of Llangollen or from Cyrn-y-Brain around the Horseshoe Pass.

slowjo
    Free Member

My sister in law lives just down the road (one of the last houses in Pen Y Gaer Road) but I haven’t ridden an MTB there for years. I keep thinking about taking a trip on that loop but either ‘days out’ take precedence or I just grab my road bike instead.

Note to self – next time, take mtb and book a day out of family duties!

Some year ago, a guy from on here showed me round a loop that lasted 50 odd miles iirc. We popped out near the canal and then faced the climb from the Australia Arms (as was) up to Pen Y Gaer Road. Suffice to say, we were knackered and only made it as far as the war memorial and took to walking and riding. The rise by the school did me in though, granny gear or no granny gear!

gelert
    Free Member

There are very few official MTB routes hence locals are afraid to share online. Most routes are designated footpaths at the moment with a few bridleways here and there.

Check out Singletrack issue 96 for one official route with map.
    Issue 96

There’s also the Beast of Llangollen on the other side of the valley from the above photo.
    Beast of Llangollen

Rorschach
    Free Member

There’s footpath’s and there’s footpaths.I’m not shy of a bit of poachery at the best of times but the panorama one is a bit of a sacred cow in terms of sensitivity (sssi)/location(very popular with walkerists).It’s not even a great bit of riding…scenic yes .If you were to do it (which you would’nt cause it’s naughty) you’d want do it at a time when you could guarantee not running into anyone else.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘World's end Llangollen route’ is closed to new replies.