Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Work phone tax dilemma
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

Hey peeps,

My job means I spend a 1/3 of the year on call and as such have to have a phone for all of our offices to be diverted to me.

In the past work has paid for our home phone cost and I have paid the relevant tax contirbutions at the end of the year via the P11D.

Work in its wisdom has now changed the way they do this and now I have to pay the bill myself. The bill is then given to work who re-imburses me on my next wage.
    This means though that I am now paying tax & NI contributions on this re-imbursement. Apparantly at the end of the year I can claim business calls on the P11D to offset this but think this will be little more than the outgoing calls.
    So i’m now paying the vat on the bill, more income tax than I had previous, NI contributions on it (WTF) and only getting tax relief on calls made not the line rental.

I don’t use the phone for out personal calls as I use my mobile (freem minutes etc) so the landline is not a benefit to me and I wouldn’t have one if I didn’t need it for work.

How should this be being done, Work has a history of doing things the mickey mouse way.

Oh and Before you get your pitch forks out….
    I am happy to pay tax on it (The correct amount)
    I also use my own mobile 1000x more than the land line which I pay for entirely.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I have a separate line that I use for work. I have my own phone line that I pay for. Work pays for the work line. No tax implications.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’m thinking this might be the easiest thing to do in the future.
    I could get another mobile “Batphone” and just use it for incoming and outgoing workcalls and then get work to pay this direct.

aracer
    Free Member

Yep totally separate line is the way ahead. We had 2 landlines here when mrs aracer had to dial in when she was on support, the work one directly billed to them (note to self – check if the line is still active 5 years after she left, it was when I last checked a few years ago!)

br
    Free Member

Ask for a mobile – zero benefit as mobiles are treated differently to home phones.

If they ask why, say the complications/cost caused by their change.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

br – why are mobiles different?
    I actually just use my mobile anyway. Normally divert to my moby and always return calls on my mobile

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Work phone tax dilemma’ is closed to new replies.