Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Work PC advice
  • WackoAK
    Free Member

Just about to refresh all the office PC’s – should I be looking anywhere else apart from Dell?

geoffj

Just about to refresh all the office PC’s – should I be looking anywhere else apart from Dell?

For desktops no.

br
    Free Member

Depends how many?

WackoAK
    Free Member

Cheers, I’m also going to get new server (will be runing Small Business Server Pro) – I take it you’d suggest trying someone else for that?

geoffj

I take it you’d suggest trying someone else for that?

No, for laptops I’d go for Lenovo though.

Cougar

Servers = HP. Nothing else comes close.

simon_g

Servers = HP. Nothing else comes close.

With the caveat that their low-end stuff is the usual generic server spec but with the HP labels slapped on. It’s possible to buy a ProLiant with a SmartArray controller and an iLO management card which is really just a boggo server with the usual cheapo SATA RAID and someone else’s web management branded as iLO. Keep an eye on what you order if you’re used to the “proper” HP servers.

organic355
    Free Member

someone will be along in a minute to tell you to buy Macs.

Cougar

That’s a point, which hadn’t occured to me until just now; there’s no such thing as an Apple server is there? I wonder why?

br
    Free Member

Why not citrix them, and not have to refresh?

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’ll be buying 10 pc’s, we have a mac (and the JesusPad) in the office which is more than enough 🙂

Server does not need to be anything fancy – domain controller that I’ll be running SQL Server from. Network drives etc will be taken care of by other servers.

Was thinking around £350-£400 per desktop with win7 Pro (no monitors required) and around £4-£5k for the server with SBS Pro & CALS.

Basically doing an upgrade from XP on SBS 2003 network.

geoffj

That’s a point, which hadn’t occured to me until just now; there’s no such thing as an Apple server is there? I wonder why?

Err http://store.apple.com/uk-business/browse/home/shop_mac/family/xserve?afid=p219|GOUK&cid=OAS-UK-KWG-UK_Pro-UK

Cougar

Oh yeah. Cool thing.

simon_g

Mac Mini Servers for low-end/small-business type use. XServes for bigger use. Dedicated server MacOS version to run on them too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Work PC advice’ is closed to new replies.