• This topic has 57 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Wood burning stoves – £££ Question?
  • cannondaleking
    Free Member

iv'e had a villager the bigger version of this one http://www.villager.co.uk/wood_arange.php and swear by at this moment im sat in shorts and tee and its boiling hot 😀 i have my heating set up with it as well as gas central heating (its complicated pipe work) and its really saved some money of the last few years as i get wood for free from work from tree's to spare lumber the only hard part is getting the chainsaw out to cut it all up can take a little while if there's a lot of wood.

id say go for it and clean your own chimaly dont get ripped off by some mug trying to charge you a fortune to clean it its really easy to do.

you wont regret it

woffle
    Free Member

If you do need to clean the glass use oven hob cleaner. Much cheaper than the stuff from stove suppliers.

Hotter tip:

Use soap and water.

Super-hot tip:

Use vinegar and newspaper…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Use vinegar and newspaper…

use the ash from the pan and a damp cloth

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hotter tip.

When the glass is still hot, lick it clean.

Drac

use the ash from the pan and a damp cloth

I tried that just made a god almighty mess.

organic355
    Free Member

Have started looking into this for fitting later this year, and a couple of names seem to keep comeing up in reviews, Clearview and Morso, anyone have any experience of these two? What do people recommend?

We have a morso 6140 and love it, this one, but built into a fire place.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Take care about what your neighbours attitudes are. These days of fossil fueled gas boilers, remember the official line line that it's better to pollute with global warming Co2 emissions, than anythig which people might complain about. The law is firmly on the side of the gas-boiler. Many people are not used to the smell of any woodsmoke in the air. – You will always get some returning to ground in the vicinity. There is no such thing as a zero-odour woodstove or pellet boiler.

Your taxes have been funding Environmental Health visits numerous times to my house because the neighnours have been complaining. Zero "findings" by the official Environmenmtal Health nose test so far, but they are obliged to keep on visiting as long as they receive complaints.

A court (I'm told) can technically stop you using your 100% legal biomass boiler or woodstove. Don't believe it if your council say they are comitted to encouraging carbon neutral heating systems, it's hogwash because there is no joined-up thinking. If it came to a crunch, it's the complainant's word against yours and a single judge, no scientific evidence being necessary.

Oh, to answer your question. Yes they are lovely, very efficient and easy to run. Buy a good quality clean burning stove and you'll scarcely ever need to clean glass or sweep the flue (in my observation), and buy a small one.

Drac

Still lots of open fires used near me, which bloody stink so a wood burner which produces hardly anything at all causes no problems. Not sure where you heard the story of the court of the court stopping you from using one if it's in an area that open fires and the such are allowed the it's legal surely.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

The Environmental health Officer gave me that line. – Just because it's legal doesn't stop a court from banning it's use.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There's lots of us with Morso.

We have this one…

ski
    Free Member

mountaincarrot – Member

Take care about what your neighbours attitudes are. These days of fossil fueled gas boilers, remember the official line line that it's better to pollute with global warming Co2 emissions, than anythig which people might complain about. The law is firmly on the side of the gas-boiler. Many people are not used to the smell of any woodsmoke in the air. – You will always get some returning to ground in the vicinity. There is no such thing as a zero-odour woodstove or pellet boiler.

Your taxes have been funding Environmental Health visits numerous times to my house because the neighnours have been complaining. Zero "findings" by the official Environmenmtal Health nose test so far, but they are obliged to keep on visiting as long as they receive complaints.

A court (I'm told) can technically stop you using your 100% legal biomass boiler or woodstove. Don't believe it if your council say they are comitted to encouraging carbon neutral heating systems, it's hogwash because there is no joined-up thinking. If it came to a crunch, it's the complainant's word against yours and a single judge, no scientific evidence being necessary.

Oh, to answer your question. Yes they are lovely, very efficient and easy to run. Buy a good quality clean burning stove and you'll scarcely ever need to clean glass or sweep the flue (in my observation), and buy a small one.

Interesting mountaincarrot, I spoke to my local council/Environmental Health, we live in a smoke free zone and they basically said as long as the supplier said its suitable for a smoke free zone, that's fine with them, they did not seem to want to be drawn on which suppliers are fine with me to deal with though, all seemed very vague?

Out of interest how did the Environmental Health test your burner, or was it literally a nose test?

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Hi Ski.

It's quite literally a nose test. They come round (A 30 mile drive), sniff, go back. I'm told that in a court case it would also be a nose test.

I think they have a bit of a problem. I'm not saying we are completely squeaky-clean, (like I said, there is no such thing as a clean burning biomass system – Carbon neutrality being irellevent to that argument it seems). More stoves will mean more complaints. It's going to become a bit of an issue for councils, and it creates a very embarassing conflict right at the heart of their own sustainability policies.

The law needs to change, or people's attitudes. Better the latter IMO but that's not much help for those caught up.

Drac

This is ours the Morso Badger, sorry poor quality photo.

And no one has coming around sniffing but they'll not smell anything anyway as 3 open fire in the street kill out any faint smell ours produces.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Charnwood Cove 1.
    Note the hole in the ceiling which warms the bedroom above. (The other bedroom being heated by the flue)

ChrisE
    Free Member

Drac,

you know that you're supposed to put the logs inside (not outside) the burner don't you,

C

ahwiles
    Free Member

ooh! – i like your setup carrot.

woffle
    Free Member

pardon the mess 🙂 2 seconds with the vac sorted that, had just emptied the ashpan

Carrot – might be adding a vent from the living room to the upstairs bedroom…

Drac

Bugger ChrisE I'll try that next.

Vent to the bedrooms, I just leave the doors open and the house is toasty.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Wood burning stoves – £££ Question?’ is closed to new replies.