Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Wood burning stoves and central heating
  • scraprider
    Free Member

Is it possible to have both, gas central heating for them cold mornings , and Wood burning stoves and central heating in the evenings,cheers.

paul4stones

What do you mean? Of course it is. Just that your CH won’t turn on if controlled by a thermostat that’s in the same room as the woodburner.
    We have Oil CH which comes on morning and evening but a woodburner which gets put on if we’re in the house for a significant part of the day. Radio controlled valves operated by a wireless thermostat which can be moved about the house as you like.

scraprider
    Free Member

ah right, we have at the mo a large open fire place, i was thinking about getting a woodburner to heat water and run my radiators at nite, i weasnt sure about running central heating from 2 sources, not at the same time obviously.

TheBrick
    Free Member

My parents have had this set up for years. I their old house they had a hot water tank with two heat exchangers. Now they have a thermal store which can take heat from the gas boiler, wood burner or solar thermal, there is also a port for geothermal too but it is unused. It has been working extremely well over all winter I don’t think they have used the gas. Still enough heat in the thermal store to have the rad come one at 06:30 and hot water for a shower as long as you stoke up the fire asap. They do keep the fire going 90% of the time though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Wood burning stoves and central heating’ is closed to new replies.