Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Woburn Sands XC loops?
  • wi11
    Free Member

This week I have a course to attend in Luton, so I was thinking of taking my ride up and venturing into Woburn Sands on Tuesday evening, but can anyone tell me if the routes are well marked? I’d be looking at doing a decent length xc loop, hopefully with plenty of technical ups and downs! Also, can you purchase a day pass at say 6pm onwards?

timmys

Nothing’s marked at all (outside of the bike park area). I’d hope for a local to chirp up and offer to show you round to be honest, though having said that…

I would say it’s going to be a bit of a muddy, trail-knackering slog-fest if the forecast of rain for Mon & Tue is right. Normally wet conditions can be mitigated by concentrating on the bike park stuff but it doesn’t sound as though that’s what floats your boat.

I think I’m right in saying the only method of paying for a day permit is to do it in person to a warden, so be prepared to pay if you see him but I wouldn’t fret over it.

transporter13
    Free Member

You won’t see any rangers there at that time of the day….don’t really know much about the xc stuff but from what I’ve seen of the woods, it’s not that big (maybe 5 miles as a loop?)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grahamt1980

Problem with Woburn is that there are loads of trails its just a massive pain if you don’t know where you are going. Its easy to do a 15 mile loop over there. But almost impossible to describe the route. Am busy Tuesday otherwise would be tempted to show you some of the trails

transporter13
    Free Member

I knew someone would enlighten me 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As Grahamt1980 said loads of trails over there, easily enough XC to entertain for 5-6 hourss without even touching the jump spot. It’s not riding too badly at the minute, it holds up well due to the sand however there are boggier bits. Sorry I can’t meet you there either to show you around. Oh and as already said don’t bother with day pass just buy one if you bump int othe ranger, they are reasonable, but he isn’t going to be around at that time of night.

wi11
    Free Member

Ok! Maybe I’ll just follow my nose, like you say, maybe I’ll meet some folks at the trail head! (After checking the weather!… They give it sunshine here in Torquay!!) I found a club called CycloneMTB that appears to be local there, so I’ll drop them a line as well, maybe they meet Tuesdays anyway?!

br
    Free Member

wi11 – happy to meet and take you for an evening ride around north Chilterns/Ashridge from just down the road of you (meet Marsworth canal car park) – EIP

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m ill and proper rough at the moment, but was heading over to ‘break’ myself back in.
    The only markers are those brown ones, but they just send you to the play area.
    How long have you got Tuesday evening? I generally do a two hour loop from Stockgrove Park in Heath & Reach.
    Sadly Woburn is about as bad as it can get right now.

_tom_
    Free Member

Was there yesterday for a bit, conditions on the bridleway bits are pretty wet, slow and boggy. The DH trails are riding really nicely though, they benefit from a bit of rain to take some of the dust/sand down. If you go then try to sort out some dry lube as if its wet or greasy it’ll attract all the sand – my drivetrain sounds like a mess at the minute!

oldgit
    Free Member

_tom_ Do you mean the play area runs when you refer to DH trails?

oldgit
    Free Member

I do intend to ride there Tuesday, steady for me though.

Stockgrove Park in Heath & reach is a good start point. It has some short man made trails. I normally do those before heading off to Woburn

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Was there today and it was pretty dry compared to Chilterns slogfest.

oldgit
    Free Member

Are you called curtisthecat coz you ride a Curtis i.e the grey one I see over there.

wi11
    Free Member

Thanks for all the kind offers of meeting me around and about the area, but I have found a small route on ‘imbikemag’ which has a gpx file attached! I dont have gps, and my android phone has packed up, but I managed to print a googlemap picture, so that’ll give me a bit of a start!! The loop is only 8 miles, but I’m guessing there will be lots of heading up and down trails looking for my way around, plus one big ride back when I find out I took a wrong turn and the car’s …. miles away!! Better charge the lights too..lol!! Hopefully it’s not too muddy, not sure Premiere Inn have bike wash facilities!!

ampthill

I though the trails were in fab condition today, a few bogy bits but iif it stops raining it will be slower not faster

TheFopster
    Free Member

Had my only big crash at Woburn last spring due to dry conditions! In wet the sand packed down and gripped well – in the dry hitting a big deep patch of soft dry sand and needing to both change direction and slow down rapidly proved a bit much. Make the most of the damp – it suits Woburn pretty well I think!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Woburn Sands XC loops?’ is closed to new replies.