• This topic has 30 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • wisdom teeth
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

so i had a wisdom tooth out exactly 1 week ago today :cry:…had to have it out cos it was gougin away at my inner cheek….. anyway it didnt take the dentist too long to prize it out actualy, and i took pain killers for the pain afterwards …however im still very sore and the pain is still the same one week on… obviously i know the hole will take a while to grow new skin etc…. but shouldnt the pain be gradualy going away by now or is it still early days….still on with the pain killers…worse in the evening ?

smurf
    Free Member

I had all 4 out under a general (all hard to get out and some jaw bone needed to be removed to get one of them out).

I was sore for 7 – 10 days and probably took a couple of weeks to get something close to normal.

I suggest you go back to your dentist pretty quickly if it’s not getting any better though. You don’t want an infection taking hold!

Esme
    Free Member

Poor you! It sounds like you might have an infection in the socket. Phone the surgery in the morning, as they might suggest antibiotics.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I had to post baked beans through the small opening I could manage for about a week after having my four out.

But yeah – go get it looked at.

petehunjan
    Free Member

I’m a dentist for my sins . . .

One wisdom tooth that was fairly easy to remove by the sound of it shouldn’t still be sore. Get the socket washed out and dressed by your dentist and get some abs. Sounds like a dry socket (infection).

Pete

elaineanne
    Free Member

wots abs ? cheers…will get it looked at… 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

antibiotics at a guess

elaineanne
    Free Member

went back he said few words and i marched off with antibiotics….hope they sort me out… 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

How much cash do the fairies pay for those?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

How much cash do the fairies pay for those?

Well I was left a Canon 400D in exchange for my Wisdom Tooth….

I may have just purchased it because I was feeling sorry for myself. I was taking a lot of pain killers at the time so my memory is fuzzy.

glenh
    Free Member

Well I was left a Canon 400D in exchange for my Wisdom Tooth….

I may have just purchased it because I was feeling sorry for myself. I was taking a lot of pain killers at the time so my memory is fuzzy.

You were 25% more stupid too after having it out, of course. 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

i havent seen any faires yet ?????? 🙄 mustn’t ave been a good girlie this year > 😉 :mrgreen:

elaineanne
    Free Member

fairies 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I had mine out under a general.

The next night I was at Wembley Arena to see the Foo Fighters. Great gig, but boy was I bowlaxed afterwards! Beer and painkillers made sure the evening was relatively pain free 😆

petehunjan
    Free Member

Take the antibiotics (abs) and rinse with corsodyl or warm salt water 3 times a day. That should see you right in a few days

elaineanne
    Free Member

okey dokey…

restless
    Free Member

It sounds painful.
    I was meant to have a wisdom tooth out in October but was too scared.
    I have had 3 letters from my dentist asking for me to re-book but i can’t do it 😥

RustyMac

elaine anne the corsodyl mouth was is good stuff, tastes quite strong but really helped me in getting rid of a gum infection. I couldn’t do the salt water – yuck

restless – man up, the worst bit is the injections and they are only a small prick. All going well it does not take a good dentist many minutes to pull a tooth out. There will be no dentist neeling on your chest, just putting something in your mouth like they do when check scale and polish your teeth.
    Stop wasting your dentist time and go in and get it done, treat yourself with a shiny new bike bit when it is done.

elaineanne
    Free Member

so (saturday morning) still in pain afer 3 full days antibiotics and mouth wash..had a puffy cheejawbone this morning when i awaoke…so rang the out of hours number at 9am… three people rang me back with details about me ? why it took 3 seperate people i duno… then it took them a couple of hours to get me appointment with someone…it wud be a dentist and the appointment wud be for tomorrow ????/ thats the earliest… geez i couldnt wait that long so spent most of the day trying to get help and eventualy went to a hospital walk-in clinic and they have startd me on a dose of Metronidazole anitbiotic… i realy do hope this works…… question 1 : why didnt the amoxicilling antibiotic 500mg work for me ???? 2 : metronidazole 200mg will they work….. 3: why were we born with wisdom teeth lol we dont dam well need them ? nowt but trouble causers !!! 😉

BigJohn

I’ve had this problem after an extraction. The infection wasn’t one the first antibiotic could cure but the second sorted it out a treat.

You’ll be better soon.

I know you’re not supposed to, but I always double up the tablets the first day to get them off to a flying start.

Cougar

why were we born with wisdom teeth lol we dont dam well need them

We used to. Improved dental hygiene and diet mean that our teeth last a lot longer than they used to; we’ve just not evolved out their replacements yet.

they have startd me on a dose of Metronidazole

You probably know this already but it’s worth mentioning again. It’s ok to drink in moderation when taking some antibiotics; however, Metronidazole is not one of them. You need to abstain completely whilst you’re on the stuff.

mrmo
    Free Member

It sounds painful.
    I was meant to have a wisdom tooth out in October but was too scared.
    I have had 3 letters from my dentist asking for me to re-book but i can’t do it

I believe it depends on if the top or bottom teeth are coming out, i had a top wisdom tooth out a couple of years ago.

briefly, had an injection, i don’t like needles but not to bad, sit around for 10 mins letting my face go numb. dentist gets pair of pliers, few odd sounds, job done. No pain.

feeling came back during the day, the hole and the gap were a bit odd and i had to be aware when eating for a week or so, but no pain, no issues. If it needs to come out get it done sooner rather than later. If the tooth starts to breakup it will be harder to get out and you may end up in hospital for them to do it.

restless
    Free Member

That’s what scares me!
    I had a side tooth out once and it broke and the dentist spent 45mins drilling it out, bit by bit. I had stiches and was in agony for ages afterwards. The corner of my mouth was split that I couldn’t open it properly without re-splitting it for about a month.

The thought of going through it again terrifies me.

restless – man up, the worst bit is the injections and they are only a small prick. All going well it does not take a good dentist many minutes to pull a tooth out. There will be no dentist neeling on your chest, just putting something in your mouth like they do when check scale and polish your teeth.

This is not true, as my previous experience shows! And being a girl, I can’t man up, sorry 😀

ebygomm
    Free Member

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out at the same time under local anaesthetic at the hospital. Very straightforward, eating normally the next day.

Consequences of not getting wisdom teeth out can be far worse than the procedure.

mrmo
    Free Member

restless, how long did you leave the tooth before, the longer you leave it the more chance there is of the procedure becoming complicated. Can you get a referral and ask for a general? i know my SO was offered one.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Local plus sedation is an option too. I know my friend had hers done like that.

They initially wanted to give me a GA but I wasn’t keen so got referred to another hospital/consultant who was happy to remove them under local. I think they’re gentler with you if you’re still awake 🙂

restless
    Free Member

The other tooth had a root canal filling and it weakened the tooth, so that it died and had to come out, and thats why it split up, so i believe.

Now this wisdom tooth doesn’t cause me any problems and it was an x ray that showed it had a hole inside and should come out.
    To me, that means it will be weak and split up like the other one did.

I wouldn’t dare have a general anaesthetic either, never had one in my life.

I am basically a chicken and will bury my head in the sand until it causes me grief and has to come out. Obviously by then, it will be a lot worse and more difficult to deal with.

You wouldn’t think i had 3 babies with no pain releif, last one being 10lb 10oz! Some things i can handle , some things i can’t.

But teeth and dentists, they freak me out. 🙁

elaineanne
    Free Member

Couger : yes ive had strict instructions that under no circumstances must i drink ALCOHOL…. that message was almost drilled into my head !!! lol
    its a bugger when ya hubby sits there downing his beer…so annoying … thats 2 weeks then with no wine…how will i cope 😉 i luv my mulled wine…i had lots at xmas :wink:…. metronidazole tablets is seven days of tablets…..im sure i will cope..just hope it gets easier with the pain….
    an uncle of mine had a dentist problem last year and is still fighting an infection months and months later with 3 or 4 hospital operations…..geepers… 😕

petehunjan
    Free Member

Elaine Anne, metronidazole is usually the better ab for “dry socket” infections. I didn’t relise you were given amoxicillin originally. Ideally you should also get the socket washed out and dressed which will also help.

elaineanne
    Free Member

the socket has quickley grown new skin i dont think they could wash it out now lol….. this is wot really annoys me is the fact that when ever you get an infection of somesort ..the doctors/dentists always start you on a lower antibiotic and then in alot of cases you almost always have to go back 1-2 weeks later cos you aint got better… (it ruddy cost you twice as much ( yet another prescription AND PAINKILLERS)…and petrol money to get advice somewhere else !!! ruddy always the same ole procedure to go down… 🙄

JoeG
    Free Member

Years ago, I had my wisdom teeth taken out during Christmas break while in college. 2 were impacted, and they removed all 4 under general anesthesia. My face swelled up terribly, and my jaw muscles hurt as they could not relax due to the swelling. I was 100% miserable and as grumpy as I had ever been.

The stitches in my mouth were driving me absolutely crazy, so I took them out myself over the bathroom using needle nosed pliers less than 24 hours after the surgery. Needless to say, my mother did not understand my need to remove the offending string from my mouth, and frantically called the dental surgeon. He basically told her that her son was an idiot, but that if I wasn’t bleeding then I should be fine. The swelling took a week or more to go away completely, and I had bruises down the front of my neck for about 2 weeks.

This was the only bad dental experience that I have been through, I’ve only had 2 cavities (drilled & filled without anesthetic) in my 43 years. I’m really grateful that wisdom teeth are a one time thing, though!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘wisdom teeth’ is closed to new replies.