Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wireless USB Adaptor?
  • Eddie_fb
    Free Member

I have just bought a Belkin G wireless adaptor, to connect a desktop computer to my thomson gateway wireless modem. I have run the setup program, it all seems installed ok, but it just reports there is limited or no connectivity? Weirdly though, I have updated AVG and downloaded google chrome, so I can obviously connect to the internet? Basically it keeps dropping connection, but I've checked all the WEP settings etc, checked the 64bit passphrase (just a 5 digit word).

Anything I've obviously missed, or are these things just s***e? I can't believe they can sell things that don't work form the beginning?

Cheers for any help!

phiiiiil

Wireless network stuff is crap, basically. We have three computers at home – a new mac, an old mac and a Windows laptop – and we had to try four routers before we could get all of them working, and that's with no encryption on it as WEP or WPA wouldn't work at all either. Nobody can decide on what a WEP password is even supposed to look like, so there's no chance of getting everything else right.

It seems you're alright if all your wireless hardware is from the same company, but it's just pot luck otherwise. See if there are any new drivers for whatever doesn't work, it might just help.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Is something else using the internet at the same time?

bigyinn
    Free Member

For starters WEP doesnt work properly with MACs.
    Go to WPA-PSK and you should be fine.
    Im assuming you both have good signal strength?
    To say wireless networking kit is cr@p because you had a bad experience its like saying cars are rubbish as you had one that broke down once!

Eddie_fb
    Free Member

Hmmm, well it's a small office, we have the main Pc linked to the router via ethernet, so we have no real problems with that. I have my Iphone connected via wifi, using the same WEP 5 digit passphrase, and that works faultlessly?
    We have also had laptops, using their own inbuilt wifi, and they work fine.
    Secretary brought in her own older Pc, and we bought a Belkin G wireless USB stick to easily get her connected to tinterweb? Both machines use XP, the router is a freebie for plusnet, but as other things connect to it, I presume it's the adaptor that's rubbish.
    I think we'll return it to Ebuyer and buy 10m of CAT5 cable. Surely that must work?

tomzo
    Free Member

Oh jesus, those belkin things are the worst things ever. we had one…terrible…friend has one…terrible…

There just seems to be conflicting issues constantly with the program thats supplied with it and the windows utilty….All the best then!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wireless USB Adaptor?’ is closed to new replies.