Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wired LAN problems
  • avdave2

I’ve a problem connecting via cable to the internet on a couple of Lenovo laptops using broadcom 590x cards. Both laptops will connect on wireless without issues and both work on cable in the office. It’s not a cable problem as I can connect other laptops using the same cable and the TCP/ICP properties are set correctly. Both machines are running Vista. In network and sharing centre I get the info that I am connected but local access only. This problem has arisen several times when trying to connect via cable in hotels and affects both machines but my netbook will work fine so the problem is definitely with the laptops.

Any ideas as to what I may be doing wrong?
    Thanks

tinribz
    Free Member

I know with W7 the default ‘Workgroup’ network causes the same sort of problems. Try the setting up a network wizard again but avoid choosing the ‘home network’ option.

freddyg
    Free Member

Are they connected to their power source at the same time? A laptop of mine used to shut down the ethernet port if disconnected as part of the power management settings.

dh
    Free Member

Maybe try to update the network drivers, you should be able to download them off lenovo.

avdave2

Both connected to the mains and both set not to allow windows to power down the adaptor. I’ve checked for updates but that was about a month ago so I’ll have another look at that and I’ve selected the network as public but I’ll try changing that to office.

Edit
    just checked on the Lenovo website and the drivers are the latest.

dh
    Free Member

I assume TCP/IP is set to DHCP yes?

When it doesnt work – if you go to command prompt and do ipconfig /all what does it say for IP address?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

being a little bit silly, but when you say TCP/IP propertiesa are set correctly that’s for BOTH adaptors, wired and wireless (remember it’s the card that’s the IP device not the computer).

avdave2

Thanks for the ideas, all now working. I went into networking and sharing and ran the diagnose option and from there reset the network adapter. As it has always worked in the office I’m guessing it still thought it was in that location? I’ll try it again when I’m back and see if it still works there or messes it up next time I’m away.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wired LAN problems’ is closed to new replies.