Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Winter riding shoes/boots
  • stayhigh

Every year around this time I um and arr over sticking with normal riding shoes & sealskinz or getting some proper winter riding shoes or boots i.e mw80’s

Whats the general consensus on whats hot or not?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

With sealskinz and waterproof boots you have to make sure they are sealed at the top, otherwise you will ride round with bags of water on your feet.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I just use sealskinz and overshoes.

thomthumb
    Free Member

winter boots is without a doubt the best £60 i ever spent on biking stuff.

I’ve used northwave and specialized. both good. prefer the specialized.

FieldMarshall

After years of soggy feet with sealsinz, overshoes etc, took the plunge and went for some MW80s last winter. Best bit of clothing I have bought in years. Wear them with woolie bollie merino socks. Superb.

Socks sometimes get a little bit damp from water running in the top but nothing significant. and being merino your feet are still warm.

I dont find them too hot.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Winter boots are ace – warm dry feet. Definitly better than summer shoes and Sealskinz, or overshoes. Ony downside for me is the extra weight, when I first switch over in autumn they do feel like lead boots. But then when you put your summer shoes on again in spring you feel great.

rootes1

cycle surgery have loads of lake LX140 boots on sale

z1ppy

I’ve used and worn out SealSkin socks (bit rubbish), NorthWave Celcius boots (cold), Shimano MT90L’s boots and am currently using some MW80’s, wish I’d got the MW80’s initially.
    I thoughly recommend MW80’s, especially if you can’t afford MZ302’s which are probably the ultimate winter boot.
    Though the MT90’s are a great boot too, just obviously not as well sealed around the ankle.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Shimano MT90s for the last 5 or 6 years. As above, warm, dry feet.
    When they eventually break/wear out, I won’t be going back to Sealskinz, summer shoes and overshoes.

kiwijohn

I’ve been wearing MT90s for the last 5 winters & they’ve still got more in them.

ona29er
    Free Member

I use shimano MT41 (mesh sides)+ sealskinz, not had any problems. Out is all weathers – deep snow, rain, low temps. work for me.

scottalej
    Free Member

MW80’s get rave reviews and last well. Some good deals at the moment as they’re being replaced by the virtually identical MW81. I picked a pair up for £100.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have Spesh Defroster winter boots and various sealskinz socks. I never use the sealskinz anymore (they fill with water and aren’t particularly warm when they do) and only use the winter boots for short rides (grab and go appeal) or when I know I’ll be pushing a lot. For a ‘normal’ winter ride quality merino socks (like woolie boolies), my normal MTB shoes and neoprene overshoes is my preferred choice. Yes your feet will get wet slightly faster but they’ll stay warm when wet which is the critical thing. Not sure if there is a genuinely waterproof pair of winter boots out there, the big holes you put your feet in hinder that. I guess with gaffer tape, tight gaiters or waterproof over-trousers going over the tops of them might work but none of those appeal to me.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

the discounted Lakes are here

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/index.php?cPath=576

not at Cycle Surgery as mentioned ^^^^^^

cycle surgery have loads of lake LX140 boots on sale

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Cycle surgery do have some lakes that look a bit like that, neoprene in a shell type thing, and they are discounted much more than that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

lake LX140

You mean the MX but +1 just superb booots 4 year old and look as good as new. i think they will last for ever – not cheap but worth it IMHO

senorj

winter boots plus woolie boolies here.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Winter boots are ace – warm dry feet.

What winter boots do you use that keep your feet dry? I use mw80 and the water comes in from the top, as in running down my legs into the boots. Unless you wear over trousers then how do your feet stay dry?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Cycle surgery do have some lakes that look a bit like that, neoprene in a shell type thing, and they are discounted much more than that.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/mtb-shoes/clothing/fcp-category/list?resetFilters=true

can’t see any Lakes here??? are there 2 Cycle Surgeries???

can you post a link as I am after some winter boots thanks 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

seen them in the shops, but can’t see them online 🙁

Saw them in Chertsey (Snow and Rock) and also the one near Liverpool Street (the one with Runners Need)

Might have a wander over there on Wednesday.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

ok ta no where near a Cycle Surgery 🙁 on in Snow and Rock Filton is my closest and not over the bridge for a while

Pieface

Are the MW80s actually much use as the neoprene cuff isn’t waterproof is it?

Gary_M
    Free Member

They keep my feet warm, dry enough in light rain, but my feet get wet in heavy rain. They do still stay warm though.

Pieface

Would Spesh defrosters be better, as their main aim is warmth ratehr than waterproof, and the waterproof of the Shimano’s seems a bit pointless if there’s alot of water (and therefore spray)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Don’t think the defroster gets very good reviews.

Junkyard
    Free Member

for neoprene cuffs you need waterproofs that cover this stealth IMHO or rain will run done your leg and into the boot via the cuff. the weal point in any boot IMHO
    You could perhaps use gaitors or a cut up marigold but that would look silly

z1ppy

You could perhaps use gaitors or a cut up marigold but that would look silly

You are talking to grown up man (& women) who ride in the wet close to sub zero temperatures (& below), covered in mud & all sort of nasty stuff…. I really don’t think what you look like matters in the slightest to anyone else, as they all think were just mad.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I just looked in the CycleSurgery nr Liverpool Street (the one with a Runners Need in) – they have the LX140s at £54 – there was a 43 on display.

I also saw them at this price in the Chertsey CycleSurgery some months ago.

They seem a bit narrow for me, and they also seemed a little heavier than the MW80s, and the sole wasn’t as stiff.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Would Spesh defrosters be better, as their main aim is warmth ratehr than waterproof, and the waterproof of the Shimano’s seems a bit pointless if there’s alot of water (and therefore spray)

Don’t think the defroster gets very good reviews.

If you like Specilized shoe fit you’ll like these. They’re about as waterproof as Shimano – ie they’ve a big hole in the top. The main part of them is as waterproof as anything else. Gore Tex seems a bit of a waste of time on cycling boots frankly.

They’re not warm – no real insulation at all as far as I can tell. Don’t keep my feet as warm as the old Shimanos. Check the front page – new defrosters (but won’t be in the UK for this winter) that address this.

doh
    Free Member

[list]my specialized defroster boots, very waterproof boots although the almost solid hard rubber tread and solid plastic sole are lethal on wet rock+roots if not carefull and no insulation not so good for winter.5/10. 5 for lightness and general waterproofness. never had a pair of shoes that caused more concern under foot. a set of wheelies would prob be better in any condition.
    keep my feet dry though 😕

dirtyrider
    Free Member

whats the best non boot type? or are the cuffs removable?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Shimano mw80’s end of thread. your feet will not be cold again.

doh
    Free Member

forgot to add the hard rubber grips are even worse in winter + no insulation. the spec defroster prob has the cali sense of cold in mind.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Shimano mw80’s end of thread. your feet will not be cold again.

+1

belugabob
    Free Member

Whatever you decide to do, do it quickly, as winter boots tend to get sold out about this time of year and don’t come back into stock until spring – go figure!

hughjengin
    Free Member

absolutely love my Northwave Celsius boots

h4muf
    Free Member

absolutely love my Northwave Celsius boots

Me too! best £110 i spent last year! Incredibly stiff sole,hidden lacing system and very light too!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Winter riding shoes/boots’ is closed to new replies.