Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Winter jacket, roadie, walking/outdoors jacket ok?
  • lee170
    Free Member

I’m after a winter jacket for road cycling duties, something wind and waterproof(I know nothing is 100%) something to keep a quick shower out. Now I’ve been looking at roadie specific jackets but there stupidly high priced, I normally wear either a north face or berghaus jacket whilst on the mtb, depending on temp as to which jacket I choose.
    I would like a light ish jacket so nothing to heavy/thick/warm, not to bothered about a slightly loose fitting, i could wear one of the other two I wear for mtb, but I fancy something new and a bit thinner.
    Anybody have or have had a decent light jacket that’s breathable windproof etc that didn’t cost the earth!?
    Something up to about £75 would be good

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

I have the Galibier Mistral Foul weather jacket. Bought it a few months ago and wore it couple of times so far. Recently reviewed on road.cc. Slightly under your budget.

road.cc review

richardthird

Yes. 15c to about 5c, Altura Transformer, £36, 5c & under my trusty Aldi winter jacket. £17 iirc. Base layer under.

These are softshells, so a £20 Decathlon ultra light rain jacket in the pocket in case of an unexpected downpour.

They’ll need to fit properly to work and not flap about.

chakaping
    Free Member

I can’t offer a specific recommendation, but I’d say go tight-fitting if it’s roadie specific for you.

Marginal gains, my son.

D0NK

Similar to richardthird I use windproof stuff and have a pac a mac shell for stupid levels of rain. Mostly the windproof will keep you warm enough and only really heavy rain will chill you, use the shell then. With every “waterproof” I’ve tried most of the time I’ve ended up wetter from the inside (I haven’t splashed out on silly expensive stuff tho, it may be breathable enough for riding but I doubt it)

ransos
    Free Member

My Rab walking jacket works ok on the bike, but the cut’s not quite right (as you would expect) so it bunches up at the front.

Bez

I managed to get a Gore Xenon 2.0 AS jacket for just under your budget.

molgrips
    Free Member

Now I’ve been looking at roadie specific jackets but there stupidly high priced,

Endura ones are very decent….?

ahsat

Keep an eye out in the black eye sales over the next week for a Gore jacket .

lee170
    Free Member

I have quite a few gore items and find them excellent, I’ll keep a beady eye out for a deal.
    I’m not a big fan of endura as I feel they don’t last and are definitely not waterproof/showerproof imo. I’ve had a endura jackets and waterproof trousers for the mtb in the past, very disappointed

molgrips
    Free Member

are definitely not waterproof/showerproof imo

🙄

philjunior
    Free Member

Keeping the wind off is most important as others have said – if you’re not getting too cold what’s the point in putting a waterproof on, after all?

I’d echo the comments about getting a snug fit too, particularly as rainy tends to equal windy and even the most non-competitive, conformist cyclist in the world starts considering faired recumbents when faced with massive headwinds.

aP
    Free Member

I have an Endura race cape type jacket which I have been pleasantly surprised by. I’ve used it a few times including one day with 5 hours of riding in heavy rain and its actually worked very well.
    For MTB wet weather riding I either use an old New Balance running waterproof or an OMM Kamleika smock/ or jacket.

mattyfez

Check TK MAXX, quite often good lightweight outdoorsy jackets in there.

philjunior
    Free Member

Oh your budget is about double what I last spent on a waterproof for road riding btw, and it got me a reasonably tight fitting breathable waterproof thing that can be rolled up and stuffed in a back pocket.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oh, worth joining SportPursuit if you’re not a member already.

Plenty of discounted roadie stuff on there.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you’re a big lad…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/berghaus-vapour-storm-goretex-jacket-bnwt

120cm circumference below the pits.

lee170
    Free Member

I’m a size medium, I’ve been looking at the vapour storm on sports pursuit. Winder if that would be OK on the bike

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Winter jacket, roadie, walking/outdoors jacket ok?’ is closed to new replies.