Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Winlatter Altura Challenge
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

Im thinking of entering this. Has anyone else ever done it? If so is it any good?

Thanks

anc
    Free Member

Yes its good, busy at the first singletrack section and quite tough as there’s a lot of climbing. But it has mellowed a little over the years, the first was proper tough and had over 100dnf’s.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Did it last year.

Paid £25 to ride (queue) around a trail centre, feed station is a plastic cup of some kind of energy drink. Compared to, say, Dyfi, its truly rubbish.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If you ride a bit faster the queues aren’t as long 😉

Seriously, they’re modifying the first climb for next year to sort out that bottle-neck. It’s one of the best race courses going I reckon, hills are great.

ton

done it 3 times, love it.
    good trail, good fun.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It’s one of the best race courses going

but is still a trail centre that can be ridden any time of the year and usually with fewer people on it…

If you ride a bit faster the queues aren’t as long

Problem was, we arrived a litle late, so had to park miles away down the fore-road, so only arrived at the start line just as the race started, hence had EVERYONE in front of us!
    And with hind-sight, could just have parked in the visitor centre as my missus and son were spectating and waiting there anyway.
    so, another negative – parking is rubbish.

karnali
    Free Member

good event, new start this year, the faster you go up the first climb the less of a bottleneck there is, only realy a problem for forst bit of singletrack, if your going to win it won;t be much of a problem, if not everyone else is in the same queue so won’t make a diff to finishing position

MikeWW
    Free Member

Done it the first couple of years and thought it was great. Didn’t have any queues on the first bit of single track or problems with parking. There again I got there in good time, started near the front and pushed hard up the first bit of fire road.

anc
    Free Member

I know the lads who organise it, there have been queues every year and every year they’re attempted to sort this. Unfortunately its simply impossible in Whinlatter to spread the field enough to stop this happening. So there will be queues this year also.

But keep yourself in the top 20 and its fine, no queues… Easy. :mrgreen:

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My problem is I compare it to the Dyfi Enduro which I’ve ridden prety much every year and simply love. I entered Whinlatter last year thinking it would be similar and a good training ride, only to be dissapointed.

if your going to win it won;t be much of a problem, if not…

…ride there a different day and don’t pay?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

You can’t ride the race course any day of the week as there are a few bits that are run the wrong way btw.

It seems like a lot of your problem was that you turned up late though, parking was fine when I arrived.

I think it could be possible to do a route that gives you a good spread before the first tight section though, if the race started on the other side of the road and from the access point further towards Lorton there’s a good three mile section of relatively flat wide fire road that pops you out where you come off the South Loop trail and cross the road, or you could carry on through and do the South Loop bit first.

anc
    Free Member

if the race started on the other side of the road and from the access point further towards Lorton there’s a good three mile section of relatively flat wide fire road that pops you out where you come off the South Loop trail

But they need that bit to cope with 300+ cars which turn up.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Its ok, I did it last year, organisation is a bit hit and miss, parking is definately an issue, we were miles away, and we werent that late. And just had to park half in a ditch at the side of a fire road, and walk about a mile to sign on (in hindsight we should have jusmped on the bikes and rode to signing on, but there was no indication of how far it was !) and by the time we realised it was touch and go whether we got to the start in time.
    All said and done though the course is good and pretty tough, very hilly. We got fairly luck with the weather condidering the time of year, but as you are riding on a purpose built trail centre for pretty much all of it then ground conditions are less of a big issue. Was a bit indifferent as to whether we will do it this year

traildog
    Free Member

but is still a trail centre that can be ridden any time of the year and usually with fewer people on it…

You can say this about many races – the point is you are riding it in a huge group, bottlenecks just add to the tactics. If it was me, I’d make a long weekend of it as it’s a great place to ride. No worrying about parking then as you can ride to the forest from Keswick. And then 25quid doesn’t seem so bad – you’ll probably spend more on the meal out afterwards.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

. It’s one of the best race courses going I reckon,

it’s not a race, if it was they would call it a race

by not calling it a race they get out of lots of boring stuff for the organisers

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be fair for the entry fee it’s not worth it, most other events offer a decent finishing prize not just a crappy window sticker.

The start really needs sorting out as its woeful

Done it twice, probably never again to be honest

jonba
    Free Member

Did it last year and it was probably my least favourite course/event.

Unless you are near the front you will end up queing for the singletrack (my own fault for being late but if you aren’t fast then be warned).

The start is up a relatively steep forest track. I was at the back as I rolled up as the start was given. It was too short to make it past enough people before the singletrack. Not helped by the fact everyone knows this so sprints off.

Personally, I’d go the week after and enjoy emptier trails.

You don’t get much for your money compared to over events. Little in the way of feed stations and no “free gifts” even though promised on the website.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It might not be called a race, but it is a race. Do you think the ‘winners’ went round it in under 2 and a half hours for a ‘challenge’ or because they wanted to get to the finish first?

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

paulrockliffe – Member

It might not be called a race, but it is a race. Do you think the ‘winners’ went round it in under 2 and a half hours for a ‘challenge’ or because they wanted to get to the finish first?
    Posted 15 minutes ago # Report-Post

No its a race when you have to hand your license over and you are awarded points based on the position you finish. It’s a challenge. People can ride balls out if they want but don’t go kidding yourself that everyone else is.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Winlatter Altura Challenge’ is closed to new replies.