Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Windscreen washing fluid
  • clipper68
    Free Member

Boring I know but whats the best stuff out there for not smearing. Tried a few but all seem pants. I’ve got new bosch wipers on and cut and cleaned the windscreen but hate it when it gets smeary.

Also why don’t cars have some sort of collector which channels rain water through a simple filter and put it in the washer bottle. Clean water with no detergent must be better than no water….

Cougar

why don’t cars have some sort of collector which channels rain water through a simple filter and put it in the washer bottle

Because of winter.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I often thought that OP – could have a separate bottle for screen wash concentrate and have it mixed as the water is collected.

garage-dweller

Could be your screen? Loads of micro scratches will mean its always looking smeary. Had this with a couple of older cars over the years. Never realised how bad it was until they got major cracks and replaced

chrisdw
    Free Member

Tesco own works for me. Recently I have just had plain water in there and its been fine.

What are you cleaning the screen with and how often? You could be making it worse by doing this too often instead of just using some normal glass cleaner.

Also, give Rain-X a try. Brilliant stuff.

maccruiskeen

I’d echo the screen being passed it – have a closer look and see if its pecked with lots of tiny pits. I tend to buy higher milage motors (current one on 300k) and one of the first things I look to do is replace the windscreen. But i’ve hired lower milage ones with terrible screens. Some seem as if theres a surface coating that is deteriorating

Taff
    Free Member

Clean it with vinegar or the Rain-x cleaner. If Rain-x is put on properly you can avoid the smearing. I think the smearing is crap collected in the micro scratches or general crap collected on the blades. New blades and it tends to go. I use Carplan stuff or some extra strength from
    Tesco

nealglover
    Free Member

Tribos Glass treatment will do the job better than anything else.

Cougar

Back in my student days the wisdom was to cut a spud in half and rub it on the screen. Something about the starch displacing water, or something. Might be worth a punt, even just on a ‘tester’ corner.

PJM1974
    Free Member

These days I use ordinary Fairy liquid during the summer months which does an ace job of de-smearing the dead bugs. Screenwash for winter though.

Cougar

It’ll do an ace job of stripping the wax off your paintwork too. I made that mistake once, ended up with a matt car.

chewkw
    Free Member

I am just about to ask the same question as my windscreen has one deep wiper scratch and I am trying to decide what screen wash to get …

Any idea of how to get rid of the wiper scratch or what screen wash to get? Those PoundLand screen wash?

🙁

DrP

Halfords apple concentrate FTW!
    Smells like apple sourz in the car every time you spray!

DrP

spooky_b329

Another vote for Rain X. You can drive without the wipers often if your speed is good and its daylight.

cranberry
    Free Member

Don’t forget to clean your wiper blades if you clean your screen – chances are they will be rather dirty.

Rich_s

Comma xstream from halfrauds ftw.

cp

I just use Halfords concentrate. Works fine on mine.

scruff
    Free Member

Muc-off / sh1tshifter works a treat above freezing.

sv

Clearalex, harder to get now but think eBay had some a while back.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

RainEx is also great for the inside of shower screens 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just use Halfords concentrate. Works fine on mine.

+1, it’s only about £1 more than the diluted stuff in gallon containers. Diluting beyond 50/50 seems a false economy though as it just takes more to clear the screen*.

*mine gets covered in a film of oily gunk daily as it’s parked in a refinery, normal diution’s probably fine for removing bug splatter on on the motorway.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Windscreen washing fluid’ is closed to new replies.