Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Windows 7 trial expires tomorrow :(
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I installed the trail Win 7 Ultimate last year, which expires tomorrow, and requires me to install a fresh, legal copy of Win 7 – which I have – but it's such a ballache reinstalling – does anyone know how to get the trial to morph into a regular installation ?

Drac
    monsta
    Free Member

A quick google suggests you can – but you still have to insert the full win7 version cd and run set-up:

Upgrade from trial to full

Scroll down to the section 'How do I get the upgrade key to activate?' and read through that section. I'd give that a try and see if it works.

Last week tried upgrading from outlook 2007 trial (downloaded) to full version (bought on CD) and it wouldn't accept the valid full version key, so I had to do a fresh re-install of Outlook. Then the PC had a conflict as it hadn't morphed the trial version into the full version (despite setting default clients), so I had to uninstall the trial version. But maybe it's different with a full O/S…

Edit: in response to thread answer above, see also this but I think it relates to the situation where you've bought one flavour of win7 which is different to the trial flavour.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

cheers 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

didn't work 🙁
    though it might have been because I tried to install Win 7 N(on Internet Explorer)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

thanks Drac, I did an upgrade using the trick mentioned, and after some 15 reboots I have my existing installation without the expiration!

It always surprises me when I see people advocating a clean install, as I have at least 100 programs installed, many with complex configurations, and having to reinstall each one would take ages!

Drac

Cool glad it worked. Yeah frustrating doing clean installs sometimes.

Kit
    Free Member

I'm so glad I don't repair PCs for a living anymore…

grumm
    Free Member

It always surprises me when I see people advocating a clean install, as I have at least 100 programs installed, many with complex configurations, and having to reinstall each one would take ages!

I think there's a way you can create an installation disc image which will install complete with all your software etc?

I used to end up reinstalling the OS every few months on Windows – yet another advantage of using Macs now. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think there's a way you can create an installation disc image which will install complete with all your software etc?

isn't that called a "backup" 🙂 ?

I've been told by a fellow rider that the 'upgrade' path I've taken leads to long term problems and you end up having to do a clean install – I shall wait and see. I have one outstanding problem that my Avira firewall doesn't work and won't reinstall – which obviously urgently needs fixing.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I don't think the full expiry is till june anyway.
    Well, I'll see when I turn on my PC tonight :/

Drac

Your pc will shut done every 2 hours.

So you don't enjoy fixing pc anymore because they brought out a new os.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Can't you use the Easy Transfer facility in Windows? I understood it copied data, programs and settings, and then reinstalls on the new system

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Can't you use the Easy Transfer facility in Windows?

hmm, good point – I'd forgotten about that! I'll test it tonight 🙂

[edit]"Can I transfer programs? No. Windows Easy Transfer transfers only program settings, not the programs themselves. To use the programs from your old computer, install them on your new computer, and then transfer files and settings for those programs."

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 trial expires tomorrow :(’ is closed to new replies.