Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Windows 10 Countdown
  • scotroutes

Only 3 weeks left of the free upgrade offer, so I’m thinking it’s time to move on up (from W7). Anyone else hung on to see/hear the horror stories?

Anyone had any horror stories??

richpips
    Free Member

Had a new laptop a few months here with it.

Move on, nothing to see here.

falkirk-mark

Downloaded it the other night it seems to be working okay.

sweepy
    Free Member

put it on a netbook to see what it was like, it seems to have made the touchpad super sensitive, and I cant find a way to change it/

Caher

Had it done last year, works fine no glitches now.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Happy with windows 7, not going to do it. This PC came with free upgrade from vista and that wasn’t straightforward (had to update some other driver software IIRC and that was back when stuff was supported). I’ve No back up or restore points that I’m aware of, I like my big screen, still pretty fast, just no reason to take a gamble. Hopefully good for a few more years in present format

nuke

Had an old laptop with Vista, bought a copy of Win 7 off Amazon for £30 iirc then did the free upgrade to Win 10…works a treat and gave the old laptop a bit of a new lease of life

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Done 4 upgrades, all fine no issues. Bit faster than 7, smoother and stable and no real hassles. Can’t think of anything worse about it.

timba
    Free Member

Upgraded two in our house. One was fine, the other was very slow and lagged several seconds behind any inputs
    Downloaded win10 onto DVD and did a full format and install; it’s now working as you’d expect and imho much easier to use than 8.1
    A few hoops to jump through to get the DVD to boot and install, but that was an over-protective laptop rather than any fault of MS
    Added this later

dufusdip
    Free Member

Took the initial version and had some issues with the start menu not working and neither did the the Cortana search box, which made opening up applications a little tricky.

Also some browser issues.

Lots of gnashing of teeth for a while – a powershell script that I found (had no real idea what it was doing, just followed instructions) seemed to work, but then was undone by a further windows 10 update that was rolled out. At this point the script didn’t seem to run and it was beyond the 30 day period that you could roll back so all the files had been deleted.

With a bit more time, MS seemed to fix some of the bugs and more solutions were available online as a experience grew.

Seems OK now, not significantly faster boot up times but I am running it on an old laptop, which is the constraining factor. I’m probably putting this in the early adopter glitch rather than fundamental issue…

leffeboy

Done loads with no issues. I have one friend whose laptop was toasted by the upgrade and we had to get it back to 7 with some difficulty. I have no idea what he did or how it happened but I’m staying well clear as then I become responsible for it and that way lies madness

Any I’ve done have all gone smoothly and been a big improvement. If you have some very old hardware such as printers they might no longer work. That’s the only issue I’ve seen

Andy_B

I got caught by the automatic overnight upgrade and I was really annoyed about it. In reality it’s been great and I wish I’d done it much sooner. 2010 Dell laptop, 7 to 10.

househusband

Do it. I was unsure but more than happy with the upgrade I did several months ago.

ffej
    Free Member

Had a laptop that wouldn’t upgrade as some hidden partition wasn’t big enough. Was a nightmare getting it sorted but now it’s done it fine. Have delayed upgrading the desktop but will probably go for it as the Win7 install on it is fairly old.

Be warned that some software won’t work on Win 10. (Older versions of AutoCAD for example) – think that one is down to .net version issues.

J

Del

use propriety software at work to control equipment. i’ve done a variety of installs.
    we have two cameras from the same manufacturer. one works, one doesn’t – some driver issue. i’m inclined to believe that’s a problem with the camera manufacturer’s coding. i’ve been less than impressed with their stuff over the years, just damn flaky. when your own guys start talking about writing their own drivers you know something’s up!
    one aspect of our install on a 64bit version asked to install a .net package but that didn’t cause any issue.
    that’s just windows though really. our software monkey will figure it out.
    generally, i like it, and would recommend. i like 7 but i don’t want to be stuck behind.

P20

Oops. Still need to download this

lamp
    Free Member

I’ve upgraded mos of my customers with practically zero complaints. My company and all my upgradeable stuff at home has been done. No problems whatsoever. Its smooth and a little bit quicker than Win7.

kimbers

Not really a horror story, but

Turns out that Sony don’t have any updated drivers for w10 so the HDMI out on my Vaio laptop is now useless 🙁

13thfloormonk

Yikes! I actually use the HDMI out on my Vaio…

Given that I barely scrape the surface of my laptop’s capabilities, have no issues with speed or functionality, and generally fear change for changes sake, is there any reason I should upgrade? I don’t see any positives that outweigh the potential hassles…

Cougar

Longevity? Support (and therefore, updates) will end on Windows 7 long before Windows 10. Depends how long you’re planning on keeping your computer I suppose.

13thfloormonk

Soooo… If I stick with Windows 7 I’ll stop getting those infuriating 32710 updates every few days that make precisely f-all difference to my computer?

Sounds like a win-win so far 😀

ell_tell
    Free Member

Turns out that Sony don’t have any updated drivers for w10 so the HDMI out on my Vaio laptop is now useless

Ditto. We use an external monitor with our HP laptop at home, and the windows 10 meant our drivers were out of date. Spent ages trying to find the correct update but to no avail so reverted back to 7

mikewsmith
    Free Member

updates every few days that make precisely f-all difference to my computer?

Updates in 10 are much better, they don’t all require restarts either. What those updates do is fix issues, also security holes which are discovered and exploited etc. so those updates are kind of good.

holst
    Free Member

some software won’t work on Win 10

You probably already know this, but you can try running it in compatibility mode. Results seem to vary. I have some specialized software at work that dates back to XP. It will run in compatibility mode, but loses some functionality. Too expensive to replace or upgrade so I just run XP in a virtual box just for that.

I also have a scanner/printer at home that worked with the first version of Win10 but stopped working with the update. The printer still works but the scanner doesn’t. Very old scanner so not a big deal.

Cougar

Soooo… If I stick with Windows 7 I’ll stop getting those infuriating 32710 updates every few days that make precisely f-all difference to my computer?

Sounds like a win-win so far

It’s exactly this sort of wooly thinking that ends up with me spending half a day disinfecting someone’s PC.

13thfloormonk

What do the updates do that Kaspersky lab doesn’t?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lots. The patch vulnerabilities in the OS itself (all OS’s have these) they fix things that are not quite right, they update for new tech.

spursn17
    Free Member

Hypothetical question; If someone had a ‘naughty’ copy of Win7 and is offered the upgrade would there be any problems?

Cougar

What do the updates do that Kaspersky lab doesn’t?

Nothing at all! Quick, ring Microsoft, you’ll save them a fortune in development costs!

Hypothetical question; If someone had a ‘naughty’ copy of Win7 and is offered the upgrade would there be any problems?

It wouldn’t work, the upgrade would fail at the point where (oddly enough) it checks your eligibility.

spursn17
    Free Member

Ta

jambalaya
    Free Member

BIL had problems with his printer/scanner/fax – supposedly new drivers where available but they didn’t work. Can print but scanner functionality no longer works.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 Countdown’ is closed to new replies.