• This topic has 97 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by wl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Will I be fired if
  • jhw
    Free Member

I take my bike up the lift to the 10th floor in my office building and then ride it down the entire internal staircase (not the fire escape, but not part of the carpeted “nice” part of the building, either). Security are certain to bust me on the CCTV: they watch it like hawks.

Strangely there’s nothing in my employment contract about this. Will I be fired or merely hauled before a disciplinary committee?

Reckon this would be good on a GoPro and will it be less manly if I do it on my FS bike as opposed to my hardtail?

sc-xc

I think that would be fine.

dogbert
    Free Member

fired – probably for being an idiot, they’ll see you as putting yourself in harms way on their property

getonyourbike
    Free Member

yes, it’ll definitely be less manly to do it on a full sus. Go for it!

jhw
    Free Member

I hate the job anyway. Spectacular way to quit? Like an employee’s version of constructive dismissal.

The question is whether to do it at 2am on Sunday morning or at lunch time when everyone is using it on Monday.

higthepig
    Free Member

Chose you bike carefully, I did a similar thing a while ago but could only use a Moulton, wheels were a little too small for the stair treds and I bounced half a floor with the bike on top of me, bloody lucky I was drunk at the time or it would have hurt. 🙂

project
    Free Member

just do it,

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting one. so long as you don’t put anyone in danger I don’t see waht you could be disciplined for. Would amuse me to defend it

scaredypants

how could they be anything other than impressed

get on

samuri
    Free Member

Do you need a reference from this company?

“…exhibits signs of recklessness and a lack of concern for his own and others safety”

And if someone is walking up the stairs….

jhw
    Free Member

Shall I offer a bung to security or will that compromise the whole operation? (they’re not very sympathetic types)

DickBarton

Do it…I did it on an external staircase that had been repainted…very slippery. Ended up wrapped under the banister…looked ‘good’.

Jfdi!!!

higthepig
    Free Member

Shall I offer a bung to security or will that compromise the whole operation?

Nah, just scream ‘You’ll never take me alive’ as you scorch down.

jhw
    Free Member

The layout is –

10 staircases down (I have to carry my bike up the last 4)

then if I can get security on-side, through a corridor, past their desk, and off a 5ft drop into the lorry loading bay, and out into the City

Be a crime not to

freeagent
    Free Member

I broke the frame on my Muddy Fox Courier riding down the stairs at uni..

jhw
    Free Member

Specialized Enduro with coil shock should be able to take it

not sure if trust the On One Inbred sufficiently (chain tends to jam in stressful situations)

Vid to follow in the next few weeks

drofluf
    Free Member

Full face helmet with mirroed visor then how will they know it’s you?

We’ll probably need a what tyres for carpeted staircase thread as well 😛

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Are there corners involved or is it a straight run?

Either way, get a video when you do it!

oldnick

Wear fancy dress, claim that it’s for charidee and go for it.

Full sus and use the skirtings as berms and you’ll be fine 🙂

jhw
    Free Member

Corners – many corners. There are two possible staircases – one is very tight with lots more corners and a low roof requiring ducking – would be the better of the two to do.

Would doing it in my suit be a bit gimmicky? Perhaps smart casual/khakis, and chrome goggles. How do boatshoes grip V12s, I wonder?

High Rollers or Minions?

oldnick

Possibly ask the Mrs to do a strip tease to distract the security?

Russell96

With a previous employer (early 90’s) We had a race round a large open plan office on a nightshift, realised about an hour before going off shift that we had left big rubber skid marks all over the place, so spent the rest of the shift moving carpet tiles around to hide the offending ones underneath desks.

brakes
    Free Member

naked with your hair on fire or it doesn’t count

jhw
    Free Member

“naked with hair on fire”

thus literally ending my employment here by going down in flames

Occupy protest is across the street – could totally blame it on them in a push

fenred
    Free Member

Wouldnt condone not wearing a lid, but to do it whilst wearing your pants on your head and some brown leather biggles-esque goggles would truly be sylin’

oldnick

I think you have a plan.

However, to answer the question, yes, you probably would get fired.

andrewh
    Free Member

Tried it in the (4 story) student house. The turn on the first landing was quite an issue, removed a hefty chucnk of plaster from the wall and never did manage it.
    Drofluf, the OP said there is no carpet so whatever tyre you were going for would probably be unsuitable. You need a Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 (Hakkapeliitta actually translates as ‘Stair Tyre’ and W240 indicates the width of stair tread for which it is suitable, in this case 240mm, but they do one for smaller 106mm steps)

justatheory
    Free Member

This reminds me of when we recently moved offices. Our team was the last to leave the building so I’d bring the bike on to the office floor. One evening my work mate and I set up a trials course across all of the desks on the floor – it was brilliant! My mate filmed it, I’ll get the footage 😀

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Start a “just giving” page and nominate a truly heartbreaking charity to legitimise your cause.

I pledge a fiver.

motivforz
    Free Member

I tried this in my uni halls, very tight corners with short moderate steepness stairs. Going down them was fine, it was the tight turn that got me, as you had to come off the stairs onto landing at an angle, otherwise you would be jammed up against the wall. Did 2 then fell on my head on the 3rd. Don’t let it put you off though! Do it (and definitely film it), would go on the less tight of the two staircases if you have a choice.

ton

if you do it and post it up i for one will donate some cash to a charity of your choice.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I imagine that fits the definition of gross misconduct fairly well… So instant dismissal.

bruneep

M1llh0use – Member
    Are there corners involved or is it a straight run?

You never thought that through before you wrote that did you? 10 floors up a down a staircase with out corners. 😀

I think a new sport has been born, work cycling.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Granted I might not have read the 10 floors bit… 😳

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Take yummy cake to the security guys.

Get them to give you the recording whilst not telling management.

Post on internet.

takisawa2

Has to be suit & tie with a full face helmet & mirrored goggles.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

remeber to dial down your rebound damping

meehaja
    Free Member

Do it, I did my halls of residence a couple of times. But have a plan of attack, are you just going to roll down each flight? remember you’ve got 180 degree turns at every floor, so either go trials style with an endo flicking the back out or maybe a balls out wall ride by hitting it full pelt and hitting the end wall with a table top bouncing off the wall into the next flight?

Not sure you can get sacked, but if you do, what a way to go out.

project
    Free Member

Make sure every landing has a large Singletrack sign on it, or one saying office trail centre and start a trend.

jhw
    Free Member

I can see the edit now – a mix of GoPro and security footage

The loading bay leads into a business estate in the City with some great lines I’ve seen (heavily patrolled) including a possible wallride on a huge steel Richard Serra sculpture (shame I can’t wallride)

To be continued

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Will I be fired if’ is closed to new replies.