Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Will an 8spd block/chainset work with a new 9 speed shifter?
  • superdale
    Free Member

Can you make a new 9 speed Sram Attack shifter work on an 8 speed block setup? Is it just a case of adjusting the screws on the mech and not using 9th gear or is the spacing on the cassette completely different?
    Cheers…Alex

clubber
    Free Member

It can sort of work but it’s never really right – you adjust it so that it works spot on in the middle gears and then it’s get slightly out of line as you go up/down the block.

I’ve done it in the past but it’s not really great as a long term solution. Better get an 8 speed shifter on the classifieds if you need one.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

spacing is different

you might be able to do something fancy with where the cable attaches to the mech but it’d be trail and error

superdale
    Free Member

Thanks it is for my g-friends bike and i would like to fit my Hayes but she has 8-speed combi alivio brakes/shifters. 8 speed shifters seem to be coming hard to find but upgrading all to nine speed seems a bit costly when it is all working ok. Will have to have a look at Mayhem offers. Ta

clubber
    Free Member

The upgrade would only be an extra chain and cassette over what you’d already have to buy (eg a new shifter).

There are probably some pretty cheap deals out there on those at deore level I reckon…

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Wooly hat shop had some pretty cheap stuff when I went up to 9 speed

Olly
    Free Member

No, in my experience.

woolyhatshop should be able to get you a cheap 8speed shifter.

i would suggest getting an 8spd sram attack.

excellent shifters, cheap, and mine are on thier 3rd year with no worries whatsoever

glangri2
    Free Member

Read the following link and take the question to unheard of Geek-y-ness level.

Cassette Information Link

In short, the spacing between the sprockets on an 8spd cassette is 4.8mm, and on a 9sp is 4.34mm.

So that is the distance that an 8 or 9 spd shifter will move the mech respectively.

Set it up OK on sprockets 4 & 5, (like clubber suggests) and by the time you get to sprockets 1 or 8, the chain will be 1.38mm out of alignement.
    Like he says, it will work, but it won’t be idea, and will probably be noisey.

If you are splashing out on Sram Attack levers, then I’d go the whole hog and get a cassette as well.

Incidently, the sprocket widths are almost the same so you don’t really need to change the chain aswell – BUT if the current chain is worn, it will jump around like a nightmare if you run it on a new cassette.

Looking at your dilema though Superdale, Chainreaction.com have got 8sp Alivio pods in stock, and for less than the Sram Attacks !

8spd Alivio Pods @ ChainReaction

Cheers
    Gary

Olly
    Free Member

but sram attacks are awesome, Alvivio are pap 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Will an 8spd block/chainset work with a new 9 speed shifter?’ is closed to new replies.