Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wilderswood Rivington
  • portlyone

The 25k OS map says it’s a permissive bridleway, the signs say footpath. Has something changed…?

Rode it for the first time recently and was slightly confused with the “correct” way to access it.

wors

Link on streetmap?

wors

I always thought it was a bridleway but tbh i can’t ever remember looking at the sign 😀

portlyone

The gate and sign looked new… fun little addition to our usual Rivi routes

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If it’s not actually a bridleway, then it’s certainly assumed to be one by the horsey grigade. It sees a lot of hooved trafic and the gates at both ends are “horse friendly” ones.

MadBillMcMad

no idea on the legal access to it.

But what is the confusing bit of how to access it ?

portlyone

But what is the confusing bit of how to access it ?

The map showed the route I was planning on taking as a bridleway, I initially rode past the signed footpaths looking for said bridleway sign.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

A more interesting route down is to follow the perimeter of Wilderswood (as was – before the tree felling) anticlockwise from the Pike road to the foot of that path that you linked.
    That may not be a bridleway though 😉

portlyone

I think I see what you mean. With all these confusing signs I can’t be held responisble if I get lost 😉

MadBillMcMad

ahh sorry, I am in the state as wors.

must admit looking at the map I can’t say I have ever seen the slightly more northern path (that is marked as a permissive BW). Always used the gate nearer the woods that is shown as a FP.

As ET says there a several good tracks through the woods.

wors

A more interesting route down is to follow the perimeter of Wilderswood (as was – before the tree felling) anticlockwise from the Pike road to the foot of that path that you linked.

Always wondered about that one, i’ll give it a try – ta.

D0NK

wildeswood is concessionary bridleway, new sign and gate you say? Last tuesday it wass still the old battered gate so are you sure you’re not looking at the new FP link? Going down georges lane from rivi there’s a newish FP gate/stile thing then a few yards later the normal gate to wildeswood BW.

Edit altho the OS map makes it look the otherway around the first one is FP style – either swing gate or stile can’t remember – the second is horsey/bikey proper gate

portlyone

I’d agree with your edit, the new FP link seems to be where the OS map shows a BW.

Maybe I was distracted by the rain but I thought the battered gate also had a FP sign next to it… Google streetview shows an old ilegible sign, I remember a newer green one http://g.co/maps/wpyv

MadBillMcMad

rain… you must have been on the wrong hill completely, no wonder you were confused.

simondbarnes

Get off my land 🙂

wors

Get off my land

It’s lowey’s land, i’ll tell him! 😈

Vortexracing

just remember they are all BW’s at night 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Wilderswood Rivington’ is closed to new replies.