Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wild camping in Cheviots
  • mlke
    Free Member

I thought I might have a day or two exploring the cheviots on the bike. The plan is to start in Wooler then heading towards coquet valley/Kielder forest dipping into Scotland when I feel like it.
    Can anyone share tips on safety/availability of water and hassel free pitches for a small tent?
    I assume midges will be a bit of a threat esp near trees

P.S. Grid references would be appreciated for successful pitches/drinking water

JohnClimber
    Free Member
    Drac

Kielder is a long way from Wooler.

t-p26
    Free Member

If youre starting at Wooler and heading for coquetvalley/Kielder youre going away from Scotia!
    Follow bridleways/back roads south from Wooler heading towards Ingram, then up and over towards Prendwick then drove roads/tarmac into coquet valley. As for getting to Kielder from there……TARMAC
    The pennine way which I think yopu may be planning to trace is not really a cycleable option because of direction of travel and its footpathness.

mlke
    Free Member

thanks for that – yup not planning on going as far South as Kielder water but maybe dipping into the Northern part of the forest at the end of the ride. Route is open but maybe up the college valley on the bridle to the border ridge. Either into Scotland or moderate cheek along the pennine way to perhaps Salter’s road area and down for a while from there.
    At some point upto Windy Gyle and down “the street” on the Scottish side. I’ve no idea how “the street” rides but it looks like double track on the OS 1:25k.
    The bikeandbivi link sounds ideal. I shall give that a peruse at some point

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Have a search back through this http://welshridething.blogspot.com/

There should be answers to your questions … except route.

mlke
    Free Member

I liked the welshridething link so ta for that

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wild camping in Cheviots’ is closed to new replies.