Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wild Boar Chase (May 20th 2012)
  • ceramicmatt

I’m thinking of entering the Wild Boar Chase in the Forest of Dean in a few weeks. Have any singletrack members done this event before or thinking of entering? It looks like a good event to get back into a bit of racing i.e, not too full-on!

Cheers

mattsccm
    Free Member

Its new.

psling
    Free Member

Like mattsccm says, it’s a new event running for the first time this year and as far as I’m aware it’s not a race. It is a great opportunity to explore parts of the Forest of Dean and lower Wye Valley though.

Wild Boar Chase

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve entered the 42 mile one, it will be more about finishing than setting a decent time though for me…

s4rpf
    Free Member

I’m tempted to do it as well. Do we know that its more of a relaxed pace as id enjoy a mass ride out on some new tracks but not really into the whole racing thing

psling
    Free Member

It’s a bit like a MTB sportive, you can go as furious or as relaxed a pace as you choose… 8)

senorj

I’ve just entered – apparently the price goes up in May –
    only 184 places left as of 11.48 am.

All I need now is a guide for the Saturday? 😉 😀

drjohn
    Free Member

The Lions will provide timing for the event and I think they will use coloured zip ties or something (like Wentwood) to determine which course option was taken…

jimster
    Free Member

I’m curious about this shin-dig.

Anyone have any ideas where the route will go and will it include any old family favourites? I know you can’t say too much, but I’m just curious. 😕

psling
    Free Member

I’ve not been involved with the event (although I’ll probably be helping with the marshalling) so don’t know the trails they’ll be using. A few of ‘the old favourites’ are technically speaking out of bounds so I’d be surprised if they’re being used. I understand that the long route may be disappearing into the Wye Valley beyond St.Briavels and reappearing from Redbrook up through Newland. But I’m just guessing really. DrJohn may have a better idea although my guess is that the final routes haven’t actually been confirmed yet. Possibly. I think it’s fair to say that it will include some tarmac and some old unsurfaced roads as well as singletrack and fire road. A great opportunity to see the area but the route will by necessity have to accommodate a large number of riders and the trails will have to reflect this.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going along to this as well. Need to get place booked. What distance to do though…?

ceramicmatt

I decided to go for the forest boar at 25 miles, need to improve my fitness for anything further! 47 miler Full Boar next year!

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the parking situation is? There’s no way the car park will fit 2 or 3 hundred cars in.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Doh, the answer to my question has appeared on the website: there’s parking in the Hotel field (unless it’s wet).

FuzzyWuzzy

Has anyone got an idea of the trail conditions on the course atm? Apparently the Enduro was a mudfest last year (or was it the year before?) I really hope that if the rain eases off by mid-week then it’s going to be ridable…

I’ll save my “what tyres?” question until closer to the day :p

mokl
    Free Member

It gets greasy in the wet, but I’d be surprised if you needed full mud tyres.

amt27
    Free Member

there is a fair amount of fireroad and wide tracks, which means event if it does rain mid week, mud tyres will be overkill, only useful on a few sections that could be muddy,

the enduro was almost continuous singletrack on unsurfaced tracks, plus is rained the night before,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wild Boar Chase (May 20th 2012)’ is closed to new replies.