Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wii question
  • freddyg
    Free Member

MrsG has announced that she would like a Wii (plus Wii fit thingy) for her birthday.

I've had a look on-line and can see various bundle options available for around the £220 mark.

For that, I could get:

Play:
    Black Wii Console
    Wii Remote
    Wii Sports
    Wii Sports Resort (with Wii MotionPlus)
    Wii Fit Plus (with Wii Balance Board)

Game:
    Nintendo Wii Black Limited Edition Console with Sports Resort Pak

Argos:
    The white version (no mention of the Wii remote (whatever that is..))

Gamestation:
    Nintendo Wii Black Limited Edition Console with Sports Resort Pak

They all look like much of a muchness, is that so? Do I just get my credit card out and splash the cash? Is there anything missing from the bundles?

One thing she likes is that as the kids are still very young (4.5 & 3), the games seem to be of the non-violent type – so they can use it too.

BTW, the last console I bought was a sega megadrive – I'm a little out of date. Thanks.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Yes, you will need additional remotes and nunchucks. And lots and lots of AA batteries.

Game looks to get the most stuff so why not go there? Have you checked Amazon?

stumpy01

The console should come with a Wii remote (it's the controller). Does the play offer mean you get an additional controller?

On the face of it, the Play one looks the best deal.

The thing with the Wii is that you think it's quite cheap initially, but once you start getting more games that require more add-ons, like the steering wheels for Mario Kart it soon gets quite pricey.
    And one of the advantages of the Wii is the social aspect of gaming so you will more than likely require multiple controllers etc. eventually.
    Not knocking it; I really like mine, but it can get quite pricey.

ski
    Free Member

I know a few people who have bought the fit board & tbh none of them are now using it or still have it.

One thing she likes is that as the kids are still very young (4.5 & 3), the games seem to be of the non-violent type – so they can use it too.

Yep its great for kids, just keep them away from your TV, as they have a habbit of sneaking closer and closer when they play.

We started with just the Wii and Wii sports, that kept us amused for ages tbh.

TheFlyingOx

And lots and lots of AA batteries.

You can get rechargeable battery packs and controller docks from most game shops/argos/supermarkets. I got one for about £5 at Morrisons. The controllers sit in the dock, which is plugged into a USB port on the Wii, and they charge up when not in use – you need to leave the Wii on though, or find another USB port to plug them into.

freddyg
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Can it also be used as a media-centre-type-thing?

Also, we've only got an old CRT telly – so no HDMI, Will this be an issue?

richmars

OK without HDMI, just better with it. Can also use it for BBC iplayer if you have a wi-fi connection

freddyg
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member

Yes, you will need additional remotes and nunchucks.

I'll need both? Also, what is a "Wii MotionPlus"? doesn't this do the same thing?

<wanders off scratching head>

I think I might just buy her a cardigan instead 🙄

iainc

have just entered Wii land in our house too, with 2 kids aged 7 and 4. Basic package (Wii sports I think) came with one controller and one nunchuck, so we bought a second of each to allow 2 players at the same time. AFAIK the 'motionplus' just makes the remote/controller more sensitive – we didn't bother with buying them.

We didn't go for the Wii fit. Second comments above about keeping the kids back from the telly….and making sure they have the wrist straps done up right…

richmars

Wii Motion Plus has better motion sensors in it so is more sensitive. Only works with some games so isn't needed to start with.
    Some games use both the controller and the nunchuck.

TheFlyingOx

Wii doesn't do HDMI, so it won't make a difference either way. It just has SCART/composite out.

To use it as a media centre, download TVersity and install it on your PC. There are instructions on the TVersity website for setting it up for Wii. You can then stream all your music & films to the Wii, assuming you have wireless t'internet.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wii question’ is closed to new replies.