Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 301 total)
  • Wiggins Giro (spoiler)
  • Edric64
    Free Member

As he is losing more time is he ruling himself out winning already? If so will he ride to orders and play second fiddle in the tour?

wwaswas

spoiler?

Edric64
    Free Member

Sorry ,edited didnt think !

unklehomered
    Free Member

he’s already not leading for the tour.

michaelbowden

Looks like he’s dropped over a minute

Edric64
    Free Member

I know that which is why im asking if he will still play second fiddle to Froome if the giro win fails to materialize

PiknMix
    Free Member

He looked well mardy poo plums today, I’m sure he will make some time up tomorrow.

makeitorange
    Free Member

He does seem to be having some bad luck at the Giro, be interesting to see how he does tomorrow in the TT.

Also I’m not watching on TV, just reading some live text feeds, but it sounds like the Giro has been carnage, loads of crashes! (this is also the first road race I’ve really followed so this may be normal?)

DenDennis
    Free Member

If the giro win does materialise now then I reckon he would deffo be a better bet than Froome-Dog.

He’s had his work cut out anyway without the likes of losing such time as today.
    those big steep mountain finishes in the last week, combined with the likes of 20sec time bonuses for stage winners will be against him.

I’ll perhaps be eating my words if he puts 3mins into everyone 2moz but has he injured his elbow too? shame if so.

mintimperial

(this is also the first road race I’ve really followed so this may be normal?)

Nah, not normal, riders all over the road, messy. Even Nibali binned it but he got back up and gave it some to get back on, Wiggins looked like he’d had the stuffing knocked out of him after he went down, hope he’s not injured.

TT tomorrow as you say, we’ll know for sure what his chances really are then. I reckon he’s screwed, oh well.

mrmo
    Free Member

Also I’m not watching on TV, just reading some live text feeds, but it sounds like the Giro has been carnage, loads of crashes! (this is also the first road race I’ve really followed so this may be normal?)

not normal, but seeing how wet the finish was, more a case of what boat for, not what tyre.

And looking at how far riders were sliding have to wonder how much diesel has been dumped on some of those corners!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I suspect Wiggo will not be doing any interviews after today’s stage!

Lifer
    Free Member

mintimperial – Member
    Nah, not normal, riders all over the road, messy

Wet roads, fast descent, not unusual to have a few offs. Normal amount of crashes otherwise too IMO.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Regardless of the crash Wiggins has already been dropped on several climbs this Giro.. he’s not looking the same rider as he was last year, think he may have attended too many awards ceremonies/parties at the tail end of last year instead of training. He’s not had two decent seasons running on the road yet, even if he pulls back time tomorrow, he needed that time to give him an advantage ahead of the mountains, Nibali and Hesjedal look like they can drop him at will so far.

mrmo
    Free Member

https://vine.co/v/b07rQV7x5wQ

not sure if we work, video of finish

Lifer
    Free Member

I think the mountain time trial on stage 18 will be the decider. Will be a lot of gurning that day.

Lifer
    Free Member

And where’s Uran now? Understand that Wiggins has dropped out of the top 20 for GC, if Uran’s got a significant lead he’ll be chomping at the bit…

EDIT – just read that Uran dropped back to help Wiggo so ignore all that!

frosty87
    Free Member

If this puts him out of contention for the Giro I think he will only be hungrier for another shot at a Tour win. Could lead to a very interesting inter-team battle with Froome

Looks like it was a hard hit to his hip. Hope he is ok and has a great TT tomorrow.

AlexSimon

Talk of thunderstorms and rain for the TT too.
    Looks pretty bendy too.

I’m sure if he’s at his best he can take 1min out of most, but that means he’s got to beat people in the mountains. Can’t see that based on what we’ve seen this last week.

His head hasn’t been in the right place – easily disheartened.

Gary_M
    Free Member

think he may have attended too many awards ceremonies/parties at the tail end of last year instead of training

Nomsemse

joeydeacon
    Free Member

think he may have attended too many awards ceremonies/parties at the tail end of last year instead of training

Nomsemse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2249728/Bradley-Wiggins-stops-McDonalds-night-partying.html

Well there were a lot of story lines like this (excuse the Daily Fail), which seems to be just before Xmas.. haven’t seen any other cyclists doing this (other than Schleck allegedly)

Edit: I’m not blaming him for what it’s worth, I’m just guessing the rest of his competitors weren’t partying, pretty sure he said in one interview he didn’t touch the bike for around 2 months.

LsD
    Free Member

No sideboards this year. It bodes ill…………

stanfree
    Free Member

Echo whats been said , He needs to take a major chunk out of the time trial and get a decent lead before this time next week and the mountain stages.
    It’s hard to say where his head is at to be honest but It looks like he’s been sheltered before the Giro with only two decent events prior to this event. He’s still a magnificent sportsman and here’s hoping he starts to pick up some time in the next week.

Lifer
    Free Member

I want Nibali to win this year.

RayMazey
    Free Member

Come on Cadel 🙂

MSP

I think that it was always a big ask for him to win the giro, especially without the teams best climber for support. Last years TdF was always his best shot, with less mountain top finishes and TT’s.

And it has to be said, that despite sky’s dominance, they don’t seem to have the knack of keeping their lead rider at the front and out of trouble.

Part of me hopes Froome doesn’t win the TdF this year, it would some how lessen sir Brad’s achievement if the team pulled it of 2 years running with different riders. And Froome just isn’t as likeable is Wiggins.

Edric64
    Free Member

It would keep Froomes gobby missus quiet if he had a mare of a tour

mrblobby
    Free Member

He did have quite an easy ride to the Tour last year, team always in control and never really troubled. He does look like he’s on a downer because things aren’t going his way.

Edit: FWIW my money’s on Hesjedal, looks the most in control of the GC bunch.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Early days yet but I still reckon he will be in the top 5 by the end.

MSP

I don’t think I would ever call winning the TdF an easy ride, but I do think that last years race suited his strengths more than most.

JCL
    Free Member

With these conditions a former MTB’er will win. Handling goons like Wiggo don’t stand a chance.

crazy-legs

Early days yet but I still reckon he will be in the top 5 by the end.

Early days indeed, the first week of a Grand Tour is always carnage. Although it has to be said, he’s had more than his fair share of bad luck.

Loads more to come though, plenty of days that make today and the previous few look like easy pedals in the park.

I still hope that Ryder Hesjedal wins it again though. 😉

riderideride
    Free Member

Froome dog must of been laughing,why was he at back anyway? Telling camera bikes to stop filming him,i think that knighthood has gone to his head,it was a hard stage,but should of been up front?

mt
    Free Member

Wiggins will not win. Believe because I’m certain that my total lack of knowledge gives an incite others down have.

Lifer
    Free Member

Meh, I just find him a bit boring as a rider. Plus lots of mountains to come.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Going down the road on yer arse does nothing for moral. Still far too early to call it, a good TT result will bring back a spark. Will be win the Giro?
    Nah, Nibs/Cadel but I’m plugging Santanbrugio from ViniFan.

scaredypants

I only saw the last about 30k today

wiggo looked like shite, long before he fell off (or did he fall more than once ?)

thecrookofdevon

Was it really surprising that he didn’t fancy the roads in the rain? Unless he is injured he will take serious time out of everybody bar Evans in the TT. However still not sure he can hold on to the lead even if he gets it with all the uphill finishes which will suit the pure climbers.
    Not convinced his heart is not in it. He looks pretty concentrated and dedicated to me.

scaredypants

Was it really surprising that he didn’t fancy the roads in the rain?

wasn’t on a descent; he was fannying about at the back of the bunch on a pretty straight road looking like he’d bonked or something

uponthedowns
    Free Member

He said in his autobiography he hates the cold and rain and his legs don’t work well in the cold. Hope the forecast for tomorrow is dry and sunny or he’s toast.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 301 total)

The topic ‘Wiggins Giro (spoiler)’ is closed to new replies.