Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wifi extenders
  • timbur
    Free Member

Any recommendations?
    Got a BT HH4 that it’ll need to work with.
    Thanks
    Tim

Stoner
    Free Member

BT brand Hotspot powerline units.

Ive tried a number of powerline repeaters, and the BT ones are the most stable. Although Ive had one of each brand fail (including BT) after around 12months.

ALl of them are surprisingly poorly built for the money,

hugo
    Free Member

I’ve got a tp link plug in one. Works well with no issues.

Can’t say much more really!

peter1979
    Free Member

I bought a TP Link from Currys last week as my Sky Box is too far from the router to get decent signal. Also WIFI signal to the lounge was generally weak.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-wpa4230pkit-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10127168-pdt.html

So far its been fine. Wifi is full signal now. Was easy to set up. Just follow the youtube video online and clone your existing WIFI network. I havent seen it slow down or anything.

hugo
    Free Member

Just for clarification, mine is one of these :

pnik

+1 for tplink, put one in at my parents working with their bt home hub 4. Works well been there a year or so just pluging away.

mattbee

Got a Huaiwei plug in one from Amazon, with Virgin cable broadband.
    Sucessfully manage to use my iPad in garage 12m from house to stream Sufferfest videos.

chorlton
    Free Member

I’ve the same TP-Link one. Great when it’s working but it needs piddling* about with every few days when it decides to stop working.

*unplugging and plugging back in.

timbur
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Food for thought.
    BT are trying to tinker but it’s not helping so additional hardware needed I think.
    Wonder if they’ll send me one if i ask nicely?

breninbeener

I have a brand new pr of BT internet extenders. Im not sure on the model. I bought them in error and they are for sale!

timbur
    Free Member

Drop me a mail with details will you breninbeerner?
    I need the WiFi ones not the internet extender plugs (unless they do both?)
    Cheers
    Tim

breninbeener

@timbur I finish work at 6pm and will tell you what model they are when i get in. I will also try and speak to my kids and see if they can tell me which model they are. They havnt been out of the box. Bought in error and didnt get round to sending back…doh

rossburton
    Free Member

My inlaws have a TP-Link, the one which connects to the “main” AP over wifi. It’s a performance hit as the repeater needs to send and receive over wifi, but we used to have the one that expanded over PowerLine and that needed to be power cycled every few weeks.

timbur
    Free Member

No rush. Its only a first world problem 😈

deadkenny
    Free Member

Go for powerline wifi extenders, not plain wifi extenders / repeaters.

A basic wifi extender takes the wifi signal and repeats it, but it halves the data rate, plus the extender needs to be in range of the original.

A powerline extender routes the signal through your power wiring and maintains speed, then the other end is effectively another wireless access point. You could do it instead with Ethernet cabling and a wireless access point, but then you have to route cabling round the house. Though a simple access point is cheap, and cable is cheap.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I went down this route for my 100mg Virgin broadband.
    Hardwired from Virgin router to
    http://www.ebuyer.com/668919-trendnet-tew-813dru-ac1200-dual-band-wireless-router-tew-813dru
    This set up gives me a full speed extension using the above as an extender.
    I actually got a free Switch unit so I can use upstairs or move it out to garage for garden use.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Don’t really need a router when you already have a router, but it’ll work and decent price. Wired between router and extender all you need is a Wireless Access Point and a bundle of CAT5 cable. Otherwise, I suggest a Powerline Wireless Extender.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wifi extenders’ is closed to new replies.