Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Wider bars, Haven or Havoc?
  • RustySpanner

Following on from this thread I’ve decided that the 21st Century isn’t so scary and I’m going to try wider bars.

Currently using 685mm risers.

So:
    Havens at 711mm, or Havocs at 750mm?

No DH/jumpy stuff envisioned but I’m wide across the shoulders.

Suggestions?

mrplow
    Free Member

I went Havoc, supposed to be strong as hell and you can cut them down. I went from about 685 to 750 havocs then cut them down to 740 for a natural fit. Any bigger felt funky for tight slow speed steering.

AJames
    Free Member

Renthal fat boys

Northwind

The Havocs work out heavier than the Havens even when cut down, but on the other hand you can’t extend a Haven 😉 I would suggest… neither actually, easton carbon bars are superb but the ally ones always seem overpriced to me.

Since you’re not sure what you want, Sunline and Answer are usually the kings of the cheap, reliable, used bar- try one for size and go from there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

VS One O/s in 745 and a great range of colours, nice sweep too (on my on-one)

or

Nukeproof Warheads 760mm of bright yellow! (on my heckler)

both awesome

chiefgrooveguru

Depends where you ride – Havens work great round here, I think I’d end up going round cutting trees down if I’d gone any wider. But there are a lot of trees and tight corners here! Whichever you get they’ll need a stiff stem to really appreciate their precision (that’s in reference to the very stiff carbon ones).

RustySpanner

Sorry folks, but for reasons too complicated to go into, it’s either carbon Havens or Havocs.

Anyone bought Havens then wished they’d gone wider?

pitcherpro
    Free Member

+1’s for Havocs , 750 was a little bit too wide so trimmed them down to 730
    If you still fancy the havens then just get some single lock ring grips and you can extend the width of them a little 😉

Northwind

Ah, carbon? Fair enough then. I use 710mm Haven carbons on 2 of my bikes, never felt the need for more but it’s personal taste entirely. (I bought a set of 800mm Nukeproofs, cut them, cut them, cut them, ended up at 710mm. Bought a set of Answers, cut them, they’re still at 720mm on the dh bike but might still come down.

You don’t need to worry about strength with either at least, the spec for the Haven was that it had to be as strong as the old monkeylite dh- and I fondly remember seeing my bike had fallen from the gondola at fort william onto the bars yet took no damage.

I’d still recommend testing the water with a cheaper bar then making the commitment once you know, though.

burnie
    Free Member

you can’t extend a Haven

I got Havocs for this reason plus a good offer at Merlin and i’m glad I did. I think I will cut them down a bit but I doubt that I will take them down as short as the havens.

mboy
    Free Member

Sorry folks, but for reasons too complicated to go into, it’s either carbon Havens or Havocs.

Anyone bought Havens then wished they’d gone wider?

I used to be an “Easton only” man due to having got used to their shape etc. Very nice bars too… Was on Easton since probably 2001/2 until this year.

Then I tried Sunline… And I won’t be going back!

As for the anyone bought 711mm wide bars and wished they bought wider question… You won’t ever know that one til you try wider bars for yourself. Back in the day, I was blisfully happy with 660mm wide bars. Then one day I tried 685’s and it was like a revelation! Late last year I finally tried some 711’s, and it was like another revelation… A few weeks ago, I bought some 762mm wide Sunline flat bars and, yup, you’ve guessed it… Go ride a couple of bikes with wide bars, see for yourself what feels good or not, there is still such a thing as “too wide” but that will differ for the individual. Personally I’m loving the 762’s now, but I think they’re on the boundary of acceptability for my tastes, I know that on 685’s I always used to hang my hands off the end of my grips, now I my hands don’t even go all the way to the ends, so I’m guessing any wider and it would all be outboard of my hands anyway in my natural position.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Go for the wider Havocs, you won’t regret it. You can always cut them down if you really find them too big & the extra weight really is insignificant.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had this dilema recently. Going from 660 cnt bars. I couldn’t make up my mind, then Merlin did a silly offer on the havoc so at that price it would have been rude not to get a couple.
    At no point have I thought I should have got the haven. It’s less than 20mm each end. The difference now is that I put my hand in the middle of the grip rather than right over the end.

rOcKeTdOg

now I my hands don’t even go all the way to the ends,

So you don’t need bars that wide then? Just unused extra weight to carry around

purser_mark
    Free Member

Bought Haven as I found a cheap pair off a demo bike, came from 685, they’re nice but I could have gone wider without an issue, especially for more gravity orientated work. For my riding I reckon 720 would be optimum.

Much wider than that and they could be a pain in the trees at times.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’ve got carbon Havens, and I kind of wish I’d gone for the carbon Havocs…
    That’s all I’m saying.

andyl
    Free Member

swapped some carbon havens for some carbon havocs before I fitted them as from moving my grips off the ends of my 685mm bars I felt I needed something wider than 711mm.

The 750mm wide havocs look very odd – only tried them round the garden but at the moment I would say 730mm would be my natural width based on my shoulders. But that just means I have my hands in the middle of the grips instead of hanging off the ends like they used to.

and also got some 710mm wide carbon flat bars from CRC with bar ends fitted right on the outside. They do confirm I needed wider than the Havens for my main bike but with the bar ends on they are perfect for the rigid 29er which is more of a general use bike.

The havocs are a lot heavier though. Havens are amazingly light for a 711mm bar at 170g but the Havocs are 230g so <700mm aluminium bar territory so no weight saving over my EA70 low risers. Still light for a 750mm bar though and noticeably tougher feeling than the havens.

Superficial
    Free Member

The Haven’s won’t feel dramatically different from your current bars – essentially you’re only moving each hand 13mm outwards. Whereas 750 will feel noticeably different.

I’ve got Carbon Havocs which are fantastic. No idea about the Havens – other than they’re significantly lighter (and presumably less stiff?). For what it’s worth I never noticed any difference in ‘trail buzz’ going from Alu bars to the carbon Havocs. Either that term is an entirely-fabricated marketing buzzword, or the Havocs are made stiffer since they’re intended for DH. Whatever, both are probably pretty good for what they’re intended for.

makkag
    Free Member

love my havocs at full length gnarrr

Hanky

Carbon Havocs for me, not cut down, they are pretty much perfect

mboy
    Free Member

Yes/No/Maybe. Anyway, I CBA to cut a whole 10mm off each end, which would probably leave them at optimal width for me. That and it’s nice to be holding 100% grip, rather than the outside of my hand on the metal lockring all the time.

faz083
    Free Member

I got havens and they just felt right instantly, but I’ve not tried wider.

sprocker
    Free Member

+1 for havoc, i have the carbon ones at 750 best bar i have ever had, do catch the odd tree though 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol, who cares about weight! most of us could shed more from the belly than the bike!

RustySpanner

Right.

After a highly scientific experiment involving a warped mop handle and some duct tape I’ve decided…………..
    to keep the mop handle.

Nah, gone for the Havens.

750 was just too much.

I’m a shortarse, and found that about 710 feels natural.
    750 feels like it might be a bit awkward at low speeds, and would be too wide for a couple of the gates and a bridge with handrails on my favourite local trails. I know this because I’m sad enough to have measured them.

Have now got the Havens but not fitted them yet.
    Can take them back if I change my mind again over the weekend.

Will be going on a small 100mm hardtail with a 90mm stem and hopefully will be spot on.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

argyle
    Free Member

i have havens and cut them down to 700. but I am short, with little arms. Similar to a velociraptor…

nice bars, graphics come off as soon as you look at them though, if that kind of thing bothers you

andyl
    Free Member

Barriers on the Strawberry line are about 700mm apart. I am stuffed!

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Why anyone would want bars longer than 700mm is beyond me! 🙄
    My bars are about 585mm wide, nice and light, it just causes extra weight surely? 🙄

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Wider bars, Haven or Havoc?’ is closed to new replies.