Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Whyte HT Options
  • bobster
    Free Member

For general Trail riding and having fun – Whyte 905 or Whyte 19 Trail Steel?

I’ve tried the normal 19 and it’s a lot of fun, but I think for my riding the steel might suit better. If I was to go with ally surely the 905 would be fine, or is the 19 really that much better a bike?

And for those that own or have tried the Ti version. How good is it? The mags seems to love it. Is it the best of both worlds? (I can feel my bank account groaning….)

messiah
    Free Member

I like my steel a great deal, but if I had the money I would not be buying a Ti. Not because I believe its bad in any way, but because I know from the steel I want something a little different in the geometry. Buying or borrowing any will let you find out if they work for you.

djglover
    Free Member

I much prefer my 905 to a steel hardtail, feels really nimble. If I could justify the cost I’m sure ti would be amazing, but I’d not go for a steel one.

mtbfix

The 19 appeals over the 905 due to its dropouts and the option to run it SS.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Sir called, – yes I have the Ti one and can honestly say, it’s very nimble and sure is quick.

I definitely have to take it easy down the rough stuff (big rocks) though as what the mags test mentioned. Plus the fact that it has pretty light kit fitted.

It’s one for fast flowing/techy trails I feel.
    Frame has great detailing, has real world features and geo is spot on with a 120mm fork, might even be better with 130mm but 120mm is definitely the sweet spot for this ht and for all ht’s imo.

They measure up perfect although they should of offered the giraffes of the biking world, a 21″.

Anything specific you want to know about the 19 ti? 🙂
    I would of thought the 19 steel to be pretty good geo wise (like all Whyte’s) but is a tad heavy for what it is plus the 2011 forks aren’t bolt thru – WHY!?

What size are you after?

messiah
    Free Member

I used mine at SSEC2010 after my other bike suffered a rim failure. It’s a very versatile bike, able to race or take on long days, its not quite as capable in the big mountains as i would’ve liked… but much of that is possibly component choice.

messiah
    Free Member

Another point against the steel is the 27.2 seatpost (not what it says in the catalog but its what the frame has).

bobster
    Free Member

messiah – in what way are you looking for something different in geo?

onceinalifetime – How does the Ti handle tight, techy singletrack? Can you be a bit more specific on the sort of rough (big rock) stuff you need to take easy on? What else did you try before choosing the Ti 19? Ta

mtbfix – That’s the thing, I reckon I’d leave the dropouts alone, would only SS due to mech failure, so the 905 should be fine.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Perfect ime. when I say rough rocky stuff, I mean massive gully’s with massive rocks scattered everywhere.

Sure you could build it into a heavy trail bike but you’d probably get a ragley or whatever for that kind of riding as it would be missing the point not to build up light and fast.

I’ve tried various ti hardtails and the Whyte is the one for (for me) uk all round xc riding.

Get one, you won’t regret it whatever flavour (material) you get it in.

8)

messiah
    Free Member

bobster – I’m kind of between sizes with the geo – I’m on a Medium and would like a little longer top tube without going to a large.

The adjustable dropouts are fun – in the dry summer stretch them out for super speed stability, but in the winter you need them medium for back end grip when slipping in the mud… or leave them medium all the time as it’s the best comprimise.

For really silly gnar I would like the bottom bracket lower and to be able to drop the seatpost futher (seattube bottle bosses)… but I really should take my Nicolai Helius AM for those rides – better to take the correct tool for the job really.

I really do like my Whyte 19 steel… the geometry is as close as perfect as I’ll probably get without going custom… ie tweaking it a bit.

As I’ve said – magic XC and long rides but a bit out of it’s depth in the gnar… which it probably should be when you think about what it’s designed for and the build on it. That said… it can really tempt you into attacking the silly stuff and if you drop the saddle it’s like a little BMX and does put on a bl00dy good effort as a hooner.

bobster
    Free Member

Thanks onceinalifetime and messiah, really helpful.

onceinalifetime – could I ask what other Ti hardtails you tried? If a Soda, Hummer or even a Ti456 I’d be interested in a comparison as I’ve slung my leg over those.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have a 2005 or 2006 alloy 19 that I run Pikes on. It is a great bike. I’d love a stable of 19s in the variety of different materials.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’d love a stable of 19s in the variety of different materials.

Like this? 😀

Didn’t like the steel, too heavy.

bobster
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member
    Didn’t like the steel, too heavy.

That’s one of my thoughts, that it would lose some of the sprightly character. Is that a Ti in there then? How you finding it?

poppa
    Free Member

Another point against the steel is the 27.2 seatpost

Do you mean because you can’t run an adjustable post? Otherwise skinny posts = more compliance. Sometimes more noticeable than frame material(!).

Dibbs
    Free Member

Is that a Ti in there then? How you finding it?

The Ti’s fine, but to be honest I’m not sure if I can tell the difference between it and the Alloy one on the left, they’re both setup as SS with pretty much the same spec tyres probably account for most of any difference in feel.

messiah
    Free Member

27.2 post means you get a cheap & nasty qr instead of the nice Whyte one. I would like a little less flex from the seaport area, but I find the steel very comfortable and its certainly lively… not dead feeling at all.

messiah
    Free Member

PS. I would have bought the alloy 19 if I could have.

13thfloormonk

Can I just leap in here and ask how the 19 handles with 130/140mm forks?

I was thinking of one to replace the Marin Rocky Ridge I sold in haste earlier this year, it had 140mm forks and was brilliant in the mountains, not sure if I’d miss the extra 20mm or not.

Would Whyte warranty a bike with 140mm forks on it?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Whyte HT Options’ is closed to new replies.