Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whyte Charing Cross anyone?
  • fatmax

Hi folks
    Does anyone have experience of this bike or one of the other two in the range? http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-037-12. It seems to have a particularly long top tube and slack head angle, so just wondering if anyone has slung a leg over one.
    I’m looking for a cross/commuter with discs. I had a sit on a Boardman Team CX but at 6’5″ I felt it was too low for me, though top tube length was fine.
    Quite fancy the look of the Whyte but can’t see any online reviews. Going to try and have a sit on one locally, but any feedback would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    FTM

DickBarton

I’ve slung a leg over one and that is it…seems a nice bike…but literally it was leg over and hold the bars…then get off it…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’ve slung a leg over one and that is it..

in a similar vein to the bikes you’ve owned for quite a while LOL

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Say’s it all! lol.

I like whyte’s but the charing cross looks crap and someone mentioned on here probs bout the head angle and got rid iirc.

LittleTones
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kings Cross and love it to bits. It’s not a cyclocross bike in all fairness, but a hybrid cross/mtb/commuter bike with drop handlebars. In other words it’s a bit of a Mongrel, a compromise.

The slack angles mean that it is quite able to hold it’s own as a rigid mtb and I can ride all the trails I normally ride with a mtb on a Kings Cross with 35mm cycloX tyres, although a little slower. In addition it’s a competent road bike. It is not, in my opinion a race bike.

It is the sort of bike that you really need a test ride, to know whether it is right for you. HTH.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Hopefully I’ll be adding Saxon Cross to my Whyte fleet later in the year, replacing my Orbea.

fatmax

LittleTones, that is really useful, and makes it sound just what I’m after. It’ll primarily be a commuter, but a bit of versatility would be ideal. Many thanks. I’ve chased the local dealers to see if I can get a test ride. FTM

tomaso
    Free Member

I 6′ 2″ and have a Charing Cross in large. It rides nice and it can turn sharp and hard if you chuck it about. I am struggling to get comfy with drops but I’m not sure if this the bike or me – I think its the later.

In terms of quality it seems to be holding up well to 4 months of commuting, school run and the odd road ride.

fatmax

Bump for the lunchtime crowd…anyone else got any feedback?
    Many thanks
    F

Dibbs
    Free Member

After reading this thread earlier, I went into the LBS and had a sit on their Kings Cross (Large size) and yes it does seem long in the top but it felt pretty comfortable. I tried to get a ride on A Saxon Cross demo bike, they rang ATB sales but they said they didn’t have any left, they even tried to get hold of Lazy Boy, but he’s on holiday. I suppose it’s the wrong end of the CX season.

tomaso
    Free Member

Just popped a 50mm chunky stem on the Charing Cross and its improved things considerably. In-line seat post next to counter the long top tube.

fatmax

Bump. Anyone got any further feedback. I’m still thinking over this, a Tricross Elite Disc and a Genesis Vapour disc…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whyte Charing Cross anyone?’ is closed to new replies.