Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • WHY? (Landrover content)
  • U31
    Free Member

I only drove landrovers as
    :1- I was on a farm up on top of that monster of a hill in Bolton, the one with the big white stick on top, and used to to drive to and from lots of unpaved farms.

But the farm where i was based was always accessible in 2wd vehicles, unless it snowed, where as even the the land rover used to get left at the junction at Scout rd, and walk up.

2: I used to regularly tow trailers with up to 3 Tonne gross, and land rovers at the time were the only “car” rated to 5 tonne gross if fitted with tacho.

3: The Range Rover Tdi diesels and Disco Tdi’s did 35 mpg.

So i had 1 vehicle that could get to most places i needed to get to, tow the same as a small HGV, seat all the family and do all the above relatively fuel efficiently.

Now i drive 2wd cars, as i dont need any of the above capability anymore.

dazzlingboy

Again, none of the naysayers have obviously driven a 2007 onwards vehicle like mine. Cruises at 75-80 no problem. Has pretty good mid range acceleration for overtaking. Noise levels are reasonable – can hold a conversation at speed which was not easy in a pre-07 vehicle. No rattles. Not a single issue at all in 3 years.

OK, it is not as comfortable as a nice new modern car, but they are not as compromised as they once were. Old ones have a lot of downsides for sure!

dazzlingboy

PS – can’t wait for the new ones in 2012/13!

molgrips
    Free Member

Vehicle of choice for third world countries without decent roads is either a Landy or a Toyota Landcruiser, isn’t it?

I can see why a Landcruiser would be nice mind, even if it wasn’t quite as good off-road. I can imagine it’d be plenty more comfortable on a 10 hour drive on bumpy tracks.

hora
    Free Member

without decent roads

Majority of Landy drivers would be using UK roads though not African.

Again, none of the naysayers have obviously driven a 2007 onwards vehicle like min

If it drives anything like the 57 plate Transit I had last week it’d be ok- good gearchange location and keen/willing Ford diesel engine.

earl_brutus

bought a 93 defender 4 weeks ago and it is mega fun, huge load carrying capacity for dogs/wood/guns/trips to tip and gets me across farm land effortlessly for my pest control work( rabbits foxes pigeons etc) and on the odd payn play day at the 4×4 centre is unstoppable on some pretty gnarly terrain! all for less than 4k with no depreciation and £100 year to insure

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dazzling – we had a 24hr test of a 90 XS with all the toys (still not many) and the new 2.4TD engine.

Our thoughts were mixed – the “proper” rear seats are great as is the ventilation system from this century. Engine sounded a bit lumpy (Transit engine!) but pulled well enough. It was a black one and did look DAMN cool though.

We were tempted but went for a smaller 4×4 in the end. However with a growing family and the need for more towing capacity, a Landy it may be – wife took her test in one (!) and I’ve driven 1000s miles in various ones,

Aware of the shortfalls but overall, I still love them.

How are you finding the new engine compared to the TD5? Seems to have mixed reviews.

Think we’d need a 110 too but I do love the look of the 90s.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thing is, even if you need a real 4×4 for non-farm use, why would you go for a Defender over a Disco? (curious)

mattsccm
    Free Member

Hose pipe.

earl_brutus

discos look pikey, defenders look cool, im my opinion, though I am sure they are as equally capable in the muck

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Was in Inverie in Knoydart last week and virtually every vehicle was a Land Rover, with a couple of Jeeps about. Obviously the dogs up there, but why anyone would want one for just driving around on the tarmac in is beyond me.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Thing is, even if you need a real 4×4 for non-farm use, why would you go for a Defender over a Disco? (curious)

Defender is MUCH lighter, cheaper and has a hose down interior. It’s also better off road.

No farmer is his right mind would use a Disco. They are now pretty much luxury vehicles. Very good off road but just not tough enough.

molgrips
    Free Member

Mat, I said for NON farm use. So hosing down is unlikely to be an issue, as is top off-road capability.

If you just want to tow a horse, do farm tracks or forest access or whatever, would a Disco not be nicer and better for the rest of the miles?

earl_brutus

mechanics on a disco is another issue they are massively unreliable and electrics are a mega expense to fix. defenders are basic bolt together and parts are cheap and mechanics are much simpler to fix.

Edric64
    Free Member

Most Defender drivers wave to each other on the road. No other drivers (apart from VW campers!)

Oh dear how sad!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Someone just gave me an early eighties SWB Landy. 😀

We need one coz the private road to our house is almost 1 mile long and gets a lot of drifting snow. It’s not Taxed/tested but it’ll be perfect for winter.

Most Defender drivers wave to each other on the road. No other drivers (apart from VW campers!)

You’re right VW Campers wave at eachother as do 2CV drivers (at other 2CV drivers – not at VW Camper drivers obviously!)

matt_outandabout

OK, so having driven the two 110’s for 3 days….

Off road = super, and as said a toll for a job. We did a night evacuation of an ill child and a daytime, ‘cos I can I will’ drive up a couple of proper off road tracks and it was good.

On road – one refused to go in a straight line, both had electrical issues and both were massively uncomfortable.

(did put a smile on my face though) SO, I am a convert, but would never own one…

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘WHY? (Landrover content)’ is closed to new replies.