Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Why do you MTB?
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

What just thinking about why we do it – after all we all have our own reasons.

So, indulge me: why do YOU do it?

Some of my reasons for riding:
    Keep fit (-ish), maintain my energy levels
    Get a buzz, take calculated risks
    Escape the 9-5, See the countryside/wilds
    Social, have a beer and a laugh with my buddies

derek_starship
    Free Member

Initially to lose weight. Went from 18st to 14st in two years. Now do it to maintain fitness and it’s good for my mental health. Out and about in the woods is good.

tarquin
    Free Member

Something different to do that would keep me fit and get me out the house.

I ride like a bit of a mincer off road though, need one of those skills compensating bikes 😉 currently enjoying road riding and wearing lycra.

Dancake
    Free Member

I am fat. If I didn’t ride my bike, I would be really fat

and its fun, innit?

_tom_
    Free Member

Started riding to lose weight, now I road bike for exercise instead. MTB purely for fun as I just use mine like a big squishy bmx really.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Asked why he drove an Austin A35 van, James Hunt replied because he could be on the limit most of the time without doing more than 35mph.

I find it safer for similar exillaration (and much more accessible) than the offroad motorbiking I used to do.

That and instead of getting up a hill using the fitness of my right wrist (steady chaps) I now get the fitness benefit and satisfaction factor of using my own steam.

lister11
    Free Member

Money, fame and ladies. In that order.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I’m in it for the cake, the cycling is an unfortunate interruption as I travel between tea rooms.

donsimon
    Free Member

I like wearing lycra and cycling allows me to do this in public.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

For fun.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Mainly to maintain my sanity, especially after a bad day at work. A quick blast on the North Downs restores me somehow.

sambob
    Free Member

The buzz, the people and the places.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

For cardio fitness predominantly.

My eustation tubes are a bit narrow and my inners ears don’t vent too well, leading to tinnitus.

Cycling, and other exercise that makes me pant in the same way, like squash, helps. Running doesn’t, almost makes it worse.

mrmo
    Free Member

escape, everything else is secondary.

mogrim

I like getting covered in mud, and exotic bikini-clad wrestlers are in short supply around here.

yunki
    Free Member

for pleasure

randomjeremy
    Free Member

There is nothing I have tried in my life that gives the same buzz. Once you’ve ridden some great singletrack or a DH run, nothing comes close any more. Mountain Biking has ruined car racing and motocross for me, they can no longer compete!

transapp
    Free Member

Escape, away from work, wife and kids. Keeps me sane.
    The fact that I love it and would do it if I was unemployed, single and lidless is a huge bonus!

fairhurst
    Free Member

I thoroughly enjoy being out in this wonderful countryside of which the united kingdom boasts.
    The sights the smells,the nature,it is fantastic being outdoors and all whilst riding my bicycle utterly marvelous.

This brings so much happiness and joy into our lives,whilst maintaining a level of fitness which is acceptable.

long live cycling i say 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Makes my legs all lovely and shapely.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fitness, adventure, social side, escapism.

chives
    Free Member

Discovered push bikes again about 23 months ago, taking my (then) 20 month old son around the New Forest on the back of a BSO. Couldn’t believe how enjoyable it was, or understand how I’d managed to go so long without a bicycle. Subsequently gave up smoking shortly before my daughter arrived a few months later, and brought myself a hardtail. It’s kept me off the fags – if ‘er indoors asks why I’m fettling it, I just reply ‘well, I could be out smoking..’ – and I’m fitter now than I have been for years. I use it for work, for taking ‘is nibs round the forest and for racing. And I love it.

rOcKeTdOg

bravohotel9er – Member

I’m in it for the cake, the cycling is an unfortunate interruption as I travel between tea rooms.

+1

seanole
    Free Member

Fitness, pleasure, seeing things you would never see in a car.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I don’t these days really. Ride it occasionally when i fancy a change from the road bikes. CX in the winter.

Why do i ride bikes? For fun, and because i’ve been bike mad since i was a kid, now more than ever.

NewRetroTom

I bloody love it!
    Have done for the last 18 years since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Space
    Time
    Friends
    Views
    Fun
    Thrills
    Laughter
    Challenge
    Fitness
    Escape
    Beauty
    Nature
    and so much more.

carlosg
    Free Member

For fun.
    A bit of extra exercise.
    Get to see nice countryside/wildlife.
    Time with mates that doesn’t involve getting hammered down the pub.(not that a pint or 2 after a ride isn’t a good thing)
    Because since nearly being killed on a road bike I try to stay away from tarmac.

mboy
    Free Member

Was always interested in bikes as a kid. Got into Mountain Biking about 15/16 when I realised how much fun it was riding offroad properly. Still do it now at 31, cos it’s still fun riding offroad properly!

Other hobbies and interests have come and gone for various reasons, but MTBing has stayed largely because IMO it’s about as much fun as you can have (legally) with your clothes on! That and if I was still riding motorbikes, undoubtedly I’d have lost my license years ago…

emma82
    Free Member

I just like that it’s a joint thing with my husband. Spent ages thinking I wanted to go riding with cycle clubs or other people or other women but actually nope, just like it being our ‘thing’ really.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Err. Don’t know really.
    Have done for years.
    Done other stuff.
    Allways come back to bikes.
    Can’t get away 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

To feel the seasons change

badllama
    Free Member

I’ve just started this year at Christmas, played on my brothers now and again but bought my own after Christmas.

Reasons
    1) Save money on the trip to work now doing 70 miles a week on the bike. Vans left on the drive and saves me £15.00 a week on fuel

2) Get myself a bit fitter

3) For the buzz when I’m acutally riding then just Commuting

4) Girl friend works nights on Sundays so get me out of the house all day so I don’t wake her up 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

To lose weight and just to get outside. Would probably ride just as much on the road as off road if the roads were safer. Just like bikes like tinkering with them. Rode lots when younger on a road bike got persuaded to go out with the young un’s at work on there 3k full sussers. It’s amazing what you can see when you’re out on the bike.

colournoise

Same answer as I gave last time this was asked.

colournoise – Member

Because I can.

Because it makes me smile even when it hurts.

More serious navelgazing answer is very close to the ‘hippy’ ones. Less zen and more wei wu wei. I find the same thing in archery and painting/drawing.

I should probably add “Because in my head I’m still 12 and pretty much indestructible”

slainte 😀 rob

samcamsdad

It’s fun ain’t it! Never rode to get fit, that takes all the fun out of it! Now I’m married with kids, its also social, as its the only chance to see my mates! Still get a buzz riding now as I did 24 years ago when I first rode a mountain bike.

iridebikes
    Free Member

riding is my life. Its all I have ever wanted to do, at the cost of many other things, and will stay that way!

splashdown
    Free Member

Have we had for “sex ‘n’ drugs ‘n’ rock&roll” yet?

llama

Flow

Deveron53
    Free Member

It’s like flying low over the ground.
    I get fit without knowing the pain cos the technicality distracts my brain.
    I like the high-end fiddly technical gear like linkages and rebound rates.
    I like the buzz from surviving perceived danger (bit like rock climbing).
    You have to focus so hard on technical downhills that everything else in the world fades to a silent murmur.
    It’s not a team sport (rider and bike versus the terrain and weather).
    Nice scenery, few motor vehicles.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Why do you MTB?’ is closed to new replies.