Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Why do so many people drive about uninsured?
  • Joe

cheapest quote for a 20 year old, with 3 years driving, on a 1989 Civic 1.3; auto, no points, no dodgy area, no crashs….

…£2700

TPO

Bargain. Think i better walk…or…shall i?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

How much?? Surely you should be able to get the car, insurance, tax, MOT, new tyres and a year’s worth of petrol for that!!!!

You could buy a nice bike, for that.

Peter
    Free Member

Yup, and they’ll fine you as much as £300 if you get caught with no insurance….. I wonder why they do it?….. Hmmmmmmmm…..

Ashley
    Free Member

It will be expensive as in that category you are likely to claim more.

However – A quick tip here – check on some of the comparison websites – you will find in some cases Fully comprehensive is actually cheaper than TPO or TPFT. I just ran a quick quote through one of our systems for my son when he will turn 17 and it is 23% cheaper on comprehensive.

Also these comparison sites are good – but also go into an independent broker – they are much better at finding the great deals when you quotes are so high.

I hope this helps..

Ashley
    Free Member

Also – if you want to reduce your premiums – try taking the Pass Plus course or even the IAM one. Both may seem like a lot of hassle but really does help in reducing your premiums too.

muggomagic

get an older person to insure the car and make you a named driver. a lot of insurance companies will recognise no claims as a named driver in years to come and your policy will then be cheaper.

DrP

Or put your mum on the policy too (keep yourself as main driver)
    Reduced it for me it did!

DrP

rejoin
    Free Member

Also as most policing is now done by camera/computer if there is no join between you and the car you will never be prosecuted for driving offences.

Try hagglimg as well ie get a quote then say I can do better on internet – eg me, Direct Line 330 TPFT/legal ins/recovery – negotiate, 231 Fully comp/Legal ins/recovery.

solamanda
    Free Member

Is this your first car? Spend a while choosing what is cheapest to insure before buying and think outside the box. Older cars are rated by the number of claims of their drivers rather than their spec/performance. Older large cars usually driven by families/oaps can be as cheap or cheaper than 1L boxes to insure and buy.

ton

that sounds a lot.
    we have just insured our 17 yr old for a r reg micra.
    £998 fully comprehensive.

IanMunro
    Free Member

get an older person to insure the car and make you a named driver. a lot of insurance companies will recognise no claims as a named driver in years to come and your policy will then be cheaper.

And make sure no-one ever finds out that older person isn’t the prime driver, as you’ll find out your insurance is void 🙂

project
    Free Member

[/quote]get an older person to insure the car and make you a named driver. a lot of insurance companies will recognise no claims as a named driver in years to come and your policy will then be cheaper

This happened to someone i knew, they wrote the car off after a few weeks , there dad had paid for the car on HP, and guess what the occupants claimed for injuries/loss of personal items,as it landed in a field, the insurance paid out for them , but not for the damage to the car a write off, or removal of car and storage, quite a few thousand quid lost, and the dad had to keep makeing payment on the hp agreement, even though there was no car, and a seriously pissed off son with no car, who refused to pay anything,then when he save dup to buy another car his insurance was through the roof , because they classed it as fraud

miketually
    Free Member

get an older person to insure the car and make you a named driver

As others have said, this is fraud unless the other person genuinely is the main driver.

However, putting an older relative on as a named additional driver will often bring the cost down and is not illegal.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Why do so many people drive about uninsured?’ is closed to new replies.