Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Why do my tyres keep going down
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Hi all,

Currently using mavic cross trail UST rims and Schwalbe racing Ralph’s tubeless ready tyres and they keep losing pressure over night. Plenty of fluid in their and can pump them up to 60 psi but by the morning they will be down to roughly 20 psi. Why….

jam-bo

They are leaking.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Yea nice one,

jonny-m
    Free Member

Put new valves in and can’t find any leak in the sidewalls ?

shortcut

Fill something with water, put the wheel rim and tyre in. Find the leak. Position the wheel so fluid hits the leak, leave it like that. Hope it solves the problem!!

Tom83

When it happens to me, i just stick more sealant in, pump em up and go for a spin round the block, seems to work!

jonny-m
    Free Member

I’ve put plenty more fluid in, but still keeps going down, making me think I bought some dodgy or fake tyres, won’t say where I got em from but the were on offer…

Taff
    Free Member

Is it a new tyre? Does it have any moulding nipples left around the bead? Did you clean the rim before starting? Soapy water when pumping up initially? Sgaking wheel side to side to coat all around?

jonny-m
    Free Member

Not a new tyre, no soapy water , but sealed with a track pump first time, haven’t cleaned the rim though. To be honest reluctant to take the tyre full off in case they don’t seal too well again

Taff
    Free Member

Soapy water really helps to make sure the bead settles. Does it look like the bead is properly installed all the way around? If the rim is dirty then there could be a small bit of dirt preventing the bead settling. Fill your bath with some water and throw the wheel in to see if theres any obvious leaks. I’ve had this before and it’s been sortable by just turning the wheel and jut flicking it to spread the sealant

jonny-m
    Free Member

Ive done the shake n rotate thing with the wheel a couple of times, maybe I need to unseat the tyre from one side at a time and clean the rim the then check it in a bath full of water.
    What would you use to clean the rim off?

dantsw13

Did you pump up to 50 ish psi to get the beads to pop in? (audible pop).

Try removing the tyres, scrubbing the insides with soapy water.

When you put in the sealant, how are you shaking the wheel? Try holding it out in front of you horizontally. Then rotate it up and down vigorously. Turn the wheel by 1/8 and repeat. Do this 8 times until you have turned the wheel the whole way in your hands. I think this is referred to as the “shake and bake” method.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Hear an audible pop at about 30 psi. Doing the shake and bake too…

singlespeedstu

jam bo – Member

They are leaking.

In all seriousness he speaks the truth.
    Just pump them up and put them in a bath full of water.
    You’ll soon see where the leek is.
    Then just shosh the solution round where the leek is and it’ll eventualy seal up.

dantsw13

One trick left then!

How long has this been going on? My first set of x kings took about 5 days to seal properly.

Also, just because there is fluid, there may not be any latex particles left in it. Might be worth a top-up

MarkN
    Free Member

If you put the wheel on top of a bucket you can the dribble some water in to the valley between the tyre and the rim. Bubbles will show you where the leak is. Also if you wipe the tyre wall with a strong soapy solution on a rag I have found that this is good for finding leaky tyre walls.

Best way to check is to put the tyre and rim into water. If you have a tray for dipping pre pasted wallpaper in I have found them to be very good for this. The valve stem has been a usual leak point IME.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Been going on for about 3 weeks now. Think I’ll try the bath of water trick, if it proves to be the side walls whats the best thing to do? I’ll clean the rims too with something

MarkN
    Free Member

If it is leaking from the rim/bead then check the rim for damage and then give it a good clean. Lumps of old sealant etc can cause a problem. If it is coming from the tyre wall, I have found Panaracer tyres to be very porous, then you need to get some sealant in there. The Stans site has a great video on how to do this. http://www.notubes.com/helpcenter/videopopup.php?id=3

andyl
    Free Member

Are tubeless ready and UST tyres the same thing/compatible?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Why do my tyres keep going down’ is closed to new replies.