Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 179 total)
  • Why do mountain bikers carry backpacks?
  • schnullelieber
    Free Member

I use mine for carrying extra cake. So i can feed the trolls on route.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

What about these frame bags, like the Revelate ones. Are people that have these using them for normal rides to replace a camelback?

ziggy
    Free Member

Camelbak for me too, why would I spend £3k on a bike just to weigh it down with crap?

I can easily empty 3 ltires of water when out for 3 hours, couldn’t get all that on a bike. I only carry spare tube, park patches, couple of energy bars, Co2 plus pump, a tenner, phone, powerlnks and a whistle (you never know).

martinxyz
    Free Member

Handy for big rides but rides from the house i take a phone,a set of allen keys and the music player.I think ive had 2 punctures in the last 6 years.Most of that has been tubeless mind you.On cold days i like my clothing to be working well too.The camelbak restricts how the layers work. Last nights ride i returned home warm and dry.Very comfortable. The same layering used with a backpack leaves me returning home damp in places.

toab
    Free Member

Some of us don’t have proper cycling jerseys with big pockets. All my bits live in my little camelback, which is good cos you can just fill up the water and go without digging about for pumps and tubes and jelly beans etc.

andy7t2
    Free Member

Pure fashion. Its a part of the “uniform”

I very rarely carry one. You don’t need 3 l of water, you don’t need a rucksac full of stuff

your full of crap

Scamper
    Free Member

As we are more rad than gutter bunnies we need more stuff. 😀

epicyclo

I suppose it is not necessary if you’re doing roundy roundy stuff at a trail centre.

If you are venturing into actual mountain riding, then being able to fix your bike or yourself is important, thus a first aid kit and basic tools. Then there’s the possibility of being snowed in, so food, fluids and clothing for a possible overnight. Not to mention navigation stuff like maps and compass. Oh, and a phone so you can ring and say you don’t need rescuing. (My wife knows not to panic until 1 day overdue – can walk out of anywhere in UK in that time)

I suppose you could leave all that stuff at home and just carry the phone in your jersey to summon the aerial taxi when something goes wrong.

_tom_
    Free Member

Carrying a proper camera is a lot safer in a backpack.

I also get through a lot of water, it would require a fair few bottles. I only took 1l out with me in the week and woke up the next day feeling like shite due to dehydration – headache, nausea etc. Seem to sweat a lot on a mtb ride, but maybe this is due to the backpack!

teagirl
    Free Member

‘Cos I’m very slow and have to pack emergency rations potentially for overnight. Cake etc…. Wouldn’t all fit in a pocket.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hmmm.

Water/fluid – I’ve yet to find a bottle/cage system that simultaneously gives as good access to your drink yet holds it so securely. Before I switched to a camelbak, I always had trouble with bottles rattling and bouncing out of cages, and strapping them securely was a pain for a quick swig.

3l? Its reckoned that if you’re giving it the beans, you use a litre of water per hour. so that gives an effective ride of three hours if you allow water consumption to dictate your ride length. I’m a sweaty get and in the summer, I do use about a litre an hour. Carrying 3 litres in bottle is quite difficult and a pain. I also tend to carry more water on the MTB, since most of the time I can’t just stop at a newsagent and get some extra given the more remote nature of mtbing.

So, once you’ve made the switch to a backpack to carry your water it only seems logical to put your tools and food in there too. Does it not?

Granted, there are loads of folk I see with maahoosive backpacks, but they might only have the one for carrying water and have virtually nothing else in it.

loddrik
    Free Member

Couldn’t think of anything worse than loading your pockets up with stuff when out riding.

Coyote
    Free Member

It’s easy, that’s why. Everything is in it permanently so when I go out for a ride, backpack goes on and off I go. Can’t be arsed stuffing pockets and lashing stuff onto the bike.

Anyway, wtf is TJ doing back. I thought he had flounced off forever to lick his wounds. Good to see his spell in the wilderness has allowed him to come back with an open mind and a willingness to take on board others opinions.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Whatever people feel comfortable with or uncomfortable without. I guess if you’re out for a quick bimble round some locally well used woods, a few bits in pockets is fine.

Even my local rides take me minimum 20 mins walk from the nearest road, and I like to stay healthy by keeping up my fluid intake so I never go for a ride with less than:
    1l of water per hour (no space for water bottle on frame)
    Pump
    2 tubes (my mates never seem to carry any)
    Multitool
    Riding glasses
    Phone
    Trail food – dried bananas and apricots
    Chain links
    Mech hanger
    Headtorch, hat, gloves

Definitely don’t need to take the last few items on every ride, but like others said it’s just easy to pick up your pack knowing everything is there. If you’re going to carry a pack, might as well keep the extra bits in there for the minimal extra weight.

Another big plus for wearing a pack is that if come off anywhere rocky they give you a lot of extra protection

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’d throw up If I drank 1 lire of water an hour, some of you also seem to carry a small buffet with you as well.

ahwiles
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

“if i stop for a wee, if i’ve got my backpack on i can easily give my hands a quick wash”

have you tried not weeing on your hands?

absolutely yes.

but a quick simple rinse is a common courtesy.

a polite break in the chain of contact from my sweaty nob, the shared trail-side malt-loaf, and my friends mouth.

you mucky pup you.

😀

Northwind

What it’s about, for me, is choice. Backpack means you can carry an extra layer or waterproof, or a change of gloves or stash a layer if it gets hotter. Not needed but helps keep things comfortable. You can carry more water than you usually need which means you’ll never run out- which is handy when one of your mates loses a bottle on a rough bit or just didn’t have enough in the first place- pretty common.

You can carry spares you probably won’t need but you’ll appreciate it if you do, or a big pump that’ll inflate your tyre far faster and easier than a little toy. You can carry a choice of food… Will I have the rice crispies squares or the cinnamon oaty bar things? Or some haribo? Or this banana?

Oh and you can strap other crap to it- camera on the right side, sunglasses on the left, watch on the upper left strap. Elbow pads on the back on a long climb. And yet fully loaded it’s still more comfortable than a back pocket with stuff in it.

Also, when we were off in Luchon, I remember going through 3 full bladders on one ride, never seen a mountain bike carrying 4 bottles conveniently.

Dancake – Member

“Its the old argument that you need some kind of MTB cycling proficiancy test before you are allowed to upgrade from a carerra…”

Oooh you had it lucky, my dad made me pass the cycling proficiency test before he’d let me upgrade to a carrera.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Currently I’m riding with a bottle and pump on the frame, a small saddle bag with multitool, tube, lever, sram powerlinks and those pre-glued patches – these are for local rides of up to 2.5-3hours. If though I’m going out into the cheviots I’ll probably take a smallish backpack, mainly so I can a stash a jacket if I need to. To be honest I prefer not wearing a backpack.

Mind you when I wear a backpack I don’t take much more kit; a compass and bodybag, both small. I do wonder what some people carry, they look blooming heavy.

I don’t think roadies don’t wear a backpack because of fashion, the riding position can mean that the pack falls forward onto your neck, well it did when I tried it. Bit like not wearing a helmet with a peak as it gets in the way of your view, well it did when I tried it.

convert

I’d throw up If I drank 1 lire of water an hour, some of you also seem to carry a small buffet with you as well.

I was handed up 16 bottles in and Ironman race bike leg (112miles) once – but it was 35Deg C and I was wearing a silly hot pointy aero hat and some of it went down my back and under my helmet – maybe 10-12 bottles in my gob. Still ended the race 20lbs lighter, on a drip and having an adrenaline injection I was in such a mess. I guess it’s about the amount going in vs the amount coming out.

absolutely yes.

but a quick simple rinse is a common courtesy.

a polite break in the chain of contact from my sweaty nob, the shared trail-side malt-loaf, and my friends mouth.

you mucky pup you.

With your sensitivites you probably would not want to experience the toilet habits at the front end of triathlon 🙂 There is something wonderfully primal about just standing up on a gentle descent and pissing yourself!

For me the biggest difference between MTB and road riders is often intent. MTBers tend to be (how shall I say this) slightly older and more comfortably built with a mindset of having a nice day away from the kids. A lot of roadies are event orientated and are training for something – whilst the ride might be pleasurable often the primary purpose is one of training. Consequently they would not dream of stopping and ride to a more consistant effort level which means that carrying extra layers for a stop or a “relaxed” section is not an issue. They are also often working much harder and as long as they are warm (from their own energy expenditure) don’t care too much about being dry. Food will be well thought out and compact. The route will hopefully be pleasant but has often been ridden a thousand time previously and therefore taking photos is less of an issue. Roadies bikes don’t take the same hits and are often far more fastidiously looked after.

I have to also admit there is a bit of an arms race in most roadie groups – if your mates have faster kit than you and you are having to work harder to keep up you are going to be made to suffer at the end. In my prime I have to say I was a bit of an inverse gear snob and often road shonky looking kit with my commute pannier still attached just to get a rise from the others. Nowt better than besting someone to the top of a climb with a pannier slapping about next to their carbon best bike. You have to be very confident in your ability or you will be found out very quickly!

jeb

Best rearmounted AIRBAG, when you go sprawling over the bars 😆

andyl
    Free Member

I can manage the basics on my merlin with a saddle bag and 2 bottles on the frame but I too feel naked and unprotected without a back pack. When doing proper riding I will always wear one just in case I land on my back I like the idea of the padding and the camelbak bladder protecting my back.

It is also handy to make sure you don’t leave anything and as mountain biking to me is about getting out and into the scenery I like to take a small camera.

One of my biggest reasons I have to take the backpack when sometimes I may not need to is the dog. I have to take enough water for the both of us and snacks for her. 2 800ml bottles (all that fits in my old frame) are not enough for both of us and if out for a long day I prefer to take her fold up water bowl so she can have a relaxing drink and of course she needs snacks just as much as I do.

steveh

I can’t run a saddle bag on my fs bike as with the saddle down the tyre would mash it. I don’t like carrying things in my pockets as it pulls the jersey down/makes it feel odd. I also carry more stuff and drink more fluid than I can carry easily on the bike. Without mentioning that I have several bikes and don’t want to have to swap the bits over all the time.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

One of my biggest reasons I have to take the backpack when sometimes I may not need to is the dog

And of course plastic bags for scooping poop…

clareymorris

Because we ride all day on stuff like this…..

Often in weather like this

or this

So we need stuff.
    Simple.

MisterT

Water. Simple realy. On road i carry 2 bottles and offroad i carry 2 ltr on my back

its all about water.

gamo
    Free Member

I dont like wearing one as i always get a sore back when i do, but for longer rides they do serve a purpose so i put up with it!

BoardinBob

TandemJeremy – Member
    Pure fashion. Its a part of the “uniform”
    I very rarely carry one. You don’t need 3 l of water, you don’t need a rucksac full of stuff.

How do you know what anyone else needs you boring, sanctimonious, tiresome old man?

Do us a favour and flounce off again

atlaz
    Free Member

TJ in sweeping generalisation and gobshite shocker. Everyone gets to choose what they ride with. I consider the saddlebags, frame mounts and loads of crap in jerseys a pain and would prefer to shove it all in a bag. Given not once has the water lept out of my bag, parts fallen out etc but I’ve had friends who’ve lost stuff off their frames or out of their pockets, I’m happy. Likewise, I don’t sit around muttering about how stupid people who don’t do it my way are.

For some reason I didn’t think I was participating in an activity where orthodoxy and conformity was compulsory. Apparently I was wrong.

Duggan

Couldn’t think of anything worse than loading your pockets up with stuff when out riding.

This for me too. I just wear and old football training top when I’m out so don’t have jersey pockets or anything. Even if I did I would hate to have bulging pockets stuffed full of crap.

Ditto for strapping it to the bike- I really, really can’t bear the thought of mounting a pump to the frame or even having a saddlebag. It’s clearly just personal preference, I’m sure we all agree that some things at least, are essential. It’s pretty laughable that some seem to think there’s a ‘right’ and a ‘wrong’ way to carry the same stuff.

crikey
    Free Member

For some reason I didn’t think I was participating in an activity where orthodoxy and conformity was what we pretend we’re not doing, but actually the convergence of opinion regarding what to wear and what to carry suggests that we are as bad as every other sports fraternity out there

FIFY

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What a bunch of sanctimonious pricks

For some reason I didn’t think I was participating in an activity where orthodoxy and conformity was compulsory. Apparently I was wrong.

No you are right. Dare to question the orthodoxy (as I did) that you have to pretend you are in the wilds and need a full survival kit to go and play on your bike for a couple of hours and yo don’t half get slated. I am not the only one on this thread to say a rucsac is not an essential piece of kit.

🙄

Read Crickys comments on the other thread for why you don’t NEED 3l of water.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Pot to kettle, come in kettle..

Not saying your a pr1ck TJ but you can’t half be one hell of a sanctimonious so & so..

bikerbruce
    Free Member

guys,if you wana take a pack take one.Its about what you want to get out of it….personally;i have my bikes set up so i dont need any of the following: shock pump.why? i mean check before you go….
    Spare pads….again look after your bike and it will look after you.
    More than 3 tubes,ride tubeless with stans.
    they annoy me on mechanic terms.
    Its baisic principle to fully check your bike over before a ride,or usually in my case after so its sorted for next time.I learnt it slowly from experience at a young age riding by myself that mum cant always pick you up if something goes wrong.
    I alway have a quick release saddle bag containing;
    trail tool,with ten things on so not mega bike.
    Chain tool.Snapped chains arent cool….
    1 pedros tyre lever….my thumbs are steel after glueing tubs from the age of 10.
    One tube.
    one slime patch for said tube.
    And a little plastic bag to fit a rolled up 10 pound note and 4 twenty pences in.
    Then trial pump in pocket and your sorted.
    2 Bottle cages on the bike on the road bike and 1 on the mtb and other bottle in the middle jersey pocket.Then paclite gillet with my phone rolled in and 2 bars 2 gels and a mars and banana in the other pocket .
    That does you on rides up to 2 hr45 hrs over that same amount of food but extra bottle in jersey if on the road and if not extra tenner to buy drink on the ride.
    Sorted.98% of rides covered….oh yeah and if you think you will lose your bottles.Get some tub glue and dot it on the arms of the cage it goes tacky forever and you never lose them on anything.
    If you say….well thats pointless puting in on a light bike
    thats the point.My bike weights 17.9lbs with 2×10 pedals 2.2in rubber the lot so 24lbs all in water the lot aint bad.
    and a big morning poo ,sorted

Coyote
    Free Member

Dare to question the orthodoxy (as I did) that you have to pretend you are in the wilds and need a full survival kit to go and play on your bike for a couple of hours and yo don’t half get slated.

If you bothered reading the posts you would notice that for many people it is a matter of convenience. Multi tool, tubes, puncture repair stuff plus a couple of bits and pieces permanently live in a Hydrapak. If I’m going out, everything’s ready. No messing about, pack on and out the door. What is the problem? Apart from the obvious fact that, according to you, I am a fashion victim playing survival games. You really are incapable of seeing another point of view other than your own.

Pot meet kettle.

ac282

Stuff in pockets works fine as long as you have a tight fitting roadie style jersey. If it is baggie it just doesn’t work and everything just bounces up and down/out.

I use a bag when I’m going into proper hills in winter so that I can carry spare clothes/bivi bag etc.

Summer rides/trail centres I get on fine with bottles.

jimjam
    Free Member

It’s easy to drink 1L of water an hour, you piss a lot but it’s probably healthier than being dehydrated. If I’m going out for a quick spin I’ll take as little as possible – a phone and keys maybe. I still wonder what part of my body I’d most prefer to have my keys stuck should I crash into and usually settle for arse.

On longer rides I’ll take a pack containing a bladder, tube, pump, tyre levers, multi tools, a snack and maybe another layer. Crap that I’ll need if something brakes. On building days an even bigger pack might include a hatchet, saw, more layers and a few beers.

Having stuff rattling around the bike is just nasty. Bottles fall out on all but the smoothest trails, the cages get mangled and mess the frame when you crash……things become the norm, or ‘orthodoxy’ when things are found to work better than other things.

Are we all sheep for running hydraulic disk brakes or suspension forks? (wierdos and mincers excluded of course).

atlaz
    Free Member

No you are right. Dare to question the orthodoxy (as I did) that you have to pretend you are in the wilds and need a full survival kit to go and play on your bike for a couple of hours and yo don’t half get slated. I am not the only one on this thread to say a rucsac is not an essential piece of kit.

You didn’t question anything, you made a statement inferring that your preferred method was right. It may be right for you but that is your choice. I don’t care how people carry their water and kit, you seem to care about how people carry theirs for some reason.

Nice one with the name calling. It lends a certain level of intellectual superiority to your argument. The full stop to the Plato-like debate you brought to bear in this, the agora of the mountain biking fraternity.

spacemonkey

3 litres of water? How long are you going out for? 6 hours+ it makes sense – assuming there are no sources to refil from.

Eh? I can easily put away 0.75l/hour in winter, and well over 1l/hour in summer. Anything less isn’t an option. Plenty of sound advice out there to advocate min 1l/hour in hot conditions. Having said that, I know people that get barely halfway through a 750ml bottle on a summer ride – weird IMO.

Then again, I don’t fanny about on trails like some people do – I prefer to get a move on. And would much rather be hydrated as I do so.

RustySpanner

Can we not have a sensible discussion without descending into pathetic, childish insults and a refusal to accept that we’re all different and prefer different things?

Actually, thinking about it and looking back over the time I’ve been on here, no we can’t.

Humanity – too many basic design flaws.

Coyote
    Free Member

Can we not have a sensible, discussion without descending into pathetic, childish insults and a refusal to accept that we’re all different and prefer different things?

Some of us can, yes. Others sadly cannot.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘Why do mountain bikers carry backpacks?’ is closed to new replies.