Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • why do farmers cut thorn hedges?
  • Fantombiker

Here in Derbyshire, about this time of year the landowners/farmers cut back hedgerows leaving thorns and debris all over paths and roads. Why do they do this? its not for road visibility since they do it on bridleways, and I am not so sure its for the good of wildlife and it must cost them?

nbt

becasue if they don’t cut the hedges, there won’t be any paths – hedges grow, and the best time to cut them is when they are dormant

patentlywill
    Free Member

They’re sponsored by Stans Notubes?

wwaswas

there’s not much wildlife nesting in the hedges at this time of year, they’re cutting back last years growth, there’s not much happening on the farm at this time of year so they have spare time, they have a statutory duty to keep hedges trimmed & tubeless tyres really work under these circumstances.

Stoner
    Free Member

If they dont do it hedgerows become overgrown very quickly. Most headgerows arent just hawthorn, but a mix of alder, hawthorn, beech, hornbeam etc. Cutting back encourages new growth and strengthens the core of the hedge improving its stock-holding capability.

It has negligible effect on wildlife, its not done in nesting seasons and without it hedgerows would become an inconvenience such that theyd get grubbed up and then youd really be losing a habitat.

Stoner (ex PT farm hedge cutter)

hammerite
    Free Member

Yep they have to keep the paths and bridleways accessible.

I had three punctures on Thursday night which was annoying (perhaps I should go tubeless).

yunki
    Free Member

cos it turns them on and makes them feel fabulous baby.. 8)

Markie
    Free Member

Running with our baby buggy last year, Mrs Markie picked up 14 punctures (across three tires) in one outing. Replaced the tubes with Dr Sludge slime filled tubes, no deflation from then on – took one out to have a look not that long ago and it 23 automatically gunk sealed holes… fantastic!

aracer
    Free Member

They do it because they like cyclists getting punctures. Only reason.

Jolsa

What tubeless tyres?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Makes it better for the local hunts as well.

*Blue touch paper lit, retires to a safe distance*

ourmaninthenorth

One of the farmers near me cuts the hedges, then re-drives his route with a blower to, er, blow all the debris back onto the verge.

He does it cos he thinks bicyclists iz OSSUM

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Hucking fate hawthorn.

Barsteward.

elzorillo
    Free Member

About a dozen of us were out one evening.. guy at the front shouts something.. By the time we got to him every single one of us had punctures.. oh how we laughed 8)

Hawthorn !

joao3v16
    Free Member

I expect farmers cut all types of hedges.

It’s unlikely they specifically single out thorn hedges just to be annoying 🙂

I’ve also seen thorn hedges being cut by non-farmers, sometimes even home-owners.

I’m starting to think that there’s actually no specific hedge cutting accountability.

wwaswas

there’s actually no specific hedge cutting accountability

This is an outrage!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘why do farmers cut thorn hedges?’ is closed to new replies.