• This topic has 58 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by st.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Why do DHers wear such appalling trousers?
  • jhw
    Free Member

I think it’s basically impossible to look good in trousers on a bike. Shorts, always!

Exhibit A for the Prosecution:

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The same reason roadies do?

LapSteel
    Free Member

They scare the rocks away

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s a motocross thing.

Just be glad we’re not in the 80s anymore. Fluorescent pink was in.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Trousers do make a sense if:

a) You’re likely to come a cropper.

b) You’re not pedalling for any real duration.

Why they have to look minging is anybodies guess although i imagine it’s to do with your sponsor standing out and being seen.

boxfish
    Free Member

Skidmark camouflage

peachos
    Free Member

It’s a motocross thing.

Just be glad we’re not in the 80s anymore. Fluorescent pink was in.

eh????

TheBrick
    Free Member

i imagine it’s to do with your sponsor standing out and being seen.

I expect that’s the truth. The real question is why people who are not sponsored choose to ride around with massive logos all over their clothes.

5thElefant
    Free Member

eh????

Crap. It’s back 😯

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

They’re all fat so they pick up the dirt cheap XXLs that nobody else wants in the sale.

chakaping
    Free Member

Standing out and being seen you say?

Adam Brayton should be the most-noticed rider on the WC circuit then…

Not my cup of tea, but he seems to love it if you read his blog.

jhw
    Free Member

So many fashion crimes above!!!

I think it’s not the colours so much as the cut. Pink is cool. It’s the cut. Tapered trousers and cuffed trousers just look wrong on bikes. They’re supposed to tuck into a motocross boot – it just doesn’t work with regular shoes.

Shorts and pads look much better. If it’s cold tights under the shorts are acceptable.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The real question is why people who are not sponsored choose to ride around with massive logos all over their cloths.

One of life’s great mysteries along with “Does anyone that shops in JJB sports participate in any sport?”

RealMan
    Free Member

They stop you getting scratched by stuff, and stop you getting muddy, so you can just stick a clean pair on for your race run and not have to clean your legs. Also any wounds will be kept clean.

jhw
    Free Member

So why not shorts and tights (which look alright)?

Hate hate hate that our sport is always trying to be MX.

Also that pink rider looks liable to have shoelace issues!

grum
    Free Member

Should wear these

duntstick
    Free Member

To cover up the fact that they’ve used their road bike for training and couldn’t resist the silky shaven look. 8)

jhw
    Free Member

Like they did BITD, Matt Farmer for Raleigh etc.?

In all seriousness, it bugs me that our sport doesn’t have a unique identity in terms of apparel. Snowboarders, skiers, Mxers all do. We just wear MX kit and it looks wrong/stupid. Shorts pads and where necessary tights is more uniquely DH MTB. And looks cooler.

RealMan
    Free Member

it bugs me that our sport doesn’t have a unique identity in terms of apparel.

Your life must be awesome.

grum
    Free Member

In all seriousness, it bugs me that our sport doesn’t have a unique identity in terms of apparel.

Keeps me awake at night too.

thomthumb
    Free Member

is the leg armour rule still that you must wear shorts and pads or trousers?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Does anybody actually think they look good wearing any cycling specific clothing?

I’ve always thought that everyone looks a bit of a berk, and I am including myself in that. But that’s the price you pay to be comfortable. I mean tights are ridiculous (I have 5 pairs) but it’s the price you pay if you want to ride any distance and keep warm during the winter.

AnaNichoola
    Free Member
    jhw
    Free Member

If they still did “Your Shout” on ITV before Home and Away, this would be my submission.

By shorts I mean baggy shorts!!

clubber
    Free Member

In all seriousness, it bugs me that our sport doesn’t have a unique identity in terms of apparel.

We used to. It was all stupid fluoro tops/leggings, mushroom helmets, beenbag tops, bula hats and so on. I think we’re better off being mx wannabes than that…

juan
    Free Member

hey nice to see you here anna :d

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

People who aren’t sponsored want to be. Hence being seen obviously in a brands clothing. Simples innit

AnaNichoola
    Free Member

haha, I hate the DH look so much it actually makes me angry!!! 😕

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I didn’t realise it until just know but I am absolutely bloody fuming. Damn you downhill trousers, when will you stop.

clubber
    Free Member

I hate people who get angry about trivial things so much it actually makes me angry 😕

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I hate people who get angry about trivial things so much it actually makes me angry

Jesus.H.Christ, don’t even get me started on those people!!!!!

jhw
    Free Member

By contrast – this looks cool –

AND ANOTHER THING:

Why is everyone now wearing pads that don’t cover your shins, when everyone knows the main purpose of pads is to protect your shins from pedal strikes e.g.

lunge

I think we do have an identity actually. I would say the large majority (cue the STW members stating this is not the case) of “trail riders” wear baggy shorts, baggy ish tops made of a technical fabric, full finger gloves and helmet with a peak. This is certainly different from road riders, DHers and BMXers.

chakaping
    Free Member

everyone knows the main purpose of pads is to protect your shins from pedal strikes

I thought I wore them to protect my knees from sharp pointy rocks, you learn something new every day eh?

+1 lunge re. the “MBR look” as I think of it.

wwaswas

everyone knows the main purpose of pads is to protect your shins from pedal strikes

depends if you ride clipped in or not – and as above – I use knee pads to protect my knees from the ground, not pedals.

jhw
    Free Member

would say the large majority (cue the STW members stating this is not the case) of “trail riders” wear baggy shorts, baggy ish tops made of a technical fabric, full finger gloves and helmet with a peak.

True. Not really reflected at the race track though!

Lifer
    Free Member

depends if you ride clipped in or not – and as above – I use knee pads to protect my knees from the ground, not pedals.

+1 and I find shin/knee pads really restrictive compared to knee only, and only slipped pedals doing trials.

jhw
    Free Member

It’s a national disgrace!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Why is everyone now wearing pads that don’t cover your shins, when everyone knows the main purpose of pads is to protect your shins from pedal strikes

Because in 5 years of racing DH I can’t actually recall ever having a shin/pedal interface? Plenty of calf rakers though?

As to why I wear trousers for DH, only when it’s minging. They also provide a surprising amount of protection. Mind you I only wear the plain black Troy Lee ones.

AnaNichoola – i’m not sure Jimmy & Giles have got your hotpant message, the last few races I have done there have been no hotpants on show 😉

AnaNichoola
    Free Member

dammit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Why do DHers wear such appalling trousers?’ is closed to new replies.