Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Why are bike socks so short?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

D’you know, I’ve never really wondered why until now!

Anyone know?

mrsflash
    Free Member

depends how old you are, the older you are, the longer your socks get it would seem.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Tan lines minimised.

J0N
    Free Member

Shorts and long sock looks ridiculous! 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Tell that to footballers!

aP
    Free Member

Short so that you DON’T look like Lance

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was wondering this the other day.

Decided the answer was………

Weight weenie roadies?

Big socks tend to fall down more, whereas the elastic on short socks sits on the narrowest part of the leg?

Just big enough to slap a logo on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was wondering this the other day.

Decided the answer was………

Weight weenie roadies?

Big socks tend to fall down more, whereas the elastic on short socks sits on the narrowest part of the leg?

Just big enough to slap a logo on.

trailmonkey

Where’s the pic of that bloke on one of the STW mega herd rides ( Purbecks ? ) who had long socks which made him look like Toad of Toad Hall ?
    I think therein lies the answer to the good Captain’s question.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Get some DeFeet Aereator High Tops. Nice and long. Look much better than those naff trainer style ankle socks

zaskar
    Free Member

Maybe as the average cyclist is tiny?

For summer you’d want them short for just comfy shoe fit and wicking.

Winter-well you wear leggings or bibs etc. Long socks get in the way.

ourmaninthenorth

“Trainer” style socks for me. Becase I like to extend the tan line as far as I can. No gloves on the road for the same reason.

I did see a chap with Paula Radcliffe style compression socks up to his knees at the start of the Dartmoor Classic sportive on Sunday.

There’s also a guy who’s ridden with my (road) club before wearing impressively short retro shorts and football socks bunched round his ankles. Eccentric, but I like his style, and he’s a strong rider, so he gets away with it.

andywhit
    Free Member

Where’s Mr Poddy when you want him! 😉

belgianbob

Ourmaninthenorh,
    I saw several compression sock wearers at the Dartmoor Classic.
    Shame they were mostly old gits and young lads, as a lassie with nice legs and white knee socks can be quite a distraction for me…

Hmmm *wanders off*

AndyP
    Free Member

bike socks
    what, like Porelle Drys?
    Surely nobody wears socks on a bike unless it’s really bloody cold, do they?

belgianbob

Can anyone sort this one out for me:
    When I was a kid I did road time trials, and under the RTTC rules you had to wear white ankle socks. Anyone caught without socks could be disqualified, so some of the lads used to use tennis shoe whitener to paint their ankles (not wishing to lug 20 grammes of unnecessary sock around with them).
    Is this still in the RTTC rulebook?

AndyP
    Free Member

Certainly never wear socks when I’m testing and not been picked up for it…
    Mind you most people wear oversocks now so you’d be hard pushed to see if anyone was wearing them or not.

Onzadog
    Free Member

see, I was thinking the opposite, why is it that the riders in mountain bike action always wear such long silly looking socks.

DezB
    Free Member

No socks? yeugh clammy!

ourmaninthenorth

Shame they were mostly old gits and young lads, as a lassie with nice legs and white knee socks can be quite a distraction for me…

I was too busy dawdling along with a pal having a chat to notice other sock wearers. Nice day out, though.

Mind you most people wear oversocks now so you’d be hard pushed to see if anyone was wearing them or not.

I rather like the knitted oversocks one sees in Belgium. Must get me some of those.

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

Sealskinz do long ‘uns, but the ankle is weirdly shaped

belgianbob

Yep, a nice day out for sure.
    Wasn’t too keen on the rain or the sight of the air ambulance for the poor sod who offed on a wet cattle grid past Warren House though.

BoardinBob
    piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sometimes bad

(and what’s with the knob clutching???)

Sometimes good

Ahhhh, that’ll explain the knob clutching

belgianbob

Mmm… sometimes very good.
    I’m with you on the subject of knob-clutching though: WTF?

druidh
    Free Member

Socks are good for wicking away sweat from the feet.

For the wicking to work, they need to have a decent bit of sock exposed to the passing airflow.. Hence “trainer” socks are useless.

A longer sock would be too warm for most rides.

Therefore – short socks are form following function.

AndyP
    Free Member

For the wicking to work, they need to have a decent bit of sock exposed to the passing airflow.. Hence “trainer” socks are useless.
    yes. there’s no airflow in the shoes themselves, no siree. No ventilation, no airflow channels in the soles, nothing. I take it you’ve never even seen a pair of bike shoes?!

druidh
    Free Member

No mate. You’re obviously right 🙄

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Why are bike socks so short?’ is closed to new replies.