Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • why am i getting ill so much!?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Vit C worked for me so I’m sticking to it

this is how primitive religions work 🙁
    of course, there ARE no advanced ones…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bushwhacked – you did not have flu. Factamundo. You had manflu / viral infection. Flu is a serious illness that debilitates you for weeks

I think a huge metastudy by respected scientists is as near to proof as you can get.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

“Flu is a serious illness that debilitates you for weeks”

thats not what it says on the nhs website. nor wikipedia. there are different types too. and i thought flu WAS a viral infection.

my symptoms were similar to bushwacked: completely wiped out for 3 days and could barely get out of bed, then drained of energy for the next 2 weeks.

i’m pretty sure this is whats called “flu”. from here:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Flu/Pages/Introduction.aspx?url=Pages/What-is-it.aspx
    “you should begin to feel much better within five to eight days”

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flu is a viral infection of course. There is only usually one or two prevalent types each year but there are many many variations.

There are also many “flu like viruses” which would be my guess as to what you had as the symptoms you describe do not seem severe enough to be actual flu.

Of course everyone reacts differently to illness and diagnosis from internet descriptions is highly inaccurate.

“my symptoms were similar to bushwacked: completely wiped out for 3 days and could barely get out of bed, then drained of energy for the next 2 weeks.”

sound s like a severe cold to me – not flu.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Considering the Doctor diagnosed it as Flu then I’d go with his opinion rather than your “jump to conclusion” diagnosis but thanks anyway Dr TJ.

Anyway – I was explaining the benefit of Vit C when used on myself not debating what I had…

jojoA1
    Free Member

Thanks for your clarification Jeremy. 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Vit C worked for me so I’m sticking to it

I was unconvinced but now that I’ve seen actual anecdotal evidence I’m off to Boots to buy a barrow load of vitamin C.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bushwhacked – I am a nurse not a doctor.

In 30 yrs in healthcare I have never had flu, never seen anyone get it and don’t know anyone who has.

Loads of folk claim to have flu but very few have had it.

perhaps you did and your constitution allowed you to recover very quickly.

There is no real diagnostic test anyway for it – its a balance of probabilities after history diagnosis.

MisterT

going back to a bit of route cause analysis, the original post asked why do they suffer more frequent bouts of sickness, and I’d guess that it will relate to the intensity of the exercise you undertake. you say you commute 20mins each way. I wonder if you are taking these 20mins at a relaxed pace (<80% max HR) or at a harder pace (>80% max HR) – and if the latter, then you will find your immune system is being suppressed due to frequent high physical efforts, without a good level of endurance/base workouts that help your body become prepared for the hard efforts.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

“I am a nurse”

– Cue loads of “Meet the Parents” jokes…. 😀

Only messing – Not sure which health professional to believe then but anyway – as MisterT says perhaps doing too much is the root cause and the link I posted was very useful.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I like the TJ wiki facts tag – the thing is those reference I quoted are all respectable scientific publications – peer reviewed and so on I think.

fbk
    Free Member

Oh god – I’m actually finding myself agreeing with TJ. Is this an illness? Is there a link to a website I can check please?

Flu = rare – GPs are as bad as anyone for telling you you’ve got “flu” when you’ve got a bad cold. Makes people feel better about how crap they feel
    Vit C = waste of time assuming you have a relatively healthy diet (doesn’t stop me eating more oranges when I feel a cold coming on though)

As for manflu – this completely different and VERY serious ;o)

colnagokid

does lager have vit c in it? ❓

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes, if you put a slice of lemon in it!

Healthy and nutritious!

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘why am i getting ill so much!?’ is closed to new replies.