Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 281 total)
  • Who still hates the Olympics?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

You can if you want. But honestly, isn’t this great? Stay schtum if you want, but if you did want to admit that maybe the games aren’t a total waste of money then this is your opportunity.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m pretty impressed that team GB are trying to win back all our gold reserves that Gordon Brown sold off!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It’s been absolutely brilliant.
    So many heroes and role models in so many disciplines.

Except the football.

cinnamon_girl

*Holds up hand*. I stand by my original thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-not-watching-any-olympics

I have not watched any.

Bregante

I wonder if chewkw is going to show up?

chewkw – Member
    Sport and medals: They will fall very short of their targets because they are all being hyped up recently. Normally, they are only good at one or two events consistently.

brakes
    Free Member

if you’re not watching it, you’re really missing out.
    it is a positive world event.
    and they don’t come by that often.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I was pretty sceptical about the whole thing, but having spent 2 days watching on the big screens at the Olympic Park I can say it really has been a great event.
    Sure the ticketing has been a bit of a lottery, and the hype has been a bit OTT but the “coming together” of different generations, cultures and nationalities has been really fun to experience.
    Get down to your local screen or brave the big bad city and join the party 😀

rmacattack
    Free Member

It’s been good apart from balding and much of the commentary. As much as I appreciated people cheering team gb there’s too much chat and commentary about them you’d think no one else is taking part.

Hohum
    Free Member

I have not watched any of it.

I don’t hate it though. Just have other things to do.

Drac

I was indifferent about it leading up to it as not a great spectator of sport, I’ve been loving it. Not sure if it’s because we’re doing well or because it’s in our own capital but thoroughly enjoying it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s been good apart from balding and much of the commentary. As much as I appreciated people cheering team gb there’s too much chat and commentary about them you’d think no one else is taking part.

You should try some of the the other countries.

Events mostly only go on main TV when the locals are on.

rOcKeTdOg

if i had a £1 for everytime an athlete or pundit said “unbelievable” i’d be ecstatic

mrmo
    Free Member

watched a bit of the track cycling, but other than that i am indifferent.

I believe the money could have been better spent. We are where we are.

panem et circenses

cinnamon_girl

tannoy announcement

/ flange to the Forum /

Back-up required. 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Never normally watch athletics even though I’m a keen long distance runner, but tonight was ****ing AWESOME to the MAX

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I’m pretty impressed that team GB are trying to win back all our gold reserves that Gordon Brown sold off!

/pedant
    Except the gold medals are about 97% silver !

rOcKeTdOg

mrmo – Member

didn’t you just win the 10000m ?

sweepy
    Free Member

Seen about 10mins in total, just not interested

crikey
    Free Member

So… If we are such a great sporting nation, why does Mo have to train in the US?

Cougar

I’ll hold my hand up.

I hate spectator sports. I had no interest in the Olympics.

I’ve been dragged by my OH kicking and screaming into getting involved (TdF on every day as preamble, constant TV, going to see cycling road race / time trials, getting tickets to the hockey today).

And you know. It’s been bloody brilliant.

I’ve screamed my head off at the cycling, even on big-screen TVs in parks where the riders can’t hear me; got totally absorbed with niche sports (field hockey, handball, volleyball, fencing); installed the apps; walked bloody miles round the Olympic Village today; and then wanted to get home so that we can watch the athletics tonight.

Maybe I don’t hate spectator sports. Maybe I just hate seeing the same thing day in, day out.

brakes
    Free Member

why does Mo have to train in the US?

because the US are better, durrr.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Crickey, even by your standards that’s a weak argument. Next it will be why didn’t Wiggo ride a Raleigh?!?!

Olympics have surpassed my expectations by a mile. Today alone was truly magnificent.

loum
    Free Member

if i had a £1 for everytime an athlete or pundit said “unbelievable” i’d be ecstatic

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fZzJq9_By0&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Bert Rules. 🙂

Basil

Don’t hate the Olympics.
    Hate the fact London has them (sod the rest of the UK) and the money spent at the most inappropriate point in time

crikey
    Free Member

I’m only asking. I can watch sports with as much passion as anyone, but I can also be objective.

So, an answer to the question?

mcboo
    Free Member

crikey – Member
    So… If we are such a great sporting nation, why does Mo have to train in the US?
    POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

Warm weather and altitude. And you know what, none of this is about national willy waving. It’s lovely seeing Brits do well but I only really want everyone to have a good time and maybe go home thinking a bit better of us.

And the cost? If I could prioritise what my taxes are spent on the olympics would be pretty near the top.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Because he wants to win?

(edit: sorry about the “your standards” bit – unnecessary)

flatfish
    Free Member

I’m pleased that the athletes are doing well for themselves however I’m still annoyed that we got the games in the first place in a time when the world’s finances were starting to show trends of heading southwards.
    Adding to that the fact that LOCOG claimed it would only cost £2.4bn which was massively underestimated and is looking like coming in at £13bn. That’s not including public transport upgrade costs in the region of £11bn.

£24bn when we havent got a pot to piss in is disgraceful.

Thats a “tiny” bit out on their costings, which has cost everybody in this country quite a bit in a time of redundancies and repossessions.

As I say, I’m pleased for our medal winners, be it held in London or Timbuktu but LOCOG and the goverment for bailing them out time and time again, need there arses kicked for allowing such a massive overspend when nobody can afford it.

At the moment, it stands at £82,000,000 per medal, thats without the athletes lottery funding and anything else I’ve forgotten, funded by you and me .

Value? I think not.

brooess
    Free Member

Great to have some positive British role models. Proof we can do things excellently, world class, when we set our minds to it…
    We need more of that attitude in this country. Positive, competitive, dig in and get on with it when things are tough…

Cougar

I’m only asking. I can watch sports with as much passion as anyone, but I can also be objective.

No, you’re trolling. HTH.

Value? I think not.

What price do you put on national pride, or indeed, something to smile about?

deluded
    Free Member

It’s been a fantastic spectacle and illustrates to the world what this country can achieve.

brooess
    Free Member

Value? I think not.

Um. Who ever said it was a money-making exercise?
    It’s about sport, competition, bringing people together, national pride, display of excellence.

No-one’s ever positioned it as an investment… it never makes money for any host city… Regeneration and legacy are just brought into it to show it has some kind of long term benefit – they’re not the aim

Personally it makes me want to go out and succeed at something. We need a bit of that right now

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Love the Olympics.
    Love the fact London has them.
    Money well spent to bring back some national pride, respect and hope for the future.

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm.

Funny how a bit of sporting success seems to blind people to everyday reality…

I love it, I’ve been glued to the telly, love the sport, love the competition, but yes, bread and circuses…

Bregante

I’m pleased that the athletes are doing well for themselves however I’m still annoyed that we got the games in the first place in a time when the world’s finances were starting to show trends of heading southwards

Really? Didn’t we get them in 2005 (and start the bidding process much earlier) I thought everything in the garden was rosy back then.

*am crap at money stuff though

dogbert
    Free Member

I don’t hate the Olympics, I just couldn’t care less. I could list my reasons but I’d only get shot down in flames for daring to say a bad word against our “Heroes”

It will be interesting though how many people will be tuning in for the next athletics meeting from Sheffield

Coyote
    Free Member

As above, climate and altitude training. The event has been dominated by African athletes who run in a warmer climate and live at higher altitude. Mo’s team looked, listened and learned. Off to the states for training and the results speak for themselves.

Bregante

mrmo
    Free Member

what difference would it have made to most if Paris had won? We would still have role models, winners, medals, and all the other arguments made in favour of london winning.

Other than not having to cover the hugely overinflated costs, etc.

anokdale
    Free Member

The whole event has put some Great back in Britain for me, sorry but i love my country and prefer a half full glass.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Who still hates the Olympics?’ is closed to new replies.