Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Who on here reckons they could descend this trail
  • jhw
    Free Member

Below the picture, the drop is a further 300m

sefton
    Free Member

I heard some guy on a rigid ss did it! 😆

alpin
    Free Member

where is it?

with the morose mood i’m currently in i’d give it a go.

sambob
    Free Member

I could descend it easy. Whether I would be attached to my bike or not is a different matter all together.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its a road 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Doesn’t look too bad, just steep?

emac65
    Free Member

it looks like a road to me

Gary_C

it looks like a road to me

Glad i’m not the only one who can only see a road. Smooth tarmac, therefore, easy!

EDIT: Where is it, Norfolk?

brooess
    Free Member

Below the picture, the drop is a further 300m

If it’s below the picture how’re we supposed to tell you?

R.lepecha

I would huck the lot, 900 metre road gap?

MrSparkle

I heard some guy on a rigid ss did it!

You rang?

jhw
    Free Member

This is like magic eye

If you were to divide the picture into four sections, the trail would traverse diagonally across the top right section, from bottom right to top left. It’s clearest where you can see squiggly singletrack, above the fir tree to the right of the road (the fir tree is pointing at it). That road is not a “road”, by the way, but the top of a truly enormous dam.

The trail descends from the ridge at the top (i.e. the horizon), to just out of shot to the right, on the road. The penalty for failure is the big drop to the rider’s right (into a gorge, the Barberine gorge). It reminds me rather of the bridge-crossing scene in Holy Grail (“what is your name, what is your quest, what is your favourite colour etc.”).

sefton
    Free Member

no apparently it was a 29er! 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

I see it. Impossible to say. Certainly the shallower bits look ride-able but you can’t say how steep the steep ones are.

jhw
    Free Member

Bits have got to be via ferrata

This is my answer to this thread by the way http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/which-singletrack-has-the-biggest-view-in-europe

stumpy01

I had to enlarge the window to 207% to make out the trail & on so on tha basis……”I’m Out”.

neninja
    Free Member

via ferrata ……………. with a bike

Not for me

jhw
    Free Member

OK, this thread is now a challenge. The trail descends from Loriaz to the Emosson dam, and is readily accessible to anyone in Chamonix. Photo evidence required on this thread by the end of October, or we’re all mincers. Doing it in SPDs gets extra points.

McHamish
    Free Member

Easy…I’d do that on a unicycle.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is there no better pics / footage of the trail?

jhw
    Free Member

on the way

brooess
    Free Member

Depends how steep the camber is. If it’s flat it may not be too bad. If it’s steeply cambered down the slope it’d be hard IMO

warton
    Free Member

I did it on my fixed CX bike, stayed on the drops all the way

thebunk

Easily.

(Signed Billy Gruff)

singlespeedstu

I unicycled up it. 🙄

jhw
    Free Member

No pictures really. It’s a bit of a black spot on google maps, and generally. I have no idea of what’s over the ridge, in particular, but I think it’s a bit flatter, wider and less exposed (but still rocky). The only way to know this trail will be to get out there and try it.

The only picture I can offer is this one which shows the context a bit (the trail is just off to the right)

The bit in the first picture above is definitely the steepest part. Also, I think I was wrong to say it’s 300m exposure. It’s more like a 1200m fall if things really go pear-shaped…

RealMan
    Free Member

Can’t be that bad, otherwise it wouldn’t be there.

jhw
    Free Member

If snowboarders/skiers are doing this we need to be doing stuff like the above to maintain the respect nay the dignity of the sport!

Rickos
    Free Member

It’s all in the head. The trail is prolly quite do-able, it’s just the steep drop on your right that you need to look away from!

balfa
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a black spot on google maps

There is a good view of it on geoportail.fr and you could use their version of googleearth for a 3d view overlayed with terrain if your keen. It doesn’t look so bad from the satellite image but its impossible to tell really. Looks like hard work to get up there in the first place!

DickBarton

I’d give it a bash (in spds as that is all I have!) – I’d ride the bits I could ride and I’d walk the bits I can’t ride (then curse myself for not riding them!)…surely everyone does that, no?

yossarian
    Free Member

Ponce

I’ll do it on a unicorn

jhw
    Free Member

In truth I don’t think any of it is rideable after it gets all squiggly and the big rocks kick in.

Jesus, I can see it now. Just one moment of hesitation to catch your breath, trackstand. But your momentum goes away, you can’t get the necessary turning force, your centre of gravity goes forward, the bike jackknifes, you fall over the bars and down to the right, not a big fall if it weren’t for the drop, but there is a drop. You stop after 10 feet or so with a broken collarbone, but your bike? It keeps going to the valley floor…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Trail looks doable.

It’s the high-consequenceness of it all that is a little perturbing.

thebunk

jhw, PMA matey, else you’ll never amount to anything.

jhw
    Free Member

Yeah it’s pretty much a straight line after all. Just slightly off-camber. I’ve seen worse in the Lakes.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Ponce I’ll do it on a unicorn

Pah, I’ll do it in a unitard

seosamh77
    Free Member

with a good pair of sturdy walking boots, aye nae bother.

MussEd
    Free Member

Saps, I’ll down a bottle of Unicum then go for it…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Saps, I’ll down a bottle of Unicum then go for it…

All w*nk.

Ill do it naked, on fire, backwards, blindfolded, on my arse!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Who on here reckons they could descend this trail’ is closed to new replies.