• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Who on here is a stoooooooodent?
  • geoffj

I'm just about to start a part time masters with the OU.
    Really looking forward to the challenge – and the cheap deals on stuff.

Anyone else?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Am about to do a 1 year full time MSc. I think I am officially a student now and I received my freshers pack this week, but due to visa problems for non-EU students my course has been delayed until 5th October.

As a "mature" student I am more in the camp of looking at getting a discount on an Apple computer for my thesis and book I am working on, as opposed to cheap booze at the student nights down Oceana/Flares and all the other dodgy clubs doing student nights in Plymouth.

geoffj

Nice one Simon. I too am of the mature variety. I'd forgotten about the apple deals 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah – I think the only thing I may check out at the Student Union bar are their Tuesday night film nights – am sure there could be some more interesting stuff there than the local multiplex.

I've already done a lot of pre-work for my thesis, and assuming that goes well will re-write it as a book. If the book is well received then who knows, I may be able to a PhD but no idea about how you go about funding. Will be looking into that and making lots of contacts this year, ready for whatever it is I end up doing.

Good luck with your course too.

geoffj

What will the thesis / book be on?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Let's just say something along the lines of natural plant medicines 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

just started a 4 year biomedical science course, i have a full time job too and am at the'mature' end of the student spectrum

druidh
    Free Member

Err – I should have been as of tomorrow but got way-laid by a crafty bike shop owner…..

mema
    Free Member

Im a student too but hopefully only until the 26th of november when I have my PhD viva, ahhhhhhhh. That means I have less than 6 weeks to finish my thesis… the title of it…. The development of a sensor utilising surface plasmon resonance to detect elevated micorbial loading in air-tight buildings. Well I'd better get back to writing. Good luck to everyone just starting.

Smee
    Free Member

I start a 4 year Physiotherapy course tomorrow. I am looking forward to being the oldest person in the class. I kind of have to get a 1st too or my missus will never let me live it down – she did the same course. It does however mean that i will miss the Tour of Britain going past the end of my road.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Mema – sounds like you could turn your thesis into a cool sci-fi paperback and film!

Megatron

going into my final year in a few weeks time… being a 'mature' student is great 🙄
    should be good as I will have a little more time for bikes as I've been working for the last year on a placement. 😀

mema
    Free Member

SR- sort of, it has been great playing with lasers and meccano! I have been able to name my sensor, EMMA- excited multiple microbial array! Just wich my thesis would sound as interesting!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Heh – well at the very least it should make an appearance with Scotty in the next installment of Star Trek.

mema
    Free Member

Even better- I did have a chat with some dude from the European space agency when I started, but I was so nervous Im not really sure what I said when he asked me if the sensor would work on mars! Anyway this aint writing my thesis.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Heh – go for it. Some of my writing I think is going to be in a book coming out in a couple of weeks so that's a start at least!

mema
    Free Member

Watch out for books as they don't always tell the whole story. I found through my research that some of the research groups don't know the fundamentals of the science but they still produce books and journal papers that are completely pants. I did question one author about a diagram and got a better reply on here than the author! The power of STW!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I'm just starting the 3rd year of my part time (day release) civil engineering degree.

The discounts are ace!

I also really enjoy the course, I initially didn't think I would but it's exellent.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Mema – couldn't agree more which is why I am writing my second one 🙂

slimtubing
    Free Member

I am the sole mature student in my Batchelor of Planning Degree, we finish on 31st October 🙁 however I've had a blast over the last 4 years and would heartily recommend it to anyone.
    Really missed out on doing a degree when I was younger regarding the sex drugs and rock n roll side of things but I feel I wouldn't have had the mental discipline to finish one.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah – I really had two tough years in my 2nd and 3rd years due to things happening at the time and was really unhappy. I'm looking forward to this year as a kind of way of making up for those "lost" years all that time ago. Can't wait!

Creg

Just going into 3rd year here. Classed as a mature student but Im not even 30.

Should have started researching my dissertation by now but I simply cant be arsed with any of it. Ill be lucky to even graduate at this rate. Oh well bollocks to it, degree is worth naff all anyway.

walla24
    Free Member

hell yes, 3rd year full time in mtb heaven (wales) 8)

kiwijohn

Bachelor of applied science (winemaking) here. Year 5 of 6, & i'm getting over it. Going up to uni for 3 days of residential school this week, the best part of any subject.
    The discount on apples is a bonus too.
    Better sort out some booze to take with. Or rather open the text book & start this subject before I get there. Grape vine physiology anyone?

chvck
    Free Member

Starting my masters in Autonomous Intelligent Systems in Aberwiffwiff this month having done a 4 year degree at said place finishing this summer. In good style, I am pissed :)…I have no idea how im gonna pull this off!

icepick
    Free Member

Starting a MSc by Research in (Insert race car designer/engineer based topic here) + Formula Student Team manager post in 2 weeks, at Aston in Brum. Bring on a May/June/July/August '10 full of no sleep, bad food, massive value cans of brake cleaner and temperamental racing cars.

trailmonkey

Currently doing a history degree through the OU. Might end up being an open degree if other courses take my fancy in the future or if work plans dictate a change of direction. Sometimes hard to balance family, work, biking, studying but I enjoy it hugely.

Good luck all.

juan
    Free Member

mema from a recently Dr bloke good luck with your thesis 😉
    Agree with the papers too 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Who on here is a stoooooooodent?’ is closed to new replies.