Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Who is liable?
  • waynekerr
    Free Member

A friend of mine own property which she rents out through an agency. The police kicked the front door in to the property she owns in a suspected drugs bust. Who is liable to pay for a new door?
    She does not know the tenants, as the agency handles all that, plus they have disappeared.

bruneep

Police, there was an article in the local rag about how many doors they had put in and the cost £000's to replace/repair.

sonic
    Free Member

the police are responsable to replace the door.

waynekerr
    Free Member

My friend spoke to the officer from the drugs squad dealing with the case today & he said it was her responsibility to repair the damage they caused as in a drugs related case they are entitled to gain access any way they want, he also would not say if they found anything or not.
    They could have been totally wrong & have no evidence & these people who have not been seen here for quite a while may be innocent, yet my friend has to pay for the damage they did, I find this very hard to believe, what more can she do?
    She is out of pocket as it is as the rent is in arrears, she cannot lease out the property to someone else until the present lease is up & it looks like the tenants will never be seen again or pay anymore rent, so she is reluctant to go to her solicitor for advice, she said she will try the citizens advice at the weekend, anyone any ideas in the meantime?

Marmoset
    Free Member

I'd imagine the current tenants lease is void due to the carrying out of illeegal activities within the property? Worth a look down this avenue…

Pigface
    Free Member

Police have to put it back to same condition it was in before the raid.

prickleycacti
    Free Member

i was under the impression ,if your door got put through ,if drugs where found the person/tenant living there paid.
    if nothings found the police pay !

waynekerr
    Free Member

I'd imagine the current tenants lease is void due to the carrying out of illeegal activities within the property? Worth a look down this avenue…

Not according to the agency, but I suspect they would say anything.

Police have to put it back to same condition it was in before the raid.

I total agree, but the police say no.

taxi25
    Free Member

According to this article compensation only gets paid if the break in was " illegal " Wrong property etc.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1238871/Police-paid-560-000-compensation-raiding-wrong-properties.html

jonb
    Free Member

Insurance?

kevonakona
    Free Member

Insurance. Mine was put in (in a totally kack handed way, instead of breaking the pain of glass and reaching in for the yale lock they tried to crowbar it first, then broke the glass) for access due to a burst pipe which was "flooding" flat below. £900 for a new door not their problem.

toys19
    Free Member

there are a number of ways that the tenancy contract could be brought to an end in this situ.
    1) if tenant is damaging property
    2) if tenant is in arrears
    3) if tenant is carrying out illegal activities
    4) if tenant abandons property

1) and 3) can normally be solved quickly in court – seek legal advice pronto.
    For 2) to be effective they have to be 2 month in arrears before application can be made to court, but then its pretty quick.
    If its number 4 then its just a case of being sure they have abandoned, ie, no rent paid, stuff moved out, take fotos and be really sure they have abandoned then just change the locks fix up and re -rent.

geoffj

The tenants are liable – if the damage deposit doesn't cover it, pursue them through the courts. If nothing was found and the police are at fault, then it is up to the tenants to prove it.

grantway
    Free Member

Call your building insurance and explain one way or another
    your insurance will put a new door and locks on ASAP
    But I hope you have explained to them that you are renting the
    property out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Who is liable?’ is closed to new replies.