Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Who has had a smaller (budget?) wedding?
  • mansonsoul
    Free Member

I have nothing real to contribute here, I just wanted to say:

Ti rings! Titanium!
    So you don't carry excess grammage around with you on a ride just because you're married! Fantastic! 😀

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

We aren't Christians,so it was a Registry Office job.Lunch a tDad's Golf Club for close family and friends. A wild party at night. No Honeymoon.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I had to pay for suit hire – that was it.

I hate to think what it all cost – it was a lot of fun though!

Peeps I know who have had a tightish budget have done stuff very cleverly and come up trumps.

monksie
    Free Member

Not a penny. We were travelling round Africa and in the village we were staying in in Kenya for a few days, the village elder wouldn't allow us to sleep in the same room unless we were married.
    Mrs Karioke (elders wife) did the wedding for free. We got a piece of paper in a form of swahili and that was that. My wife (South African) couldn't make out much of the document.
    Two months later when we were back in the UK, I took the form to the Inland Revenue to see if I could get married mans tax. They told me it had to be translated or verifed by a solicitor. We found a solicitor in Whaley Range (Manchester) who was from that region of Kenya. She did her best with it and gave us a sworn verification (of some sort) that it was a legitimate marriage doscument. Handed that in to the tax office and a married mans tax code was mine.
    What do I win?

MoreCashThanDash

Had a wedding and then a meal at Beauport Park outside Hastings – 35 close friends and family, was relatively cheap.

My suit, shoes and the rings were quite cheap, her dress wasn't much – brides mother and god mother did the flowers, my mum and brides uncle did the cake, god father provided the wedding car.

Blew about £4k on the honeymoon in Canada though!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Got married last year in the registry office in my home town, only invited 3 bezzie mates plus v.close family, and we all then went to our hotel bar for afternoon drinks before the meal, which me and the missus paid for, was about £700 for the 14 guests. Then everyone else bought us drinks.
    …and obviously got Ti rings…

Moses

The best wedding I went to had a total of 8 people (9 including the registrar).
    The couple booked themselves in for the day, and invited 2 sets of friends which included Mrs M & me, plus another couple & their 2 kids. They didn;t tell us about the wedding, just to come for a lunch at a nice pub.
    At 2pm they asked us to come for a short walk with them which turned out to be to the registry office; then we went off to a good resto for the evening.

Very romantic, great fun, no fuss, quite cheap.

Moses

NZCol

Ours was 3217.88 exactly ! That was a full bells and whistles do at a castle Inc piper nibbles sit down meal etc all arranged by email and 4 phone calls in less than 5 weeks from the other side of the world. Brilliant day and good value we thought having been planning (although not really our preference) a 90 person effort in NZ. One night honeymoon in Edinburgh which involved lots of wandering, a fair few beers and a curry. Off on a 7 week honeymoon later this year which will be a bit more expensive.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gretna green yet.
    Years ago we were saving for a deposit on a house, I had no real way of paying for a proper wedding, & I certainly would never of asked for help from parents(not that I could of had a church wedding as I'm not religious, & it would be hypocritical to do otherwise) so we 'eloped' to GG to get married, only both sets of parents were present, registry office affair with the vows being re-taken over the anvil & a few days in a cheap hotel, when we got back we hired a hall & had a bit of a do, if I spent more than a grand I would fall over, but that was a while ago.

The killer is women still think it was romantic to get married in GG, personally I was just trying to save money 😉

Mugboo

We got married at Leeds registry office, took 55 people to Loch Fine for a slap up feed (told them 'family party' when we negotiated).

Choice of 3 starters/3 mains, wine £14 per bottle, £5 corkage on 10 bottles of champers (restricted number!)

Then the oldies buggered off home and we took 40 to the Jongleurs to keep them entertained.

Followed by much dad dancing in Bar Risa next door (including quality cover band, lucky!)

Before retiring to the Mal Maison where we spent Fri/Sat/Sun.

This was our honeymoon, 3 nights in Leeds (we live in Bradford!)

Wedding Friday
    Pigeon detectives on Sat
    Wombats on Sunday

And a fresh look at Leeds…

God i love my Wife!!

Total cost about £4000

We told guests we did not require any presents just their company but still ended up with £2500!! towards our new windows.

Wouldn't change a thing.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Thanks guys, so many fantastic stories and ideas!

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Matt

squiff
    Free Member

We tied the knot at Gretna Green. It was great and wouldn't change anything about it ! There were about 60 people who came up, and all paid for their own accommodation. Got married as late as possible so that we didn't have to have a day and night do-it was all rolled into one. The scenery is fantastic so the photos are great.Hired a B&B so got the room for bout £125, had buffet instead of sit down meal. It was great. People still comment on what a great wedding it was. All budgeted by the Mrs ! She says the best part was that the woman at the B & B did most of the booking and sorting out (DJ, photographer, horse and carriage) so there was very little stress

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Registry office, £60 odd. Vintage ebay suit from states £60. 'Wedding' dress under £100 (bridesmaids dress really). '56 Buick plus driver £200ish, ferry to Purbecks £3.90. Cake stand £5 second hand, fairy cakes courtesy of wifes friend. Stereo and ipod free. Venue overlooking harbour/beach (poshish fish restaurant plus tented extension) £1000ish including lunchtime posh bbq and evening hogroast for 30 people. Free booze all day for everyone – cheers dad rip. Hotel for the night £100. Flowers, not a lot. Photos by keen friends, free.

Everyone boozed up and happy.

hug
    Free Member

close family & friends-registry office- bar across the road for a couple of rounds of drinks & some finger food about £200 (6 years ago) and spent what money we did have on a honeymoon in the Maldives, TOP

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I contributed to the last one, so I looked it up for you:

wedding venue thread

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Who has had a smaller (budget?) wedding?’ is closed to new replies.