Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Who does part weeks in the Alps
  • Tracey

Looking to stop of for a few days [arrive Wed evening and depart Sat morning] some where in the Alps whilst on our way to Verbier. Been to Morzine/Les Gets so looking for else where, prefer catered and lift assist and possible guiding for four

Recomendations please

Tracey

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can you not just book somewhere to stay and find your own riding? That’s what I’m doing this Summer in the Alps and what I did in the USA a few years ago…
    🙂

I think these holiday companies are a rip-off, basically

Tracey

Would prefer to go with a company

upsidedownflyboy
    Free Member

the white room might be able to sort you out? there email is on the link somewhere.

i can recommend them

uplink
    Free Member

I suspect most of them would at the moment

Tracey

Tried the White Room but only taking bookings for full week at moment, and cant leave it late and to chance

TheSwede
    Free Member

Trail addiction are awesome and they do long weekends. They could probably accommodate you midweek as well if you asked.
    http://www.trailaddiction.com/mountain-biking-holidays.php

nasher
    Free Member

I think these holiday companies are a rip-off, basically

Peterpoddy

Out of interest, why do you think these companies are a rip off?

wormhole

[/url]

i can reccomend jamie here for a good trip.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Peterpoddy,
    When you add up the costs of transfers, food, lodgings, guiding and all the other stuff, i think there are some good deals to be had with a fully catered, guided chalet.
    Plus when on your own you waste valuble time riding some not so good trails.

Tracey

Tend to agree, I would have found it very hard to find the trails in Verbier without the help of Phil and Lucy and their team, thats why we go back along with the fact that they are first class at every thing apart from Phils jokes, if I had a couple of days spare I wouldnt want to waste them looking for trails or cooking for 4, I can do that at home

If any one sees Phil tell him Katie says statisticlly 6 out of 7 dwarfs arnt happy

Tracy

forgotmename
    Free Member

Have you tried mbmb? The guy who runs it has a bnb chalet where you could stay for a couple of nights, and ask him where to go, or ask if you can do a day or so riding with his weekly group. I have done this several times, and the riding is tops.

charliemort

I’m kind of with Poddy, and kind of with Tracey. I have been guided in Chamonix and realised afterwards that a lot of what we rode was on the Tourist Info map and waymarked………. but then again, a lot wasn’t. There will probably be lots of cheeky bits which you wouldn’t find. On one trip we definitely did a lot of off road traversing to cut out descending on road just to have to climb out again.

So yes, you can find good riding, but I doubt you’ll find the best riding……. and the risk of piling 1000 vertical metres downhill to a dead end is quite high

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Peterpoddy

Out of interest, why do you think these companies are a rip off?

Because I can do it cheaper myself. ‘Rip-off’ was maybe a bit too strong, though, in hindsight 🙂
    I guess people go on organised holidays for the convenience more than anyhting?

There’s 4 of us driving down to the Alps in the summer and I reckon we’ll be paying 1/2 – 2/3 of the price they charge. We’re camping, cooking our own food most days, that sort of thing. I love it. 😀

Nothing to do with price, but I don’t really like orgainised holidays. I prefer to ‘wing it’ a bit. You know, just book a ferry ticket, pack a tent and go. Sure, something always goes wrong, but that’s the fun part! We rode the motorbikes down to Italy, and camped on a campsite that turned out to be closed which we only realised when the police arrived to turf us off!
    Yeah, I know it’s not for everyone, but it gives us experiences to laugh about for years, and you do meet some interesting characters sometimes (Especially in Italy!)
    😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Who does part weeks in the Alps’ is closed to new replies.