Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Who bikes to work? How far?
  • Oxboy
    Free Member

Just trying to shame myself into getting up 40mins earlier to ride the 5 miles to work instead of taking the gas guzzling 4×4 . . . .

😳

Rorschach
    Free Member

21k each way…only one hill tho 😕

crocodilian
    Free Member

Me! I bike to work and it’s about 4 and a bit miles. It’s a great start to the day.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I do. . . . . .sometimes. 8 miles

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

3.5 miles. It takes me 9-12 minutes generally.

smell_it
    Free Member
    grim168
    Free Member

I pedal 9 miles each way. A few years ago I drove an old petrol shogun. the money I saved each day in fuel cycling on my mtb paid for a new road bike after a while. stick the money in an old coffee jar, it soon mounts up.

andrewh
    Free Member

40mins for 5 miles?! Is it quite a steep unhill?

8 miles for me, 26-27 mins on the SS, bit less on the road bike. The route back is as long as the weather gives me the inclination to make it 🙂

XC_girl
    Free Member

Myself and husband both do, he has 3 miles I do 9 miles each way.

Bregante

9 miles. Dead flat. I work shifts so find myself riding home at 3am quite often

Oxboy
    Free Member

No, I gotta faff with the bike to get it out of the shed then lock the other back up.
    It takes 25mins there uphill and 19 back downhill.

20-24 mpg diesel at £1.35+ a litre, I’m going to have to do it.

stumpy01

60 miles each way so not really feasible to ride the whole thing, but I sometimes stick the bike in the car & cycle in from a village 12.5 miles away; so get 25 mile in.

Now the weather’s getting better I hope to do it a bit more often!

keyses2

I do just over 5 miles each way ( unless its flooded then its 9 each way), doesnt seem worth getting the car out for a short distance.

takisawa2

Used to do 6 miles, including dropping kids off in the trailer. God I miss doing that. 🙁
    Only do a mile or two now, & eldest rides his own bike.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Start a 12hr shift at 6am tomorrow so I’ll be up at 4:30am to do a 14 mile ride before I start.Don’t HAVE to,because I only live 3 miles away from where I work.I must be mad.Anyway,night night,I’ve got to be up early 😆

amodicumofgnar

Just started to do a couple of days a week. About 300m of climbing and 11km each way, good for 60kph plus on the descent back home in the evening.

Oxboy
    Free Member

😳 suitably shamed, setting the alarm as we speak . . . .

MaryHinge
    Free Member

17 miles each way. Twice per week. Lots of hills.

Not ridden bike of any kind yet this year due to neck injury, but reckon I’ll be back on it come end of March.

andrewh
    Free Member

Used to ride 35 miles from St. Andrews to Kirkcaldy. Arrived in my riding kit with shirt and trousers in a pack so it was obvious I’d ridden. Had the same conversation with so many people.
    “How far have ridden?”
    “Only from St. Andrews.”
    “That’s miles away!”
    “Only about 35ish, doesn’t take too long.”
    PAUSE
    “What do you do when it’s raining, do you get the bus?”
    “If it’s only drizzling I’ll ride. If it’s pi$$ing it down I’ll wimp out and drive.
    “You have a car and you still ride?!” (This last bit was always in the same tone of voice. Seems people didn’t understand that I rode because I like riding my bike, rather than because I had no other way of getting around.

richen987
    Free Member

Do a nice 8.5 in the mornings and 9.5miles on the way back via the fields, takes roughly the same time as the walk and train and is loads more fun, not to mention putting me in a good mood for the day !

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Heading to bed now, before 22 miles in the morning and the same on the way home. Once a week at the moment but it’s worth it – and the it’s a full sun tomorrow on the weather forecast. Yee har; summer’s here (for a few moments, probably) 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nine miles each way for me and it’s faster than a car, a tram, a bus and even my motor bike. That’s the reason I got rid of it actually.

Trimix
    Free Member

I drive my van part of the way, then cycle 16km to work. Only when its not raining or when Im not riding the motorbike to work.

I would try riding all the way, but a large bit of the commute is on the shite A34 – no way should anyone try cycling along that road. Driving is bad enough on it.

maxray
    Free Member

About 22miles each way twice a week at the mo.

kimbers

i do 7 miles each way very flat into london
    -every weekday regardless of weather

hh45
    Free Member

takes roughly the same time as the walk and train and is loads more fun, not to mention putting me in a good mood for the day !

+1. Cycling to work is simply the best thing you can do IME; fitness, wakes you up, de-stresses you after work, enables you to eat more, its quicker, helps to justify even more kit, baffles colleagues, increases awareness of the seasons (birdsong this morning was nice) and makes me somewhat smug.

About 22km round trip, mostly off road.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Used to.Lost my mojo.Costs naff all to drive.

carlphillips
    Free Member

would like to but its 33miles each way on major roads and then fast country lanes,lots of hills and scary driving,plus i don’t got no roadbike,but if petrol keeps going up then i may have to start driving part way then riding.

toppers3933
    Free Member

7 miles there and however many miles i can squeeze into the ride home. hate driving to work. not sure why.

Pooley
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice 10 miles, a few rises in it, plus on way home, easy option to loop down the coast to Minehead way, or instead take the MTB and loop over the Quantocks. Sounds alright.

Junkyard
    Free Member

12 miles each way soon to be 16 each way MTFU
    5 miles you should be running in 🙄

mildred

11 miles each way through winter for 5 out of 6 working days per shift cycle. I work 6 on 3 off, and do bog all on rest days. In Summer, on certain shifts I ride the long way home, which is 25 miles. It follows a river then canal for 22 miles and then is sharply uphill for the final 3. Killer.

Oggles
    Free Member

8 miles each way while I was on my placement in Leeds. Headingley to Seacroft. Rain,shine,snow etc. Found out I could do most of it off road eventually 🙂

I like hh45’s reasons!

aP
    Free Member

Are there really people who drive 5 miles to work? How quaint.

jeffc

50km 3 – 4 times a week between house in Brunei and work in Malaysia.

rOcKeTdOg

17 miles a day on my third week of doing it after moving closer to work, about 4 years ago I did 14 a day for 2 years, getting back into a routine is the hardest part

tootallpaul

Yep, everyday- only a five minute ride, but its worth it …

A little video of my commute:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150193096962646&comments

warton
    Free Member

I vary mine depending on how I feel. minimum is 7 miles each way. last friday I did 15 on the homeward leg. It’s a great start and end to the working day, and it gets you fit. I do 80/90ish a week, add that to my ride on sunday and I’ve passed 1000 miles this year already, which means I can eat lots more cake!

saxabar
    Free Member

Currently six or seven mile one way mostly along Lôn Las Ogwen. Although uphill all the way back it’s a great time to process annoying meetings and the like. Plus the views are stunning.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Who bikes to work? How far?’ is closed to new replies.