Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Whitby,whats it like?
  • shreck
    Free Member

Thinking of taking my mum away for a weekend my dad passed away in jan suddenly at 62,is it a good place for a 10yr old boy too want somewhere we can go crabbing?

wors

Definitely, i love it there.

DrJ

Whitby is great for kids – we used to go there all the time when I was small. Can look at the boats, climb up to the Abbey (Dracula!!), look for jet in the cliffs, eat fish & chips, walk along the beach, visit Sandsend or the NYM railway, etc etc etc !! 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    vdubber67
    Free Member

mind the goths.. 😉

antigee

can be busy – might want to check if any special events on – our kids love it
    Goathland (sp) nearby (10miles?) where they film Heartbeat might be a good Mumsy place

midlifecrashes

It’s great, plus the drive to get there is fabulous too, even getting the train down from Middlesbrough is spectacular (obviously except for the Middlesbrough bit).

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

It’s a wonderful place. Couldn’t recommend it enough. If you have the inclination, the walk along the coast from Whitby to Robin Hood’s Bay is stunning (and there’s a bus back to Whitby).

Watch out for the sea guls if you’re having chips. They’re extremely cheeky in Whitby and will mug you.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Whitby is ace for people of all ages. Boat trips, steam bus rides, open top bus tours, ghost walks, the Abbey, rock pools, the best fish and chips, nice beach, touristy stuff (donuts, arcades etc if that’s your bag) interesting geography, history, hour’s trainride from NYMR.

Well recommended. One of my favourite places.

grumm
    Free Member

Go to Robin hood’s bay as well.

wors

We stop in sandsend when we go, can give you a number if you like.

Remember pushing wors jnr in his pram up the hill in Robin Hoods Bay, **** me it’s steep.

uplink
    Free Member

As above it really is a nice place to stay
    Fish & chips at the Magpie is pretty much obligatory

If you’re looking for somewhere to bed down – I can recommend the Bramblewick

http://www.bramblewick.co.uk/

DrJ

And Staithes

and Runswick Bay

and

uff … getting all homesick now 🙁

NorthShaun
    Free Member

Its full of Geordies on the pi55, the pavements are full of fish & chip wrappers & chewing gum, and there’s a Blackpoolian “threat of violence” hanging in the air! Try Robin Hood’s Bay a few miles down the coast…. much nicer, and loads of rock pools when the tides out!

wors

no no magpies is good but there is a better fish & chip shop over the bridge, can’t remember the name of it now though, someone will know.

johnh65
    Free Member

NorthShaun – sure you’re not thinking of Whitley Bay? 😉

sing1etrack

Its full of Geordies on the pi55, the pavements are full of fish & chip wrappers & chewing gum, and there’s a Blackpoolian “threat of violence” hanging in the air!
    What a load of b*llocks!

Give the Magpie a miss – you’ll queue for half an hour for f&c’s that are good but nothing overly special. The Quarterdeck by the pier’s nice instead.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

the white horse and griffin (on the ‘old’ side) is fantastic, albeit quite expensive.

Philby

Great place – you might find some fossils on the south shore.

Also there is a lovely little fish smokery up a little street past the steps up to the Abbey.

Its a working fishing port which makes it quite interesting. Close to North York Moors. As above Staithes (no two houses alike) and Robin Hoods Bay are fabulous little fishing villages.

As well as Dracula it is where Captain Cook was born.

Wish I lived closer than I do – still have very fond memories of getting absolutely plastered on a school geology trip, then having to stagger up the steps to the Abbey before being informed by the teacher that we would all be walking to Robin Hoods Bay to pick up the coach!

thenorthernsmoothie
    Free Member

The best fish and chips is from Hadleys on Bridge Street, been going there since I was a small boy and is always a must when I visit.

it is where Captain Cook was born

Its not where he was born, that was either Gt Ayton or Marton, but it is on the tour. He set sail from there or something?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’ll second Hadleys – very nice from there.

Also there is a lovely little fish smokery up a little street past the steps up to the Abbey.[

That’ll be Fortunes – the best kippers you can buy! Although the shop doesn’t open for long so be prepared to find it closed!

Creg

Bank holiday weekend so it will be pretty damned busy, traffic could be very bad depending on what direction you come in from. Town is nice enough though.

If youre around for the weekend come up to Staithes/Runswick Bay/Sandsend for a look around, will be busy-ish but still fairly quiet.

RHB is worth a look but be prepared for a damned long walk down to the bottom of the village down a really steep hill! Worth it though, nice cafes at the bottom and more second hand bookshops than you can imagine.

Inland there’s the little villages such as Grosmont, Castleton and Danby. Danby has the Moors Center and some lovely walks, theres also the Stonehouse Bakery there (was a frequent place to grab a good cuppa and a sandwich for a number of years for me).

Have a look at Whitby Today website to see what events are going on over the weekend too.

MoreCashThanDash

Waaaaayyyyy better than Scarborough, but can get chocka on nice weekends.

We are rather partial to Filey, just up the coast, but the fish & chips are better in Whitby tbh.

Sandwich

Bit of a BNP recruiting ground when I was there last year. Lots of activity around the stand on the main drag.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

there’s a kiosk/van there that sells “goth flavour” ice cream (liquorice and blackcurrant- purple and black)… amazing.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Whitby,whats it like?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts