Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Whisky for non whisky drinker
  • jlln
    Free Member

Cardhu 12 year old (nice whisky) is on offer in Tescos at the moment for £25 (£17 off).

doris5000

My local Co-op has Balvenie Doublewood 12 Years for £23.

buy the lot! That’s a great price, it’s usually about £39 in my local Tesco

chewkw
    Free Member

Cardhu Gold Reserve £25 at the moment. I bought two one for me one for present. Taste good so far.

If Balvenie Doublewood is selling at £23 I will buy two. I shall check co-op later on. 😆

Also looking at some Brandy Cognac … hmmm …

ton

i have these on the go at present. all nice easy drinking.
    the cardhu stands out a bit more tho.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GMDGoR]2017-11-20_06-46-20[/url] by 20ston, on Flickr

chewkw
    Free Member

ton – Member
    i have these on the go at present. all nice easy drinking.
    the cardhu stands out a bit more tho.

Ton, you need to add Balvenie Doublewood to your collection too. 😀

I am going to check out my local Co-op later on.

Also anyone drink brandy? Which one do you prefer? Remy Martin, Martell or Hennessy? These are mostly VS or VSOP but will get XO in future.

ivorlott
    Free Member

If anyone fancies pushing the boat out a bit this Christmas, 17-year old Doublewood is on Amazon at £72. If you like a Balvenie, you’ll love this one…

slowoldman

Powers Irish whisky. Easy drinking.

brennak

I’m not particularly fond of whiskey, but my lad was based at Lossiemouth, the Linkwood distillery was behind his house, so tried a bottle and found it quite pleasant, usually get a bottle for Christmas now.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Also anyone drink brandy? Which one do you prefer? Remy Martin, Martell or Hennessy? These are mostly VS or VSOP but will get XO in future.

Not the biggest fan of any of those. They are all mass produced in modern factories sold on branding rather than quality. Their good stuff is £000’s a bottle and outside my price range. Camus and Gautier make some very nice Cognacs at reasonable prices.
    Cognac isn’t a huge place but the areas where the grapes come from make a huge difference to the finished products. The VS, VSOP, XO and Hors d’age can be misleading so try a few of the different grape areas to see what you enjoy most. Unlike Whisky, Cognacs or brandies from elsewhere do not tend to be just one grape (or malt in the case of whisky) and most are a blended and the age relates to the youngest part of the blend.
    If you get the chance, visit the place and do as much sampling as you can.

wilburt
    Free Member

Tesco OB single malt.

(or mount gay)

chewkw
    Free Member

craigxxl – Member
    They are all mass produced in modern factories sold on branding rather than quality.

Thanks for the explanation, it looks like I shall buy Martell VS from M&S for £21 if that is the case. Might even buy their own brand.

I have a bottle of Spanish Torres Gran Reserva brandy but it tastes like strong medication … put me off.

Unlike Whisky, Cognacs or brandies from elsewhere do not tend to be just one grape (or malt in the case of whisky) and most are a blended and the age relates to the youngest part of the blend.

This sounds much more complicated than I thought …

If you get the chance, visit the place and do as much sampling as you can.

Yes, will give it a try if I get the chance.

Bottom line, brandy might be more complicated … 😮

slowoldman

Also anyone drink brandy?

These days I manage to avoid having spirits in the house. They don’t last. My favourite tipple though is Asbach Uralt. I buy a bottle for Christmas, as I have today. Oh look, it’s going down already.

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

Also anyone drink brandy?

These days I manage to avoid having spirits in the house. They don’t last. My favourite tipple though is Asbach Uralt.[/quote]

Good call on Asbach Uralt. Never heard of them before but now I have and the price seem reasonable so long as you don’t get their really expensive ones. 😀

Yes, you are right because once the bottle is opened it will be gone in a short while. I try to only drink a short on alternate day.

I drink all my whisky with a drop of water. No ice or fancy stuff but I do have a glass of water nearby if I need to drink water.

🙂

Yak

I’m a fan of full on peat and smoke in whisky…..but this year for the first time I drank Japanese Yamazaki, and tbh, it was stunning. Complex, approachable, deep, and flavours I hadn’t tasted in Scottish whisky. Life is too short not to try it imo.

rascal
    Free Member

Auchentoshan bought, sipped and enjoyed tonight. Cheers all.

tinybits
    Free Member

Im on The English Smokey whilst watching the Wolf of Wall St. seems a good pairing!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Japanese Yamazaki

Distillers reserve, wonderful, £45 in Sainsburys.

Whatever you do, never ever try a Macallan 18, not ever, it’ll ruin you. Nothing compares. It’s bloody expensive though.

kormoran
    Free Member

I bought a bottle of the Aberlour 10 on the strength of the effusive recommendations in this thread, and because I’m a big fan of the 12. Well, it was just about worth the £22 I paid but tbh it’s a bit thin. Next time I’ll be digging a bit deeper for that extra fiver and getting the 12. And if anyone really believes the Aberlour 10 can’t be beaten for under £50 they’re blessed with a unique and economical to satisfy palate.

johnners – you see that’s the thing, everyone’s palate is different. I much prefer the 10 to the 12.

It’s mad isn’t it? and just goes to show what different palates we all have. I have been round the block trying different malts and always come back to the Aberlour 10yo. Right now I have an Aberlour and a Tamnavulin on the go but I know I won’t be getting another Tamnavulin. The Ab 12 was just meh for me.

problem is i can’t help myself so keep trying new whiskey’s to find something ‘better’. To be fair, a small nip at the right time and place is always fabulous regardless of what it is.

Cougar

I was once fortunate enough to do a vertical on Highland Park. A “very young,” the standard 12, a 15, 25 and 30yo.

The VY would have been great for stripping paint. The 15 is probably the best “bang for your buck,” it’s a vast improvement on the 12. The 25 and the blood-curdlingly expensive 30 were interesting though, they were both superb but I thought the 25 was better than the 30. The 30yo had lost something, somehow.

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Whisky for non whisky drinker’ is closed to new replies.