Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Whiskey. How would you drink it?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I have just been given a bottle of Bells and am wondering what the best way of drinking it is.

I would normally just splash some Coke in ther and drink it quite strongly. What is the best way to drink Bells?

seven
    Free Member

no to coke.

Whisky Mac is the way to go.

Equal measures of Bells and Ginger wine (Crabbies if you can get it) and a bit of ice to cool.

[EDIT] – also, no ‘e’ in scottish whisky, whiskey is the irish stuff

Drac

Best way to drink bells is to pour some better whisky into the glass and throw the bells down the sink n

Hairychested
    Free Member

Whisky, laptop, cassifieds. Report tomorrow 🙂

speaker2animals

Whiskey Mac +1

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ginger wine, what about ginger ale or is that the same thing?

ratherbeintobago

Bell’s is whisky (without the e as it’s Scotch); as it’s a blend no-one will get upset if you put coke in it, though as blends go, Bell’s is pretty drinkable.

The only ‘acceptable*’ addition to a single malt whisky is water (which helps bring the flavour out); if you want to look like a real professional Highlander, you drink alternate sips of whisky & water.

Andy

*at the end of the day, it’s your drink if you want to put ice or something else in it.

epicyclo

Bells – take a mouthful
    Spray on window
    Rub window until clean.

Less headaches if you drink good single malts.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Do what you like with Bells. Bailey Nicol Jarvie is quite a nice blended whisky.

Decent malt maybe a splash of water.

Cask strength malt always a splash of water.

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

Brown paper bag in an underpass.

SidewaysTim

Bells? Try it with Dr Pepper – like an alcopop for men.

chakaping
    Free Member

Whisky, laptop, cassifieds. Report tomorrow

Hahaha, we’ve all done it.

I_Ache
    Free Member

OK whisky Snobs some people arnt as versed in drinking whisky as you are. I quite like the taste of Bells or Glenfiddich or JD or the like with coke and I dont want to ‘learn’ how to drink it starting with £50 bottles. I would rather progress onto that. At the moment when I drink it neat I get the rush of strength and flavour because I am not used to it.

Oh and for the classifides idea the last time I did that I ended up with a fishing scale and I dont even fish! Previously I brought a Toyota Celica on ebay!!

fivespot
    Free Member

Mix it 1 part water 4 parts Bells, makes a great winter screen wash 😀

gordimhor

With mead 3 parts mead to one whisky

epicyclo

Truly it isn’t about being a whisky snob.

There’s less crap in a good single malt, and your body will thank you for the difference the next day.

flip
    Free Member

I’m drinking Bells with lemonade out the fridge right now, lovely for a most the week drink, single malt at weekend 8)

edhornby

for scotch, the best way is neat or with a tiny splash of water to open the flavours out – with ice you lose the heat and the flavours

bells is a blend as opposed to a single malt but it’s not as bad as drac makes out, give it a go neat and see how you get on

jonb
    Free Member

Water it down a bit, even proper whisky drinkers do it.

iwluap

Drac – that made me laugh! All down to personal taste and experience, not snobbery. I think there are better blends out there than Bells but if its what you’ve got it would be a shame to waste it. Drink it how you like but it would be a shame to mix a single malt with coke, but if that’s what floats your boat, go to it.

No need to spend £50 on a bottle of single malt. Although it is more than possible!

coastkid
    Free Member

I add water to my favourite Whisky, Glenmorangie, about a 3rd…
    Some folk say no water some say must be with water,
    There is no right or wrong way…personal choice
    The choice is yours 😮

crikey
    Free Member

With your friends. Job done…

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Coke? You might as well piss in it…

grim168
    Free Member

Told us at Glenmorangie distillery to add water. Bells is for adding to coffee or in a hot toddy. Which brings us onto which coffee should I add bells to. 😈

TheSwede
    Free Member

Bells. Mix with toilet water and flush.

epicyclo

I come from a family of free-range whisky distillers (granduncle jailed for it – MacKenzies, Gairloch) and we were always told not to touch the industrial stuff because it’s bad for you, whereas proper stuff is good for you. Seems to have worked, most of that side of the family lived a long time. 🙂

hoodie
    Free Member

If you like it drink it. Ive recently developed a liking for Royal Lochnagar and Springburn Madeira Wood Cask..

rewski
    Free Member

I’m with Seven on the whisky mac front, awesome drink this time of year, although I prefer stones ginger wine.

Haribo
    Free Member

firstly its whisKY (anything with an E isnt from scotland)

as to how to enjoy it – however the X you want. For the cheaper blends i would add what ever mixer you want as straight it is likely to be a bit ropey.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I personally would get the Crabbies Ginger Wine and have it as whiskymac, Tried Bells neat and I found it to be unpleasant to my palate, Famous Grouse I dont mind.
    My advice to get into all the diffrenet flavours is to get yourself a big big stock of minatures of all the single malts you can find from round the whisky map and taste as many back to back from all corners.
    Ii was one of the highlights of my evenings on this years holiday in Scotland. (Along with getting along to the DH round at Fort William, and the wife thought staying at Glencoe was just for the scenery) 😆

BoardinBob

J&B is very nice for a blend.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have just been given a bottle of Bells and am wondering what the best way of getting rid of it is.

There I corrected it for you 🙂

Seriously I drink decent whiskey neat, room temp. I am afraid I try not to drink bells :mrgreen:

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve just been given a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask and It’s really quite nice. It’s the first whisky I’ve tried its a little strong neat but lots of flavour. Do you drink it with a bit of water or neat ? Tis jolly nice mind, I can kind of see what the fuss with whisky is about now 😉

ash.addy
    Free Member

Give the Bells as a Chrissy pressie and get yourself a good malt, can’t stand that blended stuff.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I like blended with Old Jamaica ginger beer and malt (especially peaty ones like Lagavulin or Laphroaig)with a splash of coke 😳

cheers_drive

Whisky Mack is the only way for Bells, Grants, Famous Grouse, any other Scottish blended whisky.
    I’m not a whisky snob though and prefer Irish Whiskey (Bushmills Black Bush) to many Scottish Single Malts.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I like Bells. Neat or with an ice cube. Or with some water. Whatever, ENJOY!

theotherjonv

From the man from Macallan’s own mouth, he recommended a splash of water (1/5 to 1/4 of the whisky volume) to separate the various flavours a bit. That’s how I like it.

From an ex colleague (a Scot, obviously) who knew his stuff, as he used to be head of quality at one of the larger single malt producers whose name escapes me. He also suggested water, but then also said that he didn’t mind if you added coke, ginger, ice, lemonade…. as long as you were buying and drinking scotch as opposed to Irish or Bourbon or any other sort and keeping his old colleagues in a decent living.

Don’t see why you’d drink Bells any different tbh; OK it’s a blend but it’s still a blend of whiskies, it’s not a different drink entirely. And as most blends were conceived because a lot of single malts were too harsh, drinking a decent blended Scotch ‘neat’ might be an acclimatising step before stepping into the wider (and baffling) arena of ‘proper’ whisky.

Bazz

I prefer Irish whiskey myself, but if i were to have a bottle of bells i’d drink it over ice in a tall glass with loads of soda water, lovely on a hot summers day. So save it until then and get a nice bottle of Bushmills single malt with just a splash of water at room temperature.

Haribo
    Free Member

I would join the null and enjoy some “proper” malts. Single malt bah i laugh at your single malt and raise you with a single cask.

not really, whisky (not that terrible whiskey stuff 😉 ) is made to be drank. Enjoy it how you like. I was at a distillery that makes 65 million litres of the stuff a year today…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Whiskey. How would you drink it?’ is closed to new replies.