Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which winter boots?
  • andyxxx
    Free Member

My feet are wet & cold – so going to try some winter boots.
    What do you lot like best?
    Tried to look at Shimano MW80 and Northwave – but both out of stock locally, so will probably purchase via mail order.

Any other suggestions please?

druidh
    Free Member

MT90s

househusband

MT90's +1

FuzzyWuzzy

Reviewed in this month's MBUK I think. Seems Lake or the MW80's if you want water-proofing. I have the Spesh Defroster and they're pretty good but water gets in over the tops after a while but they stay warm if you use decent wool socks.

snowslave

mt90s here too

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Shimano or Northwave I have both (Shimano 2 years old).

Both are great, just get the ones that fit your feet

br
    Free Member

I've the 90's, but borrowed a friends MW80's last year at Afan when I forgot mine…

The MW80's are far better, as the seal cuff means nothing comes in the top, just as warm as well.

z1ppy

love my mt90's (nice and warm unlike some) but would have gone for MW80's if they'd been available at the time.
    As mentioned above Lake MX140 look good too or MX302's if you want the ultimate.

DrP

I've JUST this minute opened my MW80s that arrived from CRC this morning (thus haven't taken them out for a ride!)

They feel very comfy, and the ankle cuff is really flexible – i was worried it'd be stiff.

I too was fed up of my feet swimming in a "shoe pool" after damp weather!

DrP

andyxxx
    Free Member

Thanks for all your input.

Think I am erring towards the MW80, but would have liked to try a pair of Northwave GTX, but no shops locally have either in.

Would have rather tried on and purchased from a shop than purchased via internet (sizing varies that much)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I got my 80's last week and think that they are excellent.

Size wise I normally take a 44 but went with the 45 after trying a pair on in a shop over here, they came in a little tight.

khewett
    Free Member

mw80's great boot, im normally 44 but bought 46 in shimano

very warm, dry and comfy

robgarrioch

Handy thread indeed – was just thinking of a decent pair as my normal boots will soon be rendered useless, + already shredded a pair of over-shoes. Thinking of 80's too (from ProBikeKit – excellent service). Don't the MT-90's laces kinda get in the way??

Yetiman
    Free Member
    andyxxx
    Free Member

Yetiman
    Searching the forum sometimes helps [/i]

Yes but if you search the post you refer me to it asks which winter boot won WMB review. – I asked what the readers of this forum liked best.

Any way – obviously of interest to a number of readers even if a similar post has been placed earlier

robgarrioch

PROMO CODE – If you're ordering from the site I suggested earlier, enter discount code 'XMAS'…

(bit bloody late when they send you that after yer order 👿 )
    (still a good shop though..)

z1ppy

Don't the MT-90's laces kinda get in the way??

They have a little elastic band that on the front of the boot to tuck the laces into.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Most of us locally are using Shimano MWs but one of the gang recently bought a pair of Gaernes because his size shimanos weren't available.
    So far he's been very impressed with the Gaernes. Their cuff extends further up the ankle than the Shimanos.

Blower
    Free Member

liking my northwave so far,nice warm and dry my feet are, 🙂
    small fitting though,so go a size bigger,im on a 48,big footed git i am.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

My Northwave Celcius are just going into their 3rd season and they have been fantastic, chose them mainly as I find Shimano shoes uncomfortable.
    Very warm, very dry – until it comes in from the top. Overall been impressed for the £80 they cost in the first place.

woodsman
    Free Member

LAKE – ffs!

fbk
    Free Member

Ok, following on from this thread. Does anyone know why no-one sells these Shimano MT90s any more. They look ideal but the only ones I can find are in silly small sizes…

nickc

Hmmmm, I'll be the fly in the Shimano love-in soup, shall I? Rode to in biblical conditions, all styles of winter "weatherproof" boots, all of us got soaking wet feet, eventually water will get in. Now, some of us had colder feet than others so were a bit more comfy, but we all got equally wet

richcc
    Free Member

I wanted mw80s as all reports seemed to rate them highly. Problem is they never get deeply discounted. Picked up NW celsius in summer for £60ish. Worn for a couple if rides and pleased with them

the_lecht_rocks

pittards leather LAKE's.
    no other winter boot can offer the comfort, warmth or longevity.
    mine are 4 winters old and like new as i use nikwax on them regularly.
    all other shoes are utterly inferior.
    however, i live where it get's properly cold…….these are simplyu the best available…….

the_lecht_rocks

one concession is that the BOA lacing system is a wee bit suspect, but moorelarge are good to get spares.

ton

tlr, i would rather have blocks of ice for my feet than wear them spas boots…………… 😉

the_lecht_rocks

ton – function over form for me every time.
    i ride about 120 miles a week in winter [including commuting] currently, so care not how i look, just how comfortable i can make it.
    fwiw, i assume you've now sought help 😀

sadexpunk

i keep on looking for some decent priced lakes, but never seem to find any 🙁

function over form for me too 🙂

ton

tlr, i did not need help.
    just cheering up.
    your footwear choice has worked wonders 😉

the_lecht_rocks

ton – glad to be of service.
    imaging ron hill bikesters tucked in with the reflective stripe apparent 😀
    fookin orrible to look at yet i've yet to be killed 😀

Kahurangi

I got some of the Lake MX302 thingys yesterday – the folk at the bike shop were keen to get rid (bought for himself but off the bike for a length of time due to back problems) at a silly price.

Ride out today – more wet than cold but performed fantastically. Great leather that'll last an age. Bit of DWR on the neoprene and they'll be unbeatable. I normally get cold foot on a normal ride, I'm used to a thorough painful defrosting on anything approaching zero. They're great but not sure if I would have ever parted with the cash at full price!

As a concession they're not hard to clean after a ride. They finish the ride clean and the mud just won't stick. Ace.

They're like t_l_r's but don't actually think they're that fugly in the flesh.

the_lecht_rocks

mine are 4 years old – pic took tonight – they'rfe now in service again as the temps are down to -2 deg C up here.
    they clean up well, but do need TLC and nikwax if used regularly – look after them and they'll look after you – a truly excellent product.

Kahurangi

Do you proof the neoprene with anything? I'm not going to go rubbing Nikwax into the neoprene but it does seem to be the only way for the water to get in.

the_lecht_rocks

jont – no need – they hook up real tight and are repellant to water anyway. excellent 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which winter boots?’ is closed to new replies.